Val d'or trip to Chibougamau

Hello QR members,

I was hoping for some input and recommendationd. We have done Vald'or and surrounding areas in the past but are planning to do a 5 day trip next week from Forestel in Vald'or to Centre de villegiature Marina Chibougamau.

We we planning on stopping our first night in Lebel-sur-Quevillon, 2nd night to Centre de villegiature Marina then return back on 93 the same way to Val d'or. We have not done this trip before and we hoping for some recommendations on where to stay, fuel stops and is this a reasonable itinerary or is there a better itinerary?  We have taken 83 from Parent to Lac Faillon last February and it was amazing, trails were wide and smooth!

TY in advance.

Not many options with the 5 day trip. All depends on how many KM per day. For example your first day if you go most direct to Lebel from Forestel it is less than 200km. So you need to find something to add some KM. Also that run from Val d’or to Seneterre then to Lebel is really fast trail. 

Gas in Seneterre and in Lebel. I have never stayed in Lebel but there is at least one place there but you need to verify its open. 

Maybe if you get to Lebel early you can gas up and backtrack just a bit out of town the way you come in and ride up the 396 trail direction Matagami. Ride up half way to the warming shack there then turn around and head back to Lebel. This all depends on your group. 

From Lebel to Chibougamau very straightforward (literally on the railbed) Should be gas in Demaraisville  (pay attention) it should be a short trail on your right headed up to Chibougamau. Takes you to the Depanneur there. Then is gas in Chapais then on to Chibougamau. 

Gas stop Desmaraisville 

E28D3528-6F8E-4C63-974D-137CC2E99A92.thumb.jpeg.e73b38f021ccb59b567456f9a8164563.jpeg

35 minutes ago, iceman said:

Not many options with the 5 day trip. All depends on how many KM per day. For example your first day if you go most direct to Lebel from Forestel it is less than 200km. So you need to find something to add some KM. Also that run from Val d’or to Seneterre then to Lebel is really fast trail. 

Gas in Seneterre and in Lebel. I have never stayed in Lebel but there is at least one place there but you need to verify its open. 

Maybe if you get to Lebel early you can gas up and backtrack just a bit out of town the way you come in and ride up the 396 trail direction Matagami. Ride up half way to the warming shack there then turn around and head back to Lebel. This all depends on your group. 

From Lebel to Chibougamau very straightforward (literally on the railbed) Should be gas in Demaraisville  (pay attention) it should be a short trail on your right headed up to Chibougamau. Takes you to the Depanneur there. Then is gas in Chapais then on to Chibougamau. 

Gas stop Desmaraisville 

E28D3528-6F8E-4C63-974D-137CC2E99A92.thumb.jpeg.e73b38f021ccb59b567456f9a8164563.jpeg

Thank you for taking the time to post this information iceman, I appreciate it. I know you have been on most of the trails in PQ is there another itinerary or area you would suggest for a 5-6 day saddle bag trip. We did Gaspe 2 winters ago and really enjoyed that as well!

1 hour ago, 2018RENAGADEXRS850 said:

Thank you for taking the time to post this information iceman, I appreciate it. I know you have been on most of the trails in PQ is there another itinerary or area you would suggest for a 5-6 day saddle bag trip. We did Gaspe 2 winters ago and really enjoyed that as well!

You are doing the right trip. Maybe shake it up and go up the first day to Matagami from Amos up the 396. Sleep Hotel Matagami. Then down 396 gas in Lebel and go to Chibougamau or stay in Chapais. Then back down 93 to Lebel. Then back to Val d’or, you could also go to Lac Fallon for one night then back to Val d’or.

7 hours ago, 2018RENAGADEXRS850 said:

Hello QR members,

I was hoping for some input and recommendationd. We have done Vald'or and surrounding areas in the past but are planning to do a 5 day trip next week from Forestel in Vald'or to Centre de villegiature Marina Chibougamau.

We we planning on stopping our first night in Lebel-sur-Quevillon, 2nd night to Centre de villegiature Marina then return back on 93 the same way to Val d'or. We have not done this trip before and we hoping for some recommendations on where to stay, fuel stops and is this a reasonable itinerary or is there a better itinerary?  We have taken 83 from Parent to Lac Faillon last February and it was amazing, trails were wide and smooth!

TY in advance.

Motel du Lac in Lebel S Q is fine, no supper only a nice continental breakfast. I suggest OPC Deli for supper. I would make the 93/83 loop as smclelan no problem to pull off in 5 days. One thing to check on is earlier in the season there was no gas at the lumber mill so you need to find out for sure if there is gas there on your way from Chibougamau to Saint Felecien. If that’s not in the cards Iceman gave you great info also. Happy trails and post some pics of the trip 👍

Edited by Pipeman

11 minutes ago, 2018RENAGADEXRS850 said:

Thank you. Yes I was looking at that, it would be about 400km a day. Was looking at fuel stops after Chibougamau looked too a little scarce towards Roberval. Is the 93 a nice trail?

93 from Chibougamau to La Dore no gas until La Dore about 160 Miles. Nice trail when its nice. Yes. 

3 hours ago, 2018RENAGADEXRS850 said:

Thank you all for your help, it’s been valuable. The big loop 93/83 makes me a little worried as only one of our guys carries fuel. Let me verify what my new 850 will do in terms of fuel mileage.

Depends on trail conditions-if you have to push new snow etc.!

7.9 gal is equivalent to 30L so he you should have had another 2gal/8L to empty. Possibly another 32 miles at the rate you were going. 164 miles total.  A little extra gas with reasonable conditions makes by-passing the sawmill easily doable. The Ski Doo LinQ fuel caddies are 3 or 4 gal capacity. 

12 hours ago, smclelan said:

7.9 gal is equivalent to 30L so he you should have had another 2gal/8L to empty. Possibly another 32 miles at the rate you were going. 164 miles total.  A little extra gas with reasonable conditions makes by-passing the sawmill easily doable. The Ski Doo LinQ fuel caddies are 3 or 4 gal capacity. 

If you leave the stackable can in your trailer all summer it expands and you can squeeze in an extra half gallon...😂