Pittsburg - New Hampshire

Mac

We rode last week in Pittsburg NH.  My first experience in NH.  I'm never going back.  I saw more tickets handed out than ive ever seen anywhere before at $250 each.  The Sheriff and his trusty assistant sat in one place and wrote tickets for hours if not all day.  The logging trail was acceptable to ride on and spilled out onto a township road.  Fifty yards ahead and everyone is ticketed.  As we pulled back into town after riding in the northern sections near the Canadian border they were still writing tickets four hours later.  I let him know the tourism dollars support his town of 813 people. I told him this was nothing more than a money grab. Finally i told him i was never coming back.  He took that and OK.

Were the tickets for speed or riding the town road or something else?

Not defending the police here but wondering why so many were being ticketed. Pittsburg gets a lot of traffic in a normal year and I’m sure they are crazy busy with Quebec shut and many New England states not having a lot of snow  

LOL, welcome to NH! Now you know why we all drive 8 hours to ride in Quebec! And you are correct it’s nothing more then income for the fish and game, they sit on the biggest smoothest trails and hand out speeding tickets while people are crashing in the woods and it doesn’t matter to them.

Stayed at Lopstick once. We were in the lower lodge by rte 3 and the office is up the hill on the other side of a town road. Rode my sled up the road to the office and back down the road to the lodge. Someone staying in a another room asked me if I got stopped and ticketed. There was no signs or warnings to stay off the road and the cops park there giving tickets out like beer nuts to people staying there. I got just got lucky.

An upside of Pittsburg's popularity is there are other areas just south that have much less traffic and are as good as their neighbors north of them.  

I have been riding Pittsburg since I was a kid.   The rules have always been no riding on plowed roads.  Exceptions are emergencies.   Usually in the sections of trail that meets a plowed roads,  the club has posted numerous reddish orange and black NO snowmobile signs.   If you ride beyond the signs,  you get a ticket.   I'm not defending law enforcement on this one.    I'd like to know the place they were writing tickets.