Lac Taureau Run

iceman

Well this trip came together very quickly. With this week being spring break for Mrs.Ice she was looking to get out there as things are winding down time wise for her. Unfortunately I made some promises I could not keep. What started as a quiet week turned into a marathon. Scheduled to ride Tuesday however not in the cards. Wednesday we agreed on an afternoon ride as Mrs was busy in the morning. Well I was busy all day and into the night. Returning 8pm Wednesday night, I had time to shower and eat. When my phone started to play that tune at 9:30pm, this cannot be good. Long story short. Emergency call for Ville of Shawinigan, back to garage for midnight. 300’ of sewer and two manholes filled with sand due to a broken water main. Let the games begin. Cold and windy not very fun. Got home at 10am. Told boss unless sky is falling or on fire do not think about calling me. 

The culprit, was a 2” line and the cap blew right off the end.

9CEF3BF3-A8AD-4622-BAB5-956F920D975A.thumb.jpeg.6bea22fa23ce6ccfef0b593bcc0095f5.jpeg

This is after, Hydro-Excavation and cleaning the sewer, the 4” is a connection for the house also full of sand. 

5D553DE0-8F76-4874-9E23-B8E9A42A460C.thumb.jpeg.1d774f72b3c2fb55ee264298fce7aa1c.jpeg

DDB8D15A-CC0E-4523-AA9B-21C287995535.thumb.jpeg.553af3ac7f8907934bddeaaeb6964d9b.jpeg

well that leaves just Friday and the weekend 

to be continued.

Thursday night we are strategizing, Caro has a friend Claudia who is a new rider, her and a friend are trailering to St Raymond Friday to ride up to L’etape and back. No way we can ride to St Raymond in time to join up with them. But, on Saturday morning they are leaving from Mattawin to ride to Lac Taureau and back. My alarm bells are going off bigtime. It’s alot closer to St Michael then I would like to be but mostly all big trail and life is short. I am a bit hesitant to ride with people I do not know. However, Caro shows me some other rides this gang has done this year. I tell her arrange it. We will meet them in Mattawin Saturday morning.

Mattawin being 120km from home and then 140km to Auberge Taureau not to mention we would have to leave at 5:30-6:00am to rendezvous in Mattawin. I called to Marineau in Mattawin and booked a room for Friday and Saturday. 

To be continued.

Edited by iceman

Friday Afternoon 

we pack up and leave out around 2pm. Not bad near home badly deteriorating closer to Shawinigan sud. Still lots of snow just brown and bumpy. Through Lac a Tortue and like usual the farther from Shawinigan the better it is getting. Still a bit rough on the gas line part of 23 into Herouxville, better as we approach St Tite. No big rush for us just need to arrive in time to order some takeout from restaurant that closes at 7pm. 

We stop for the bathroom break in St Tite. Then onward on 23 still just so so. We arrive at 360 and I am thinking “this could be heaven or this could be hell” 

Sorry Scorpionbowl you missed it again. I cannot believe how nice this trail is. Being in the woods it really set up nice and does not get alot of sun so it has held up. Beautiful ride up to St Joseph de Mekinac 9/10 that trail.

Just ouside St Joseph in the twisty pine section just before popping out by the now closed relais/auberge, I spy through the trees flashing yellow lights, tight left hander. Groomer. Starting his run early as it’s not quite even 4pm. 

Another great learning experience for Mrs Ice as she has never had to move over and let a groomer pass.. Very tight here I had told her stay back and she was stopped a good distance behind me. I had to back up so he could swing the corner. I pull one ski off the trail and he can just squeeze by me. She is not so sure of this but I tell her just stay where you are do not move he will go by you. He manages to cheat it over to the right, much easier for him with the wide tracks, then he moves the drag enough for my girl to pass on by. 

She is impressing me greatly each time we ride. She is becoming quite the rider and always asking great questions, which tells me she really wants to learn. 

Quick stop in St Joseph then we continue on. The trail to Mattawin is a 11/10 unreal how nicely set up. We rip it over to gas and hotel. Unbelievably beautiful trail from St Tite all the way to Mattawin. 

Check in park them sleds and we are happy. Lots of sleds here. 

120km

https://www.relive.cc/view/v7O9VGegWQ6

Edited by iceman

23 minutes ago, iceman said:

Friday Afternoon 

we pack up and leave out around 2pm. Not bad near home badly deteriorating closer to Shawinigan sud. Still lots of snow just brown and bumpy. Through Lac a Tortue and like usual the farther from Shawinigan the better it is getting. Still a bit rough on the gas line part of 23 into Herouxville, better as we approach St Tite. No big rush for us just need to arrive in time to order some takeout from restaurant that closes at 7pm. 

We stop for the bathroom break in St Tite. Then onward on 23 still just so so. We arrive at 360 and I am thinking “this could be heaven or this could be hell” 

Sorry Scorpionbowl you missed it again. I cannot believe how nice this trail is. Being in the woods it really set up nice and does not get alot of sun so it has held up. Beautiful ride up to St Joseph de Mekinac 9/10 that trail.

Just ouside St Joseph in the twisty pine section just before popping out by the now closed relais/auberge, I spy through the trees flashing yellow lights, tight left hander. Groomer. Starting his run early as it’s not quite even 4pm. 

Another great learning experience for Mrs Ice as she has never had to move over and let a groomer pass.. Very tight here I had told her stay back and she was stopped a good distance behind me. I had to back up so he could swing the corner. I pull one ski off the trail and he can just squeeze by me. She is not so sure of this but I tell her just stay where you are do not move he will go by you. He manages to cheat it over to the right, much easier for him with the wide tracks, then he moves the drag enough for my girl to pass on by. 

She is impressing me greatly each time we ride. She is becoming quite the rider and always asking great questions, which tells me she really wants to learn. 

Quick stop in St Joseph then we continue on. The trail to Mattawin is a 11/10 unreal how nicely set up. We rip it over to gas and hotel. Unbelievably beautiful trail from St Tite all the way to Mattawin. 

Check in park them sleds and we are happy. Lots of sleds here. 

120km

https://www.relive.cc/view/v7O9VGegWQ6

pretty neat mapping of topography

It was great to be back at Marineau in Mattawin, lots of fond memories here, well along with Le Montangard and of Auberge Mekinac. I miss Richard and Edgar. 

It was at Mattawin when I was a much younger Jedi that I first met the Florida Snowman as he was arriving for a trip as we had just returned. 

This is a great stop being a short 2-3 hrs back to home so makes for a great first night if we leave in the afternoon or a great last night to get back home early. 

Now this year with the river trail being closed it’s definitely only one option for the quick ride up or back but with the river that makes two. Nice. 

Hotel has limited menu 

749C9741-47EA-4421-A6CD-FB5A4C2AE461.thumb.jpeg.e89fe92ec044bfb7d06b39344be0c82c.jpeg

you order and go upstairs to pick up and eat in room. Closes at 7pm so last pickup is 6:45. They offer some prepared box breakfasts too. But we just stocked up on stuff from Depanneur across the street. Two bite brownies and blue powerade are much better than a box with a croissant and an apple. 

I have started a lot of saddlebag trips at 3 in the afternoon, ride 2.5 hours there, eat dinner and get on the trail by 7am to stay in front of everyone else, nice people there and good food, very convenient, but you do not want to loose 2 hours there at lunch on the weekend. 

2 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

I have started a lot of saddlebag trips at 3 in the afternoon, ride 2.5 hours there, eat dinner and get on the trail by 7am to stay in front of everyone else, nice people there and good food, very convenient, but you do not want to loose 2 hours there at lunch on the weekend. 

Agreed 100%

Saturday 

We had our improvised breakfast, got dressed and headed over to the Parc entrance to meet up with Claudia and Denis. I have never met either of them. They arrive late. I know we aint got that far to go so whatever but times a wasting. Today will be a big day for Caro as the original plan is to go up 360 then go around La Taureau to St Michael then back through Cabanon and over barrage Taureau back on 360 to Mattawin. I calculated like 320km. Being as Caro has never done more than 220km in a day this was gonna be pushing her a bit. 

Anyway I meet Claudia and Denis. She has a renegade 900 ace and he has a 850 backcountry. Turns out she has been riding about 3 years. Denis is the Rookie in his first season. Being it was their party and we were just joining in. I told them you go first we will follow. This gave me a chance to size up their technique and see just what’s up. 

Right out the gate a slight further delay as a skidder was felling trees right at the start of the trail near the parking there. The road is not plowed and I wanted to just burn up the road to get going but, did not want to seize control. 

DD6B0A35-E83E-4FB1-87C7-2E350BA6609E.thumb.jpeg.6a0d82ab8ee23b77e47e6cff6f91f73f.jpeg

DDFDECDB-37F0-4F1A-BB91-CD4A584CFB71.thumb.jpeg.cc9f005cb6bcfdca0e8e072c9448ba31.jpeg

To be continued.

Edited by iceman

We get going. I cannot really see Denis as he is leading but I do know one thing, I am not used to being 3rd in line. I like to lead and that will not change. Claudia goes pretty good she is keeping right, much more than I expected. Doing a fine job, I give her lots of space as I can tell she is nervous when I can see her she is checking her mirrors constantly, maybe too much. I back it off more. Now I got mrs Ice i had told her you have been on this trail before you like it. She does and she is ready to run. 

trail is perfect in Parc 10/10. We hang back and stay close enough to stay in sight. When its straight. Fast run to intersection for Repos. Here, Denis who had been up here once is ready to go toward Repos. I had to explain nicely this was not the right way. He pulls out his cell phone and I think ok he is gonna show me IMotoneige, Negative he pulls up a photo he took his first time up here. Shows photo of VTT trail sign 257 i think. Sure enough there is a 257 (I don’t remember exactly which number as I have no VTT trail number knowledge) going up toward repos. I explain that is a VTT sign and means nothing to me. He is very cool and so is Claudia she just follows him. I told him trust me I kinda been around this block many times. 

I wanted to be (and was) super polite. He had let Claudia lead a bit but she wanted none of that. Denis goes at a good speed. Caro is faster than Claudia and more on the right. 

At this point. He says we will follow you. Perfect. Back to the point where I belong. We head on toward the Barrage trail is top shape no one has caught us from behind however the traffic is starting to pass heading the other way. At days end Claudia said she has never seen that many sleds pass in one day. There was alot for sure but not a record breaker. Big trail in great shape all good. We cruise on and arrive at Auberge Lac Taureau, i been by here lots never been inside. Bisto bar is open we park and head on in. 

CD0356D9-B446-4887-878B-DACAE15E1723.thumb.jpeg.2ef806a24a2cf4b192f01c4d045c6d77.jpeg

241C23BB-7542-4119-8C90-47B1A5D53B27.thumb.jpeg.218fe95b9b35e793d34ddb3159d80a9b.jpeg

9A183DF2-F79C-4AC9-9844-95929BD291D6.thumb.jpeg.bcddd6eeeb0b06a0274162759bfe19f9.jpeg

215F8F94-B4B4-40C2-8B9C-2D9C87BE08FD.thumb.jpeg.e666a7b182d32f2d179d5d149138d1d9.jpeg

A851EA97-6617-4389-ABFF-1F121988C723.thumb.jpeg.6fa7b9a6f61f1e51a2fd48bdd8e6f99c.jpeg

8465FCE6-FE44-4180-8D30-96A1F4F5257B.thumb.jpeg.5ef1892644c4f14e540123b685f2c529.jpeg

FBDF3941-552A-4C3D-86E3-A081343A79A9.jpeg

4FC3A459-C19C-47C0-9858-2F05C09B4330.jpeg

The world is small we crossed you and Caro twice around the Taureau lake yesterday, we were doing the loop reverse as you from Pourvoirie du Lac-Blanc where Snowcruiser and me dropped the sleds from the trailers. We first crossed you between the #33 junction and the road side section on the west side of the lake and then on the #345 middle way between the dam and the Cabanon.

No chances you would reconized me with my new ride but even I had not noticed your stickers, the lights on your apex are very distinctive+ on a blue and a white/red yammy I had highly doubt is was you. Don't worry, all your group was perfectly on their side of the trail!👍

Glad you had the chance to enjoy those good trail conditions. in contrary of other years, it's the souther trails that turned to junk at the end of the saturdays and the north trails hold pretty well, way batter than south...Curfew/covid effect... all is different this year! 

thanks for the pics report 😍

Edited by towing

7 hours ago, towing said:

The world is small we crossed you and Caro twice around the Taureau lake yesterday, we were doing the loop reverse as you from Pourvoirie du Lac-Blanc where Snowcruiser and me dropped the sleds from the trailers. We first crossed you between the #33 junction and the road side section on the west side of the lake and then on the #345 middle way between the dam and the Cabanon.

No chances you would reconized me with my new ride but even I had not noticed your stickers, the lights on your apex are very distinctive+ on a blue and a white/red yammy I had highly doubt is was you. Don't worry, all your group was perfectly on their side of the trail!👍

Glad you had the chance to enjoy those good trail conditions. in contrary of other years, it's the souther trails that turned to junk at the end of the saturdays and the north trails hold pretty well, way batter than south...Curfew/covid effect... all is different this year! 

thanks for the pics report 😍

I am always on the lookout for you. But as you said I would not have known the new sled. Yes it is for sure a small world.

Saturday continued....

After wrapping up a much longer stop than I would have liked. Sure it took a bit of time to order then take your food and drinks and eat outside in a nice setting for sure. Well protected from wind with fire pits going. 

The girls enjoyed their visit for sure to Auberge Lac Taureau. Claudia had a chance to warm up as she was very cold. It really was not cold but she was. The original plan had us now jumping on reservoir and going into town to gas up and then pass by Le Cabanon then over barrage and back. 

It was now 2:15 pm. I called an audible and we gas here at Taureau and return the same trail we came on. No reason to go into town and by Cabanon. Trail was mint all the way here why go anywhere else. We gas and head on back. Smooth as silk to junction for Barrage. Being as Caro and Claudia have never seen the Barrage, we head up and take a few pictures. Caro has been to Cabanon and St Michael in the past but this was when Barrage was closed to sleds and 345 was using the trail with the bridge. 

We continue back to Mattawin and stretch it out, some real nice runs here. Caro remembered this trail as soon as we started this morning so she was really enjoying this and she was moving along quite well. We had stopped a few times to chat but not alot and as we neared the end of the 360 where it meets the road. I took the road like many others. A bit shorter and alot faster. At the parking we said goodbye to Claudia and Denis and we for sure will ride again. 

We headed for Marineau got gassed up and all tucked in the room by 5:30. Great day of riding. 

280km a new daily record for Caro. 

We got to build her up slowly so she can make it to 350km then we can really go places. 

EAAB1741-DEA1-4345-BB24-5957C898B1AB.thumb.jpeg.727c415ebdb6d61f6a81e2b6a73ed8cf.jpeg

95A9412F-C344-4476-84AE-B410D1032A0C.thumb.jpeg.b64a3e3e1fea13b3041d1dd544235d43.jpeg

92EA6D27-B811-4370-8C55-2833196D6CCC.thumb.jpeg.0c4dee58a4476da4d711bfb6b875d9f1.jpeg

CA372726-C2EF-4F91-89E3-98EC2F61D462.thumb.jpeg.ccfbf75621d414c9a8e4e5f82426f379.jpeg

Sunday Am

up and out 7am 

beautifully groomed all the way to 23 in St Tite. Great ride back until Shawinigan just not ever that good lately near town, always rough. Gas in Lac a Tortue and down to chez nous. Sleds in garage and all done 10:15am. 

Sweet fast 120km back

520km for the 2 days 

1 full day and two 3 hr runs. 

93FDE818-31B1-4C06-9C8C-E3E1C67B5015.thumb.jpeg.fc7292fd3a4726c4d8287445f2cb885e.jpeg

42BF6EC2-B8E0-4F01-87F0-D679B1AD5AA6.thumb.jpeg.2fe4246c7ef29e4934059bd7460a6211.jpeg

3D9D1DC2-36A6-465A-957F-0D9EDC7E62B6.thumb.jpeg.98c45b6697dd57f8d4eac12fde06aa6f.jpeg

C6612ED8-437B-44C9-AEBD-EDE7439FA816.thumb.jpeg.f5d1ee2a1c38df7ae1ba1f7edad4c03b.jpeg

0831687B-F649-4920-817A-ED7DBFA2CDE0.thumb.jpeg.1a887eed84ec6720aae3fed79b9190f3.jpeg

19 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

Nice write up Ice, I am getting worried that these posts may be all we get.....next season too...hate to say that, be well, Bob.

Thanks Bob

I am trying to stay positive on next year, not easy to do. 

1 hour ago, quebec bob said:

Nice write up Ice, I am getting worried that these posts may be all we get.....next season too...hate to say that, be well, Bob.

Can't see that.  Once a good portion of the population is vaccinated there is no good reason to keep it closed.  Having it open benefits folks on both sides.

18 hours ago, quebec bob said:

I would not be surprised that by end of summer the USA will be ahead of Canada with percentage vaccinated. We will be riding Quebec next winter....and have a greater appreciation of snowmobiling in Quebec. 

2 hours ago, GT Rider said:

Thanks for the ride Mr & Mrs Ice. Very happy to see you get out on the trails.

I sure hope we get back next season.

I got my first shot last week. Mrs GT finished both last month.

I got Moderna last week as well , really looking forward to this being over!!

6 hours ago, smclelan said:

I would not be surprised that by end of summer the USA will be ahead of Canada with percentage vaccinated. We will be riding Quebec next winter....and have a greater appreciation of snowmobiling in Quebec. 

I had some good small trail, woods riding in north west New York, trails were incredible, but a lot of road course America , steering lock to steering lock, 150 mile day feels like 300, but we rode, and it sure makes you appreciate Quebec.

9 hours ago, smclelan said:

US is already miles ahead of Canada in vaccinations.  You guys are vaccinating more people in a single day then we've done in total.  America first as Trump said.  Our supply of vaccines has been next to nothing to date.  Sounds like it's finally starting to change but I don't foresee us catching the US on a per capita basis anytime soon.

On 3/7/2021 at 6:25 PM, iceman said:

It was at Mattawin when I was a much younger Jedi that I first met the Florida Snowman as he was arriving for a trip as we had just returned

Seems like yesterday Don but that was many, many moons ago my friend!  Glad you got another ride in with Caroline. Send my best. 

Have fun & enjoy!