Need Suggestions For 3 Day Trip With Wife

TTA89

Hi All,

We ride NH & VT and have never ridden in Canada.  I'd like to plan an early/mid March trip for 2022 and I'm having a problem deciphering all the different areas available. My wife is a casual trail rider who loves the scenery and finding great places to stop for food and a beer.  She is good for a 150 mile days.  All the regions are confusing as I'm not really sure geographically where I should be looking and could use some guidance.   We would be crossing the border from Vermont on 91 and then I'd like to give a 4 hour driving range from there in any direction.  Where does that get us?  As our first trip, I'd like to find a nice hotel to use as a basecamp to explore and not do a backpack trip on our first visit.  I've seen the Snowtrax episode about the  Manoir Richelue which looks awesome.  I checked the trail map and it doesn't look like there is much variety if we just go out of there for 3 days?  Maybe I'm wrong?  I've seen a lot of people suggest west of Quebec City? 

I'm thinking we drive up on a Monday and ride Tues-Wed-Thurs and drive home Friday.  No weekends. 

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Mike

sleds.thumb.jpg.f143c0367ab14d4472704acb145a34b6.jpg

Any trip with the wife will be a place or places with Spa Nordiques or at least indoor pool.  

Richeliu La Malbaie - long drive

The 4 Points or whatever its called now - Quebec City

Auberge Vieux Moulin - St Zenon area - bring locks

Manior Lac William Victoriaville area (Chaudiere Appalaches)

L'Esterel - cool place  north of St. Jerome.

For me I could go any of those places and come up with decent ride out and back using GPS planning and viaexplora/imotoneige.

http://fcmq.viaexplora.com/indexen.html#map

Now that I ride out of Maine we are hoping to do a tour of the La Cache hotels in lower Chaudiere by leaving from Jackman area.

Who knows post-covid what places may be gone.

Hi Mike,

sweet wrap.   
3 hours from Stanstead would put you in St Raymond.  The place to stay is the Roquemont.  I consider it safe.  From there you could go to L’Etape and back one day.  La Tuque and back the next day.  Day 3 would be your choice.   I know you said basecamp for the first time, but if you felt like it you could go to the Saguenay day one and base camp 2 days there.  It’s 180 miles from the Roquemont to the Saguenay region straight up 23.  Plenty of options to stay up there.  Most use the Delta. 
George

It would be pretty hard to go wrong starting in the Riviere du loup area. The grooming is top notch and you can put on a lot of miles and never be too far from your home base. Really easy to cut a day short or extend it, as you may find that a 150 miles is an easier day on their trails. And (pre-Covid) there are lots of trail side stops and services. The Universal and the Levesque are two to the better hotels in town. Most years the second week of March is safe for snow around town.

10 hours ago, Je me souviens said:

Hi Mike,

sweet wrap.   
3 hours from Stanstead would put you in St Raymond.  The place to stay is the Roquemont.  I consider it safe.  From there you could go to L’Etape and back one day.  La Tuque and back the next day.  Day 3 would be your choice.   I know you said basecamp for the first time, but if you felt like it you could go to the Saguenay day one and base camp 2 days there.  It’s 180 miles from the Roquemont to the Saguenay region straight up 23.  Plenty of options to stay up there.  Most use the Delta. 
George

Depending on how much you want to spend, in the same area with trail running through the property is this place:

https://www.auchaletenboisrond.com/en/

The roquemont is basically a motel - as opposed to having your own chalet/hot tub etc.

https://www.auchaletenboisrond.com/en/cottages-for-rent

English spoken, cook your own meals or order in. Wife will like it much better. Plenty of trails. Fuel in St. Raymond or bring your own gas cans.

With regard to the St. Zenon  mention above, snow if more consistent north of the seven falls area. Try this place:

https://condoslactaureau.com

Edited by slomo

Ditto-ditto-ditto. 

These are central to grooming hubs & gas & restos.

And anywhere anytime definitely check the morning grooming reports on fcmq/viaexplora. 

Delta for Saguenay. 

Universal RDL for Bas-St-Laurent.

Cabanon for St Zenon. 

Roquemont St Raymond for Portneuf/etc/etc, has honeymoon suite upstairs right over the front desk & micro brew/resto on site, gotta ride 1-2 miles into city for gas & major retail. 

Fave "Home away from Home" Drakkar Shawinigan Sud, best local hospitality, everything a short drive or delivered, just not sure about snow conditions at this time. 

And yes yes yes the Manoir Richelieu is yummers, with biggest challenge getting the Mrs back onto the trails after getting a taste of the spa. 

Edited by PLAYHARD

Thanks for the tips guys, I will google through them all and come back. 🙂  She doesn't need a spa or hot tub but some of that looks awesome as we haven't done it.  It's more about having a decent dinner (Think Rainbow Grill in Pittsiburg, NH for those that have been there) and not putting her on single track trails with 100 sleds coming at at us all day. 🙂

Edited by TTA89

My wife is not a big rider.... so I know the 4 Points\Doubletree had a shuttle into Old Quebec.... ( Call to Confirm )

-St Raymond to Letape and down to 4 Points, for Day one

-Take the Shuttle into QC for Dinner and Shopping, Day two-ish

-I believe you can do a few small looping routes to St Ray on Day 3.

Just a thought...

GutZ

Wow... Some awesome places to stay!  I think I'm sold on the Universel RDL.  On the website, it looks better than the Richelieu, not sure.  Riding out of the Universel looks like a lot of options for not having to ride the same areas over and over.   Maybe have to do 3 days of riding and 1 Nordic Spa day in the middle! 

Any special trails or points of interest we should look for on the trails?  I have a GPS with GPS Trailmasters so not too worried about finding our way around.

Thanks guys!  I can't believe I have to wait a year.  Boo..

Edited by TTA89

As for the Universal RDL vs Richelieu.... I'm a Fairmont Fan..... 

But if you're there for 3 Days, and looking to do 3 loops from one location, the Universal is very good place.

And Mayor Mike will most likely be in residence with good suggestions.

GutZ

I spend six to seven weeks each winter at the RDL Universel Hotel. The hotel is awesome as a place to base out of, having two restaurants, a cozy small bar, a huge Spa, pool, saunas, hot tubs, heated sled garages, you name it. They also offer several different levels of rooms depending on your needed level of luxury. 

RDL also offers all types of restaurants,  some within a couple blocks and many in their old downtown section of the city, a mile away, and the latter a romantic evening walking through the old downtown on a snowy evening. 

Caught up in a blizzard while in RDL, visit the Polaris and Skidoo dealers, both are large and impressive. Two blocks away is a small indoor mall which I hear is known for exceptionally fine high end women's clothing. 

But in the end, go for the RDL snowmobile experience. The trails are just plain awesomely groomed and beautiful scenery. . Great food stops along the way. And the club houses! There is a club house about every twenty five miles leaving RDL that truly offers the flavor of the area.

mike

19 hours ago, TTA89 said:

We ride NH & VT and have never ridden in Canada. 

This is one big problem.....You might never want to go back to riding NH & VT. 

Seriously though some great suggestions above. 

When I read your original post I thought Rivere du Loup or Four Points/Doubletree with free shuttle to see Old Quebec City. 

2 hours ago, iceman said:

Seriously though some great suggestions above. 

When I read your original post I thought Rivere du Loup or Four Points/Doubletree with free shuttle to see Old Quebec City. 

Hah, I'm sure it's great but it's not a weekend trip.  Riding out of the garage at home is pretty sweet 🙂

I just read your ride report from last week, should I be worried about booking the 1st week of March?  I'd like some extra light and shoot for decent temps and weather.

40 minutes ago, TTA89 said:

I just read your ride report from last week, should I be worried about booking the 1st week of March?  I'd like some extra light and shoot for decent temps and weather.

This year is not a normal snowfall year. Not near as much as usual. I and many others here have gone out of Rivere du Loup most years into April no problems. First week of March is usually perfect. 

40 minutes ago, TTA89 said:

I would agree with the above thoughts of your first trip staging out of the Universal in RDL.  Lots of different daily loops and great scenery.  This year is a little different then most with lower then normal snow levels, however I would recommend planning the first week of March. 

7 hours ago, iceman said:
On 3/14/2021 at 8:08 PM, TTA89 said:

We ride NH & VT and have never ridden in Canada. 

Sounds exactly like my 1st phone call with New England Bob's Quebec Adventures, 20 years ago, and he was 100% right.