La Verandryie up for sale

Jackstraw

My wife and I looked heavily at purchasing two different motel/restaurants over the last few years, one in Northern New Brunswick and one in the Charlevoix. The math is not even close to nice, It's a miracle that a lot of these places are even open at all...

10 hours ago, dooright said:

What's the saying ... To make a small fortune ...Sometimes you  start with a big one !

Running a business, any business ...you really need to pay attention...these small outfitters in the bush....it is all about the occupancy rate...when we are there and it is packed...it all looks great...they are drowning in cash....but 5 months of the year...they are trying to cover for when there is nobody there..but still a ton of work to be done and paid for....out in the bush...this job is demanding...both physically and financially.

35 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

...it all looks great...they are drowning in cash....but 5 months of the year...they are trying to cover for when there is nobody there..but still a ton of work to be done and paid for....out in the bush...this job is demanding...both physically and financially.

So you're in Robert?!

38 minutes ago, PLAYHARD said:

So you're in Robert?!

Starting year 48 right now, 35 years without a lunch break, 46 years 7 days a week...I am closer everyday to r.t..i...r.....e.....m....e....n....t. I read Mike Rider's posts and dream all the time that it will be me sooner than later. When I was younger I would have loved to own a place out in the bush, probably like most of us on here, now I just want to spend time out there enjoying it, that's what we all work hard for, I really feel for these guys right now, they have put their heart and soul into it and they are being tested like never before and it is not their own doing.It is certainly something where you have to love it and follow your heart...and having a few bucks put away is a really big help...this is no time to be low on cash.

Some nice places for sale there. Given the upswing in prices of vacation property in parts of Ontario, you could buy one of those lodges listed for the equivalent price of a summer cabin - or camps as we call them where I come from - and not open them as a business - use as your year round vacation home. 

A lot of these outfitters have run their businesses based on a big clientele coming from South of the border. 2020 they lost all the spring bear hunt, spring and summer fishing, ATV traffic, the fall: big and small game hunting plus all the traffic from snowmobiles this past winter.  A full year of low occupancy.  Hopefully this does not mean the end of staying at Outfitters in the winter.