1.5" ice ripper in low snow

Signfan

How are these tracks when you get into low snow conditions / some what rocky conditions.  Nothing ridiculous, but we sometimes see less than perfect trails in my home riding area which is an area in the Canadian shield.  Are they more prone to issues than a 1.25" ice ripper?  Any other concerns with performance or longevity?  Currently swapping out a traditionally studded 1.25 x 16 track and looking at a 1.5 x 15 ice ripper as a replacement.  I figure there will be a top speed loss which I'm fine with.  I just don't want something that will cause me issues.

We have two guys in our group running that track on their 900 Turbos.  They have had no issues in 2500 miles.  Tracks are both perfect.  Sleds have not had any overheating problems in less than optimal conditions.  They run Vespel sliders, so virtually no slider wear.  They do not run scratchers.   Across the lake in Saint Anne du Lac they were seeing 109 MPH on the speedometer..  The other two turbos in the group are both tuned, so not a fair comparison.  The fuel usage seems to be about 1/10 - 2/10 more at the pump.  They definitely hook up a bit better than the 1.25” equipped turbos.  If it were an option on my Enduro, I would have opted for it. 

3 hours ago, GSX800 said:

fuel usage seems to be about 1/10 - 2/10 more at the pump

I recall this being the only tipping point in consideration against the 1.5" and in favor of the 1.25" with (extra thirsty) Apex XTX's.

In any case, we've never heard any (trail) riders say they miss their traditionally studded rigs.

Yeah I run a 1.25" x 129" ice ripper on my sled.  I love it.  This is for the wife's sled.  When I bought her sled used it was studded already.  On our last trip her sled threw a stud into her heat exchanger.  Was not a fun experience.  So I'm done with traditional studded tracks.  I'm not concerned going to the ice ripper at all.  Was more concerned if there was a risk going from 1.25" to a 1.5" lug height with reliability or performance.  Just looking at a good used track that happens to be 1.5".  Sounds like no real downside.  I appreciate the info guys.

We have the Ice Cobra ( 1.6-1.7 inch ) on one of the 1200s, it is factory with 10k on it, it's getting beat, I think the Ripper Style lug would hold up much better than the Cobra, so I'd say you'd be safe with it for sure.

I'm not sure you can get the 1.5 ripper from anywhere but the Doo Dealer.... Ca'Ching!

Later

GutZ

I have 1.5 IR on my 2020 XRS. On the hard fast trails I drop my scratchers to keep track lubed and cool. Over heating track bars regardless of track size leads to lug loss. Mine in perfect after 2 seasons.