Exchange rate

viper2

1 US Dollar = 1.21949 Canadian Dollar

1 Canadian Dollar (CAD) = 0.82001 US Dollar (USD)

current exchange rate per American express

I usually exchange US dollars for Canadian dollars on the way home on route 91 at the Duty Free shop on the Canadian side in Stanstead. I know this sounds backwards, but I plan ahead for the next trip or season. I have found that this is usually a better rate than the Amercian side in Derby when heading north, although there isn't a lot of difference.

This year I decided to try a Canadian bank. I stopped at a bank in Valcourt. I asked to exchange $1,000.00 US for Canadian. This is a bank very close to Bombardier and I figured they would have many visitors / tourists and be accustomed to exchanging money.

I gave the teller the US money, 10 one hundred dollar bills, my driver's license and passport. The teller looked closely at each bill, marked each bill with a marker / tester and apparently still wasn't satisfied. She brought the American money to another teller and I think the supervisor. Each person scurtinized the money. They held each bill up to the light looking for the security thread. I'm smiling all the time trying to be as pleasant as possible all the while feeling like a suspect.

Finally, everyone gave their approval and the teller started counting out the Canadian money. I thanked her very much and left.

The process took about fifteen minutes. The exchange rate was about the same as it would have been at Duty Free. I'm going to stick with the Duty Free shop. I've never been questioned about exchanging money there and it is quick.

All of the exchanges take a percentage and usually a transaction fee. I make larger excanges so I don't have to pay as many transaction fees.

Another couple that we ride with swears by using an ATM in Canada for the exchange. She says if she uses a debit card for the exchange, she gets a very good rate.

The few dollars that I save or don't save isn't a big deal when I look at the whole picture, convenience is what I'm looking for. $10,000 for that new sled, just as much for the wife's sled, $30,000 - $40,000 for that truck that I just have to have to tow the $10,000 trailer. Not to mention the insurance, gas, food, hotel rooms, etc. I'd rather keep things quick and simple so I can go out and ride. :D

Jack

Thanks for the feedback,we usually try to hit a bank one day on the trail.It seems you get the best exchange this way.I have exchanged money already at the duty free but they do nail you pretty good.As far as getting it exchanged before you go some banks charge a flat transaction fee plus it seems a bother to them.We usually try to have enough left over to get started the next year.I don't like to use my credit card either i want to pay as i play not paying for it all summer,maybe that's just me. :drinks:

Pump gas was between .70 and .75 CAD/L in the St. Come, St Donat, St Michael de Saints area. It was as high as 1.09 CAD/L at the stations near the gates of the Mt. Tremblant park.

Karl

Thanks sounds alot better than last year. :yahoo:

• 11 months later...

Info on buying Canadian dollars.

I usually buy Canadian dollars on the way home from Canada for the next trip up. I exchange U.S. dollars at the Canadian duty free store on Auotroute 55 / Rt 91, Derby Line, Vermont. Today I asked and the clerk said they stopped exchanging U.S. for Canadian last year (2009). :sad: They only exchange Canadian for U.S. Apparently this service is for Canadians going to the U.S. or for U.S. citizens that are not returning to Canada and want to get rid of their left over Canadian dollars.

I don’t know if this is true for all of the Duty Free Stores or just this one. I think the Duty Free Stores are independently owned and not Gov’t run. If they are independent, then there may be different policies on exchanging dollars.

Has anyone else run across this? Any input would be appreciated.

Jack

1 US Dollar = 1.21949 Canadian Dollar

1 Canadian Dollar (CAD) = 0.82001 US Dollar (USD)

current exchange rate per American express

$1.21 are you sure! On line it has been showing about $1.05 for the last month or so.

You are looking at a post from a year ago LOL

I am looking at the exchange rate posted as of right now on a program called DCurrency. It's an exchange rate program for money all over the world. As of right now, it's telling me $1.042 Canadian dollar for every 1 US dollar. I haven't seen anything close to 1.20 all year. You guys are lucky, I guess. I haven't been north yet, so I can't tell from experience for this year.

I am looking at the exchange rate posted as of right now on a program called DCurrency. It's an exchange rate program for money all over the world. As of right now, it's telling me $1.042 Canadian dollar for every 1 US dollar. I haven't seen anything close to 1.20 all year. You guys are lucky, I guess. I haven't been north yet, so I can't tell from experience for this year.

Guy's ya gotta look at the dates, this is a thread I started last year at this time so those rates are from last Jan. revct1 dug up this thread and added to it so that is why there is confusion. :pardon:

Info on buying Canadian dollars.

I usually buy Canadian dollars on the way home from Canada for the next trip up. I exchange U.S. dollars at the Canadian duty free store on Auotroute 55 / Rt 91, Derby Line, Vermont. Today I asked and the clerk said they stopped exchanging U.S. for Canadian last year (2009). :sad: They only exchange Canadian for U.S. Apparently this service is for Canadians going to the U.S. or for U.S. citizens that are not returning to Canada and want to get rid of their left over Canadian dollars.

I don’t know if this is true for all of the Duty Free Stores or just this one. I think the Duty Free Stores are independently owned and not Gov’t run. If they are independent, then there may be different policies on exchanging dollars.

Has anyone else run across this? Any input would be appreciated.

Jack

I know it does take a little time out of riding but,the best way to assure you get 100% of the rate is stop at the bank. Most towns you can ride right to it some you may have to walk a block or 2. I still got over $1500 from last year left so I guess I got lucky with the rates. We always try to have at least $300 to get started with from the year before. The other thing you can do if you like using your credit card is do that you will get 100% exchange with most cards. I prefer to use cash then it's all paid for when I leave. :drinks:

Edited by viper2

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys we are leaving for ST Raymond next week. Where is the best place to exchange money? From the post it looks like go to a bank in the town you are staying in. Is that correct? Is there a place off 91 going up through VT to exchange money also. I would like to have it all done and not have to worry about finding a bank in town. I tried the local banks here in NH and the airport and they charge a fee.

Thanks

I usually stop on my way back in from riding. When I stay at La Saguaneenne, the Desjardins is right on the trail about 1/8 mile from getting back for the night.

That sucks I saw it at the airport in Boston yesterday for 1.05 which is not much better. Maybe I wont exchange then if it is just about the same.

Thanks

exchange is only a $1.02 today. Why bother. I just use american cash and hav'nt been turned down yet !

I know it does take a little time out of riding but,the best way to assure you get 100% of the rate is stop at the bank. Most towns you can ride right to it some you may have to walk a block or 2. I still got over $1500 from last year left so I guess I got lucky with the rates. We always try to have at least $300 to get started with from the year before. The other thing you can do if you like using your credit card is do that you will get 100% exchange with most cards. I prefer to use cash then it's all paid for when I leave. :drinks:

Well now wait a minute, last year you only had to go across the street in chibigamou and they took rolled up dollars. I don't see where the problem is. Did i miss something?

Well now wait a minute, last year you only had to go across the street in chibigamou and they took rolled up dollars. I don't see where the problem is. Did i miss something?

:lol::rofl: yeah, I don't think they care about the exchange :good: Gizz I am leaving later today for St. Zenon, I will let everyone know the conditions. Are you going up to Haneyville this weekend? :drinks:

You can buy Canadian dollars at the American Duty Free Shop just before the Canadian Customs on Rt 91. Take the very last exit in the U.S. You will see Customs as you take the ramp. I think it is exit 29. The Duty Free Shop is a small building on the right. My stepson exchanged there on the way up yesterday. $1.00 U.S. bought .99 Canadian. :sad:

Jack :D

You can buy Canadian dollars at the American Duty Free Shop just before the Canadian Customs on Rt 91. Take the very last exit in the U.S. You will see Customs as you take the ramp. I think it is exit 29. The Duty Free Shop is a small building on the right. My stepson exchanged there on the way up yesterday. $1.00 U.S. bought .99 Canadian. :sad:

Jack :D

Man, that's terrible! Can't be right. That means the rate went to the negative. Must be the "fee" those duty free stops charge. It's showing $1 US = $1.03 CAD.

I remember getting $1.52 CAD for every $1 US. Ahhhhh those were the days.

This is a good site to use for an idea of true exchange rates:

http://www.xe.com/

I don't carry allot of Canadian cash; just enough for incidentals like lunch in clubhouses, and places that don't take cards. If you have an ATM card, you can use it at any of the Desjardins and get Canadian cash at the same exchange as posted that day on most exchanges.Using the credit card gives current exchange and I have a card that doesn't charge a "foreign transaction fee".

- This has always worked for me anyway

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54