Are ski wheels recommended on TQ 3?

Prp77

A group of us are planning a trip east on TQ 3 this coming February. We have not ridden in this area of Quebec before. Based on some trail reports folks have highly recommended having rouski or rollerski retractable wheels. But on other posts with pictures of sleds vast majority don’t have wheels. Not sure how far east we will make it, but looking on the official map it appears that some sections must share river crossings with road bridges.

in February how likely would there be lots of bare pavement to run?

Thanks in advance

Doug

Welcome to QR  Doug!

Where are you thinking of starting off from ?   .Do you ride a touring sled or more sporty type ?

I've been riding all around Quebec for a few years and have well over 50,000 miles racked up , Myself do not feel the need for wheels , others feel the other way i'm sure

Hopefully the TQ 3 trail is open past Forestville for this coming season , last season it was not for a good section  

Thanks Dooright.

The plan is to start just north of Quebec City and if possible make it to Baie-Johan-Beetz and back.  We know this is aggressive and likely not an easy run. We are allowing 12+- days to allow for weather issues/etc.

Of the 5 of us there will be 3 850 renegades, a Lynx 850 Rave le, and myself on a 900T renegade. 

Collectively  we have saddlebagged  the Gaspe, multiple trips in Maine, and the Saguenay region.  So cote nord would be a new experience. We are watching closely the status of TQ 3 for the upcoming season. One option might be to detour to Matane and take the ferry to connect north of the closed section?  But then another challenge could be east of Sept IIes because of terrain/weather conditions.  

If you scroll down this list, you will see “GT 2018” post. Jim and I rode the North Shore from Godbout to Harve Saint Pierre and back. There are plenty of pictures for you to look at. Then ,you can decide for yourself.

Edited by MrsGTRider

Welcome Doug,

There debate on whether wheels are necessary or not could go for pages. Personally I have traveled in Quebec for 18 yrs without wheels, however I got a deal on a used pair thanks to Andyman the last year I was up there.  I will never have another sled without wheels. Are they a necessity, no....but I would rather be looking at them, then looking for them. The ease getting around gas stations, restaurants, motels, or ferry terminals makes it worth the price to me.

Sounds like a great trip you and yours Buds have planned, awesome scenery.

1 hour ago, smclelan said:The ease getting around gas stations, restaurants, motels, or ferry terminals 

On the Matane side, the last part of the terminal, just at the mouth of the ship there are steel decks.  I was with someone who’s carbide got caught on the deck as we unloaded at night.  Wheels would have been better at that precise moment.  I don’t see where you need wheels for leaving from Quebec City to head up the north slope.  The bridge that crosses the manicouagan river was no problem for bare skis

296E2B77-9E84-4600-BCFA-C35C5E12A2F6.jpeg

Thanks for all the replies. Especially pointing me to the “GT 2018” thread.   I think it’s obvious that there will likely be many areas where wheels would be very helpful (many long bridge runs and ferry crossings )

now to figure out if I should go with the  rouski or rollerski set up. 🙂 

• 2 years later...
On 7/4/2021 at 8:38 PM, Prp77 said:

now to figure out if I should go with the  rouski or rollerski set up. 🙂 

Just put the Rouski Evo’s on my sled. They are very well built and of high-quality. If you get the Evo, make sure you grind a angle on the end of the shaft like in the last picture. Makes for a lot easier install.

IMG_2480.jpeg

IMG_2482.jpeg

IMG_2479.jpeg

I guess in my opinion, apart from cost, there is certainly no downside to having wheels. I have been riding on and off for Thirty-Six years, and never had them, however after my last trip in early March last year, I vowed I would not ride without them again. All parking lots etc were asphalt, and I had a difficult time maneuvering, and destroyed a set of runners.  I ordered a set of wheels when I got home. I will say that I am running a 2021 Yamacat Viper LTX GT. My friend had much less trouble on his 2023 Renegade 900T.

Edited by wng-2