Riding with Insulin

wng-2

Any diabetic riders here? I have a 61 year old friend who  returned to riding this past season after a twenty one year Hiatus. He is now diabetic, and uses insulin that he administers with a "Pen". He is concerned about the product freezing, as he currently carries it in his bibs that have no inside pocket. He is considering having an inside pocket sewed in, as he doesn't wear anything under the bibs that have  suitable pockets. Just curious how other diabetic riders are dealing with this. Thanks very much.

Not a diabetic, but my primary riding partner is.  I can tell you this from experience.  DO NOT let that insulin freeze.  My buddies did, and we were in the middle of the Gaspe, and his blood sugars would not come down below 300.  Made it to the Baie Bleue in Carleton Sur.  Luckily the owner knew the owner of the local pharmacy who opened up the pharmacy for us on a Sunday at 9PM, so he could get insulin.  One of the many reasons I love sledding in Quebec.  Try that at your local CVS.  My buddy keeps it in a double insulated bag, on his body.  Watch the temps on the fridges in the hotel rooms too.  He had some insulin freeze in the fridge, luckily he learned and had plenty.

4 hours ago, slimjim2525 said:

Luckily the owner knew the owner of the local pharmacy (OR WHEREVER NEEDED) who opened up the pharmacy for us on a Sunday at 9PM (OR WHENEVER NEEDED), so he could get insulin (OR WHATEVER NEEDED).  One of the many reasons I love sledding in Quebec.

ONE OF THE MANY MANY MANY REASONS!

I ride with insulin pens, i put them in my bib pocket with my techvest and coat overtop

Have not had any issues even on trip early Feb to Chiboigamu

I was going to suggest a 12 volt heated vest or jacket liner, but there are warnings on mine not to use them if you are diabetic. (not sure why) One thing that might work is a heated glove under a jacket - either on a 9 volt battery, some with a rechargeable lithium battery,  or off the sled's 12 volt - would the pens fit in the fingers of a glove? With a pair of gloves, a riding buddy could carry a spare set just in case.