GPS systems.

Shore1066

I know about the ski doo GPS garmin system but does any one else have something that works . Not that I'm cheap but I don't want to spend 600 to a 1000 dollars. 

I use a Garmin 7 Inch Screen... It has some issues with the cold, but i think i have solved that.

But this one looks nice and I'm starting to look for a replacement as mine is getting older.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/685257

And you can move it from one vehicle to the other.

GutZ

The Garmin system BRP offers is the Cadillac for sure.  You can buy the units abd mounts through other sources somewhat cheaper, but you still have over $500 into it.  

The way to cheap out that works is to get a waterproof case mount for your phone and run the association mapping apps.  Case I bought is below.

https://www.royaldistributing.com/sw-motech-navi-case-pro-66-1104.html?gclid=CjwKCAjwsNiIBhBdEiwAJK4khlIhibjMaKu5xyfbPztocjwsNXzV6cWIbiLzghO49cVubxA8yCoaOBoCq9EQAvD_BwE#291=18521

This works good, but I did find the phone would freeze and shut down on most days after a cpl hours.  You get what you pay for.

I bought a refurbished automotive Garmin  from gpscity.com for under $120. Get the ram mount and plug it in to the skidoo 12v outlet.  Load the trakmaps on it and go.  Never had a problem, four years running so far. I put the base of the ram mount on top of the “glove box” on the old XS chassis. I ran the mid height windshield and it was protected from the elements.  

8DBE9A13-FDC9-4B40-B807-EC3DBFE365F9.jpeg

George, give this a look for a start. It uses a Garmin Nuvi vs the Garmin Zumo that Ski Doo uses.  The Nuvi has a larger screen than the Zumo, but it is not waterproof.  It is really meant for inside of a vehicle.  You can get the waterproof case for it. https://www.shopsledgps.com/product-page/copy-of-skidoo-gen-4-navigation-custom-options

I’m still using the old Montana from my XS 1200’s that I bought used from a guy on QR.   It works great, but I wouldn’t mind a 6” screen vs my 4” screen.

Edited by GSX800

23 hours ago, GSX800 said:

George, give this a look for a start. It uses a Garmin Nuvi vs the Garmin Zumo that Ski Doo uses.  The Nuvi has a larger screen than the Zumo, but it is not waterproof.  It is really meant for inside of a vehicle.  You can get the waterproof case for it. https://www.shopsledgps.com/product-page/copy-of-skidoo-gen-4-navigation-custom-options

I’m still using the old Montana from my XS 1200’s that I bought used from a guy on QR.   It works great, but I wouldn’t mind a 6” screen vs my 4” screen.

Hey how's the summer been.  We went and bought new sleds last spring and I've made up my mind to ride some where. I want a GPS that will track my route where ever I go so I can follow it back to the truck. I have friends  who have camps in the Harrisville area and they do get snow there enough to ride on. My Kid just bought a rental business in Placid and they have trails there too. Just not sure about the Canadian border getting opened for us to get to Quebec. So bad last year i think I rode less than 5 miles. Didn't even put a helmet on. LOL

Thanks everyone for all the info. Everyone stay safe and hope to heard all your experiences in Quebec this year.

9 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

Hey how's the summer been.  We went and bought new sleds last spring and I've made up my mind to ride some where. I want a GPS that will track my route where ever I go so I can follow it back to the truck. I have friends  who have camps in the Harrisville area and they do get snow there enough to ride on. My Kid just bought a rental business in Placid and they have trails there too. Just not sure about the Canadian border getting opened for us to get to Quebec. So bad last year i think I rode less than 5 miles. Didn't even put a helmet on. LOL

Thanks everyone for all the info. Everyone stay safe and hope to heard all your experiences in Quebec this year.

Provided your vaccinated the border is open now.

1 hour ago, Signfan said:

Provided your vaccinated the border is open now.

Yes I know but living right on the border there is all sorts of rumors that because of this Delta virus they will shut down the border again.  I sure hope not. I do think if we do get to Quebec it may be a longer ride than years before. Lol

I use a Montana 600 and I'm happy with it. For sure the new feature of some of the GPS's where you can track others riding in your group with similar brand GPS units is very appealing to me.

My next GPS will be something that can also go on my wife's GPS so we know exactly where each other is. While the SkiDoo unit that has this feature is really nice it is only compatible with other SkiDoos.

Right now I'm thinking the Garmin is the way to go since any brand sled in your group can have one.

For sure the GPS technology is changing quickly and is a little confusing right now. There will be a lot of inexpensive non-tracking GPS's available in the next year I would guess.

Well it just hit me. If I ride in the Adirondack area a Quebec map won't do me any good.  There must trail maps of tug hill clear to lake placid area is there not. Stupid me.

13 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

Well it just hit me. If I ride in the Adirondack area a Quebec map won't do me any good.  There must trail maps of tug hill clear to lake placid area is there not. Stupid me.

You are correct, there are maps for NY…and other states.  As I mentioned, I bought my Garmin used from a gentleman here on QR.  He had Trakmaps for Quebec and Redpine for the US.  I used his Trakmaps Quebec maps for two years, making it a 3 year old map and it worked perfectly.  Before the winter of 2019/2020, I updated the Trakmaps map to capture changes in the trails.  I think every other year, or maybe every 3 years is fine before updating.

Normally, I wouldn’t even bring the GPS with me to day ride in Tug Hill/Adirondacks, but last year, I gave it a try using the Redpine maps.  Of course, things had changed some as trails shift a bit, but it worked really well.  It came in particularly handy when we rode from outside of Rochester down to Moravia and back last winter.  

Now Trakmaps has mapping for areas in the US including NY.  Plus you can get your Quebec maps from them as well.  
https://www.trakmaps.com/en/products/gps/snowmobile/