Trail Pass/U.S. Citizens

wng-2

Good morning guys, I was wondering what your thoughts are regarding the border crossing requirements. I'd like to buy a trail pass at the discounted price. However I don't want to spend the money on that, until I fully understand the procedure and CO$T to cross.
From what I can figure out, the requirements pertaining to covid are: Proof of full vaccination from one of the approved vaccines, and a PCR test within three days. These documents, along with passport info, date, time, and point of entry have to be uploaded to the 
ArriveCAN app. I haven't gotten any further into the app yet.  I have heard $175 for the test. What I have not heard is how smooth(or not) it goes at that border. The cost of the test alone is discouraging. Thanks in advance for you thoughts and information.

2 hours ago, wng-2 said:
Good morning guys, I was wondering what your thoughts are regarding the border crossing requirements. I'd like to buy a trail pass at the discounted price. However I don't want to spend the money on that, until I fully understand the procedure and CO$T to cross.
From what I can figure out, the requirements pertaining to covid are: Proof of full vaccination from one of the approved vaccines, and a PCR test within three days. These documents, along with passport info, date, time, and point of entry have to be uploaded to the 
ArriveCAN app. I haven't gotten any further into the app yet.  I have heard $175 for the test. What I have not heard is how smooth(or not) it goes at that border. The cost of the test alone is discouraging. Thanks in advance for you thoughts and information.

From everything that I have read you are right on the money about entering Canada.  The application isn't the best but if you are traveling with multiple people only one person has to put all the information into the app for the whole group.  As far as testing goes it might depend on where you live.  I know in PA, CVS still does free covid PCR tests if you have been exposed or anything like that nature.  I know people that have used that to travel to other countries and they get the results in 24/48 hours.  Testing should just be free no matter what, but that is a different topic.

My hope is to buy a year pass if my sled comes in time from the factory and ride in Canada.  It is a risk but after not riding last year I plan to do everything I can to ride in Quebec this year.  

19 minutes ago, red sled said:

with covid cases getting out of control again u could c the border closing again

Exactly, that is the other piece of the equation.   The border could shut down at any time, regardless of how much I have invested....

13 minutes ago, wng-2 said:

Exactly, that is the other piece of the equation.   The border could shut down at any time, regardless of how much I have invested....

Our group is planning on a Maine trip for January and see how things go for February and March. So much still up in the air.

1911E72B-1B64-4F60-8709-FFC489B99D52.jpeg

I too am leaning towards Maine again this winter

I usually do 3 to 5 trips to Canada and testing is expensive. On the news today, one of Maine's large statewide healthcare providers is discontinuing doing testing for travelers, stating they are flooded with doing tests for sick people  and workers who must be tested. They also said there is starting to be a shortage of test kits. I also heard test results are not always coming back in a timely manner.  

I am also worried about  catching Covid in Quebec and being hospitalized. Check your health insurance.  When in Canada, my coverage only pays for the hospital to stabilize me enough to ship me to the U.S.  Not sure who pays for the ambulance ride.

But if you feel comfortable going to Quebec, by all means you should. It is still the best.

mike

You will need to show proof of vaccination at restaurants and relays as well.  That said I wouldn't hesitate.  I'd be surprised to see it close again.  Unless some new variant starts in the US that we don't have up here.  Have seen lots of American travelers on the roads in the last 6 weeks or so since it opened.

Well  we've  rolled the dice,  I know it's slightly different for  us ( same rules apply) but we've booked  flights,  sleds,  and hotel , if it's all ok will be at the delta saguenay 7th  of February to 24th.....  not only double jabbed but we'll have had our booster by then....   can't wait, hopefully it'll work out....

11 hours ago, wng-2 said:
 I have heard $175 for the test. What I have not heard is how smooth(or not) it goes at that border. The cost of the test alone is discouraging. Thanks in advance for you thoughts and information.

Here in Western Mass the test is free, takes about 2 days to get the results. And that arrive link is pretty simple and I ain't good at that stuff. I'm more worried about getting back into the US, not sure what the procedure is for that, are we gonna need a test to get back in?  In my retirement weather and trail conditions dictate how long I'm gonna stay, (and/or when I'm gonna go) could be 3 days or 3 weeks?

Well one thing is for sure , either government is not going to make it easy for us .

My neighbor and wife went to Newbrunswick to visit mother in hospital, did the online thing ahead of time, got to border and were given  test kits to go on the app where a live nurse watched them administrator the test they had to put them in the mail, they got a robot call each day counting their quarantine days. Got it cleared up that they were not in quarantine as the test ftom border patrol was negative 

Overall he said not bad and back into the USA was easy as welcome home!

Unfortunately with all the hysteria one false positive and things could get ugly and costly in time and money

Don't stress yet, December 9th is when you really have make a choice (last day of early bird permit)  The one thing that is obvious about this whole covid thing is: things change every couple months!  I certainly  hope it is easier for all our American members to come north this wi term to the best snowmobiling in the world.

I am a little confused (as always) if coming from the US (US citizen) I need to have proof I have been vaccinated , need a covid test that is less than 72hrs old and my passport? I read an article seems to indicate we don't need to register or use the Arrive Link? Am I missing something. Hope some one can clarify. Thanks

48 minutes ago, jak said:

I am a little confused (as always) if coming from the US (US citizen) I need to have proof I have been vaccinated , need a covid test that is less than 72hrs old and my passport? I read an article seems to indicate we don't need to register or use the Arrive Link? Am I missing something. Hope some one can clarify. Thanks

My understanding is they want all that information on the ArriveCAN app.

12 minutes ago, Pipeman said:

So as of today’s info I would: have to be vaccinated and show proof, have a test in last 72hrs showing negative results, carry vaccination proof card with me, and wear a mask? Am I forgetting anything 😯

As I understand, all that plus passport info, date, time, and point of entry uploaded to ArriveCAN app...

49 minutes ago, Pipeman said:

So as of today’s info I would: have to be vaccinated and show proof, have a test in last 72hrs showing negative results, carry vaccination proof card with me, and wear a mask? Am I forgetting anything 😯

I think you have it right.  Mask requirements are different province to province and are changing.  In Quebec masks are still mandatory for indoor settings.  

Is the test a specific test. I heard it was the one where they massage your brain.  

Another confusing item I am reading, you also may be required to take another Covid test at the border crossing, or be given a home test to take with you on your trip. The home test must be done within 24 hours of entering Canada. After completing the home test,  you call a number and a courier comes and picks it up. I am wondering if you need to stick around at the hotel to hand over the test or just leave it with the front desk (or bartender lol). Or if saddle bagging, how will that work?  Very few border crossings have on site testing, so I am thinking?? most will get this home test from a border agent.

22 minutes ago, mikerider said:

Another confusing item I am reading, you also may be required to take another Covid test at the border crossing, or be given a home test to take with you on your trip. The home test must be done within 24 hours of entering Canada. After completing the home test,  you call a number and a courier comes and picks it up. I am wondering if you need to stick around at the hotel to hand over the test or just leave it with the front desk (or bartender lol). Or if saddle bagging, how will that work?  Very few border crossings have on site testing, so I am thinking?? most will get this home test from a border agent.

I'm reading this is a random test and you may  or may not be required to take it,  and there's no change for this test..