Latest COVID border deal

EastMark

And

• Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter?  Yes
  • While Canada restricts non-essential land, sea, and air entry by most foreign nationals,  fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents travelling for non-essential reasons may be able to enter Canada.  For more information on entry restrictions, see the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) website here.
    • “Non-essential” travel includes travel that is considered tourism or recreational in nature. “Essential travel”, which is still permitted, includes: work and study, critical infrastructure support, economic services and supply chains, health, immediate medical care, and safety and security.
  • Fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents (LPRs), including those engaging in non-essential travel, may enter Canada from the United States.  All travelers must use the ArriveCAN system to enter their traveler information, including proof of vaccination, before arriving in Canada.  For additional information on travel for fully vaccinated U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents, please click here.
  • Is a negative COVID-19 test (PCR and/or serology) required for entry?  Yes, for travelers ages 5 and older.
    • Travelers by land or air must provide negative laboratory COVID-19 molecular polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testresults taken within 72 hours of their arrival at a land border or their scheduled air departure to Canada. There are no exceptions for travelers who are partially or fully vaccinated.
  • Are health screening procedures in place at airports and other ports of entry? Yes
    • Upon arrival to Canada, as well as towards the end of their 14-day quarantine, non-vaccinated travelers by land and air are required to take a COVID-19 molecular test.  Canada has implemented randomized on-arrival COVID-19 molecular testing for fully vaccinated travelers. For more on these requirements, please click here.
    • Fully vaccinated travelers who are permitted to enter Canada are not subject to the federal requirement to quarantine or take a COVID-19 test towards the end of quarantine.  For more information on travel for fully vaccinated individuals,

Returning to USA by land much less complicated than entering into Canada

Travelers who enter the United States at land POEs and ferry terminals do not require proof of a negative test; in addition, U.S. citizens and LPRs do not need to provide proof of vaccination status at land POEs and ferry terminals

• 2 weeks later...

I live close to the border so we see quite a bit of news about the border.  What Scorpionbowl wrote is correct, just Canadian citizens returning to Canada after a short visit.  The Canadian government is concerned about the US increasing COVID cases, so no change for US citizens going to Canada at this time.  I am hoping that before the riding season sets in that the PCR testing requirements are dropped.

The US is putting pressure on our government to drop the PCR test for Americans entering Canada and just go with proof of double vaccinated.  That would be good in my opinion.  Fully vaccinated Americans could come up here and be infected by a Canadian, it is not like it is  Covid free up here.

Well put.  I hope the random test is also dropped.  At this point that is the one hurdle I have a problem with.  I am vaccinated and I can upload my itinerary to the app, but getting a test on time and then potentially having a random test make going up for a quick weekend trip a real PIA.  Meanwhile in Champlain any “essential” worker has been rolling through since day 1 with no restrictions, as if they are immune or can’t be spreaders.   This 2 year shit show has to end soon.  I can’t handle much more insanity.  Sorry rant over!  

PS - Please send grosse poutine extra fromage southbound.  Maybe it’s the withdrawal symptoms getting me down…lol.  I will be waiting at the rest area on 87 south in Beekmantown.   Seems to be the popular gathering place for all the snowbirds heading south in they’re winnebagos towing a Harley and a full size truck.

8 hours ago, smclelan said:

The US is putting pressure on our government to drop the PCR test for Americans entering Canada and just go with proof of double vaccinated.  That would be good in my opinion.  Fully vaccinated Americans could come up here and be infected by a Canadian, it is not like it is  Covid free up here.

But I did hear on the Internet that the Canadian Covid is more polite, easier going and tastes like maple!

I dont care if I have to take a test and show that I took a test, but the turn around times are growing longer and if we are at the border, all vaxed, and waiting for the email for one of us in the group, that can cause a problem. 

Once over the border, we would keep up distancing, masks if need be, etc... 

Thanks and I hope they drop it.

GutZ

17 minutes ago, revct1 said:

Doesn't the PCR test take awhile to get the results?  The test needs to be within 72 hours of crossing the border but it may take longer than that to get the results back.  Am I missing something?

Jack

That's my point, we are getting into a situation when the results take longer than the expect "Safe" period that a Negative Test would allow travel. With one or two people crossing together, waiting another few hours\day may not be too bad, but with a larger group.... 

Sounds like the old joke;

*Your Doctor walks into the room...

I have good news and bad news, the good news is you have another 24hrs to live, bad news is I should have told you yesterday......

GutZ

It's open, but with too many conditions....if your triple vaccinated...the door should be open....now we are going to have another surge...and maybe it gets even harder to cross the border...it's like somebody coming into my shop with a Mercedes and saying they have a small electrical problem...that's already been to 3 other shops !!

It is never going to end this is the new normal so get used to it. The people gave up their freedom without even a shot fired.

Just into the arm a couple times. 

welcome to your new world

The Fedex guy that picks up where I work has a girlfriend across the border.  He goes up every weekend, he says it’s not bad jumping through the hoops, the local Walgreens does testing for free, just have to get an appointment first.   The last hoop of having a quarantine plan in place in case of a positive random test makes life a little difficult as well.  Can I just say that my plan is to drive home if I test positive?  I know one thing is sure, I will definitely try it before the snow melts this year.  I am a little gun shy of buying my pass at the early bird discount not knowing how often I will use it.  

Quebec seems to be doing pretty good with a seven day average of cases matching Maine's  seven day average, despite Quebec having several times the population. 

Mass. with almost the same population as Quebec,  has about four times the case average over the past several days.

14 hours ago, Je me souviens said:

The Fedex guy that picks up where I work has a girlfriend across the border.  He goes up every weekend, he says it’s not bad jumping through the hoops, the local Walgreens does testing for free, just have to get an appointment first.   The last hoop of having a quarantine plan in place in case of a positive random test makes life a little difficult as well.  Can I just say that my plan is to drive home if I test positive?  I know one thing is sure, I will definitely try it before the snow melts this year.  I am a little gun shy of buying my pass at the early bird discount not knowing how often I will use it.  

Whats with the "Walgreens testing for free" stuff. I thought it had to be a PCR test and thought they are like 150.00 ???

20 hours ago, revct1 said:

Doesn't the PCR test take awhile to get the results?  The test needs to be within 72 hours of crossing the border but it may take longer than that to get the results back.  Am I missing something?

Jack

Where we are tested (Greenfield Community College) the test is free and usually have the results in 24-48hrs. My wife was just tested, had the results the next day.