Latest COVID border deal

EastMark

4 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Whats with the "Walgreens testing for free" stuff. I thought it had to be a PCR test and thought they are like 150.00 ???

The " ID NOW" test at Walgreens is the one that is free and they say 24 hour or less results. It is a NAAT test that is good to get across the border. Need appt for the test, and timing will be the hard part unless it really does come thru in 24 hours or less.

Good morning, just woke from summer hibernation. Maybe this will help someone. We crossed the border by boat in September, this is what we found, no rumors here🙂. We found a provider in michigan that offered the proper test, and did it "in house", so results were in about an hour. They didn't have to send it to a lab which can take a day or two. It cost $155. Back home, I've called around and found a place here in columbus ohio that is set up the same way. It will cost $200. Haven't used them yet, do I guess that's a rumor. Back to September, we loaded the Arrivecan app, filled in our info, nexus #, vaccine info, type of and dates, travel plans, quarantine plans, if required. We heard you needed a street address, so we used the address of the marina where we were  docked. We were approved within minutes and given a number. Both sandy and I were both covered by same #. When we crossed into canada, we called in the same # we've always used for marine entry, gave them the #, answered the normal we questions and were given our boat #, same as always. If we were crossing by car, as I understand it, you a give the border people your arrivecan app #, which gives them access to all the info they need. It really didn't seem as complicated as it sounds. We were in ontario for about 2 weeks, ate most of our meals out, did what what we would normally do on vacation. We wore masks indoor in public places, everyone was. At restaurant you went to get seated, if you wanted to eat indoors, they asked for your vac records and ID. I carried a copy of our cards in my wallet. You got to your table and removed your mask. You got up from your table, you put your mask back on. Didn't seem like a big deal. Seemed like it worked pretty well. We were guests in their country, we didn't have to be there. Think snow

3 hours ago, jak said:

Where we are tested (Greenfield Community College) the test is free and usually have the results in 24-48hrs. My wife was just tested, had the results the next day.

Did she have the test due to symptoms or an exposure?   Then the test is paid for by insurance or the gov't.  I have yet to find free testing for travel in my area.

Northbound,  great info, thanks for posting.

And as many of you may have heard, a new variant has been found in South Africa that is alarming researchers. It appears to spread faster and make people sicker. It will be 3 to 4 weeks before they have all the necessary facts on this but they are very concerned about it and don't know yet if an all new vaccine will be needed.  We all know how fast the Delta variant made its way across the globe.  Sure makes it tough to make plans with so many variables.

Hey Mike, she went in because she was going to visit her brother who is very is ill and she just wanted to be sure she wasn't carrying the covid. I have been in a couple times cause some of my buddies (whom I had contact with) had come down with covid. We both are on medicare and have bluecross supplement. Maybe our insurance is better than some? Or maybe because we're from MA?

I'm just back from a 3 weeks trip in California and had to pass throught the hassle of the covid testing on both ways (because we traveled by air). Doing the test before leaving Canada wasn't complicated and easy to plan because we were at home in our area but testing on the road for the return was way more an headache (my 2 first weeks in CA were for my job and the last week was for fun so we were Kristine and me on a road trip). 

We were told by few friends to use the Walgreen ID now NAAT test which is accepted by Canada border and have rapid results in less than 24hrs, typically in just few hours and can even be free! but we found that California was one of the rare state where this test wasn't available at Walgreen. We had tried to find an equivalent NAAT testing or a rapid PCR test in the area we had planned to be 48-72 hours before our return flight but it was complicated/very expensive or not having any guarantee on the results delay. We ended up moving our route to be in L.A. 2 days before our flight because testing was way more affordable there and been tested in a private clinic with an expedited regular pcr test that end up at $150/each with results in 12hours which pretty much the best option for us. 

So my advice for you who want to come sledding here is to check if the Walgreen ID now NAAT test is available in your area/state. If so this is one easy/cheap option that work actually, just have to follow the covid parade to ensure it will still be a valid option at the moment of your trip. Even if this option is not available, being tested in your area before leaving is not a such big hassle, mainly if you have the chance to not having to deal with the testing troubles on your return home in usa.

Even with the covid restrictions we are so glad to had the chance to did this fantastic trip in CA. It was a little trouble for alot of fun an memories...

Edited by towing

If they close it again at this point, it will only be based on hysteria.

Then again, NY state declared a State Of Emergency today based on this milder sickness variant with zero cases there.….so we aren’t much better.

Yes the new variant spreads, but so does alot of things. All indications are it is weakened. Pure state, media, and Fauci spread panic at this point.

Im still an optomist.

Edited by EastMark

Life long New Yorker ashamed of our government leadership. The last 3 governors kicked out in humiliation (Spitzer, Paterson, Cuomo).

This one shuts down hospitals for surgeries with few covid cases in hospital beds. Maybe she can bankrupt more hospitals and health care providers (workers).

7 hours ago, GT Rider said:

Life long New Yorker ashamed of our government leadership. The last 3 governors kicked out in humiliation (Spitzer, Paterson, Cuomo).

This one shuts down hospitals for surgeries with few covid cases in hospital beds. Maybe she can bankrupt more hospitals and health care providers (workers).

Yet another one just like them will be elected. New York, just like California will always be blue it will take a miracle to change it. Pennsylvania is not far from it, we have Philadelphia, Pittsburgh and the major universities of course are all liberal. Everybody else sees the light but sadly the big cities have the power and that’s where the corruption and numbers come from. I wish you luck

So the couple we were meeting in Mt Valin had a setback on his rehab for a shoulder injury they expected to be behind them by now. Rehab shut him down so we will switch back to “maybe” mode for Christmas week there.

We will ride the county here if possible…or may still run to Mt Valin area or another area.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

10 days before your trip book your Covid test, (or as soon as you can book it for 72 hours in advance).  In VT you can only book 7 days in advance of when you want the test and the slots fill quick. Canada says Rapid tests not allowed. Book it for 6-12 hours before your departure time LESS the 72 hours.  We booked 2 tests in case one was late or got lost and sure enough 1 got contaminated. Might be worth doing a dry run before your trip to check the process.

Accepted tests:

·       PCR - Polymerase chain reaction, Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs), Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample.

Under the 72 hours before departure, take your test, close as you dare to make sure you get the results back in time or you’ll start the whole process over again.

When within the 72 hours of your border crossing download and fill out the ArriveCAN app on your phone, (You can put up to 8 people on the one ArriveCAN APP).  If you don't get to the completion page with the QR code, you did not complete it and are NOT ready to cross the border!

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html#a3

You need to check the box of where you will quarantine if you are given the random Canadian Covid test and it comes back positive.  Put in your first night’s hotel address and contact information.  You will also be allowed to go home if you don’t have positive symptoms.  If you are given a random test at the border it comes in a box with instructions.  When you get to your hotel you call and do an online deal with a Canada nurse who facetime watches you take your sample.  You then leave your sample with the hotel and they pick it up.  Currently they are saying that .14% of the folks crossing by land that are vaccinated are yielding positive results from the random test.  This means you got Covid in the 72 hours since you got your test at home.  This is 1 out of every 714 tests conducted.  This is a lot of work looking for a very small problem IMHO, and cost a lot of $$$$ to do.

To cross the border, bring your passport, and printed copies of your negative test results that are under 72 hours old, a vaccine card, (you need it to enter restaurants and any indoor setting), and a printout of the QR code from the completed ArriveCan app, (On your phone is fine too if you are more happy paperless).  We wore our Masks and asked the agent if he wanted them on or off, he asked we take them off.  As always best to not have your dark sunglasses on either.

Example:

·       You want to cross the border at 1:00PM on Friday December 10.

·       On November 30th, book your Covid test for between 5:00PM-8:00PM December 7th

·       December 7th take your test(s) keeping in mind the 72 hours.

·       Sometime after 1:00PM on December 7th download and fill out the AP, (You can put up to 8 people on the one ArriveCAN APP).

·       December 10th cross the border with a printout of your negative Covid test and a printout of your ArriveCAN QR code you get once completed along with your passport and vaccine card.  On your phone is fine too.

Very simple process once you do it once.

Edited by markusvt

30 minutes ago, markusvt said:

You must have a passport and a covid vaccination card, without them you won’t get across.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/covid-vaccinated-travellers-entering-canada

10 days before trip book your covid test, (or as soon as you can book it for 72 hours in advance).  In VT you can only book 7 days in advance of when you want the test and the slots fill quick. Rapid tests not allowed. Book it for 6-12 hours before your departure time LESS the 72 hours.  We booked 2 tests in case one was late or got lost and sure enough 1 got contaminated.

Accepted tests:

·       PCR - Polymerase chain reaction, Nucleic acid test (NAT) or Nucleic acid amplification test (NAATs), Reverse transcription loop-mediated isothermal amplification (RT-LAMP), These tests use methods such as a nasopharyngeal (NP) swab, nose swab, or saliva sample.

Under the 72 hours before departure, take your test, close as you dare to make sure you get the results back in time or you’ll start the whole process over again.

When within the 72 hours of your border crossing download and fill out the ArriveCAN app on your phone. 

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/coronavirus-disease-covid-19/arrivecan.html#a3

You need to check the box of where you will quarantine if you are given the random Canadian covid test and it comes back positive.  Put in your first night’s hotel address and contact information.  You will also be allowed to go home if you don’t have positive symptoms.  If you are given a random test at the border it comes in a box with instructions.  When you get to your hotel you call and do an online deal with a Canada nurse who facetime watches you take your sample.  You then leave your sample with the hotel and they pick it up.

To cross the border, bring your passport, and printed copies of your negative test results that are under 72 hours old, a vaccine card, (you need it to enter restaurants and any indoor setting), and a printout of the QR code form the completed ArriveCan app.

Example:

·       On November 30th, book your covid test for between 5:00PM-8:00PM December 7th

·       December 7th take your test(s).

·       Sometime after 1:00PM on December 7th download and fill out the AP.

·       December 10th cross the border with a printout of your negative covid test and a printout of your ArriveCAN QR code you get once completed along with your passport and vaccine card.

Simple process once you do it once.

Excellent information as always from you, I greatly appreciate it 👍

1 hour ago, markusvt said:

You must have a passport and a covid vaccination card, without them you won’t get across.

10 days before trip book your covid test, (or as soon as you can book it for 72 hours in advance).  In VT you can only book 7 days in advance of when you want the test and the slots fill quick. Rapid tests not allowed. Book it for 6-12 hours before your departure time LESS the 72 hours.  We booked 2 tests in case one was late or got lost and sure enough 1 got contaminated.

Accepted tests:

When within the 72 hours of your border crossing download and fill out the ArriveCAN app on your phone. 

You need to check the box of where you will quarantine if you are given the random Canadian covid test and it comes back positive.  Put in your first night’s hotel address and contact information.  You will also be allowed to go home if you don’t have positive symptoms.  If you are given a random test at the border it comes in a box with instructions.  When you get to your hotel you call and do an online deal with a Canada nurse who facetime watches you take your sample.  You then leave your sample with the hotel and they pick it up.

To cross the border, bring your passport, and printed copies of your negative test results that are under 72 hours old, a vaccine card, (you need it to enter restaurants and any indoor setting), and a printout of the QR code form the completed ArriveCan app.

Example:

·       On November 30th, book your covid test for between 5:00PM-8:00PM December 7th

·       December 7th take your test(s).

·       Sometime after 1:00PM on December 7th download and fill out the AP.

·       December 10th cross the border with a printout of your negative covid test and a printout of your ArriveCAN QR code you get once completed along with your passport and vaccine card.

Simple process once you do it once.

Mark, do you think just having it on your phone will be good enough? We are heading up Monday, and dont want any problems if we can avoid them. 

22 minutes ago, 800steve said:

Mark, do you think just having it on your phone will be good enough? We are heading up Monday, and dont want any problems if we can avoid them. 

I can't confirm for all the papers but for the covid negative test results it was fine for me to have it just on my phone(not paper) when I came back to Canada 2 weeks ago (by air).

Just be wise and have it on more than one phone and also available in your email box, just in case!

On the phone is fine, but to avoid passing 2,3,4 phones back and forth printed is way easier.  Hand the agent a passport with a folded copy of the test results and the ArriveCAN app QR code last page inside and all is good.  Make their job easy, answer the questions, be prepared and move on.  We were there under 2 minutes. I get the feeling they don't want to be the COVID police unless you make them 😉 They even let one guy cross who did not fill out the ArriveCAN APP, but his present was a random Covid test 😉  Roadrunner will have to confirm but out of 12-14 guys I think there were 2-3 random Covid tests.

Edited by markusvt

We came back on Friday and really underestimated the number of Canadians crossing into the USA.  Really happy to see everyone crossing again but we were in line for 50 minutes I would say.  Once we got up for our turn it was business as usual.

Thanks for all the info, very helpful.  Just made an appointment for a covid test for this Friday as a test run to see when I get the results.  Will be going to Quebec on a Monday in February.  May adjust dates if the test results become an issue on the weekend.

2 hours ago, slimjim2525 said:

Thanks for all the info, very helpful.  Just made an appointment for a covid test for this Friday as a test run to see when I get the results.  Will be going to Quebec on a Monday in February.  May adjust dates if the test results become an issue on the weekend.

Did the free test at Walgreens Friday at 12:15 and had the results in 45 minutes. They said 24 hours, but we all know what that means. Doing it 72 hours before leaving on a monday could be trickey, with the weekend in the mix, but went thru great and on the app with no problems. Now lets hope the weather holds up for next week.

Hi Everyone,

First, thank you Mark.  That is very helpful because I know how difficult it is getting the info from the internet.  Too many different sites.

OK.  My experience follows.

I did my research back in October.  I thought I had everything covered.

I bring the snowmobiles to Quebec and leave them at the dealership we have been using for over 40 years the end of November for the season.  Yea we are the old ones and have been doing this for 40 years.

I thought I had everything done and went up Dec 1st.  I got to the border and did not have the confirmation from ArrivCan.  I had done the first step and created an account but could not find where to do the second step which is the itinerary.  I was politely turned away and could not enter Canada.  The agent said that when he swipes the passport all of your info should come up on his screen.   Remember, the questions he asks you, he already has the answers in front of him.

OK, first step is to create your account on ArrivCan and the second step is your itinerary.  Print the confirmation of the itinerary.  I like hard copies but you can save it on your phone too.

Second attempt was Dec 8th.  This time was much better.  Like Mark has said, everything from previous years plus your vaccination card and the ArrivCan confirmation.  I went thru with no problems.

One addition.  I spoke to a Canadian at the gas station in Derby VT before I crossed.  He said to make sure you are wearing your mask at the border.  He said they can turn you away if you are not wearing a mask.

The first trip I took the PCR test at CVS.  It came back in time.  The second trip I took the NAAT test at Walgreens.  I took the test in the morning and the results were e-mailed to me late that afternoon.  I will be taking the NAAT test from now on.  That test is done at the pharmacy and is not sent out to a lab so turn around should be quicker.  So far my insurance has covered the Covid tests.  Sandi called our insurance company and was told that they do not cover Covid tests for travel but we haven't paid yet.  Maybe we will see a bill in the mailbox?  I hope not.

I think Walgreens is the only source giving the NAAT test.  In CT you can book the test up to 7 days in advance.  Book an appointment as soon as you can.

One more thing about ArrivCan.  Like Mark had said, there is a section on how you will quarantine.  I was a little stumped on this one.  I was only going to be in Quebec for 3 hours.  What do I put down?  I first checked off "Home" and proceeded to enter my home address in CT.  Wrong!  The form only accepts Canadian zip codes.  So I put in the address of the dealership that I was going to.  This went thru OK.  Another note.  When I was completing ArrivCan, step 3 is where you are going to cross the border.  My computer did not display the box to type in the entry point.  I gave up and then tried an hour later.  When I brought the screen up, viola, the box was there.  Maybe just a download glitch when I happened to try.

Regular gas in Quebec I saw posted at $1.47 per liter.  Looks like it has gone up a little since pre Covid.  There was a couple of inches on the ground in Valcourt.  It did feel good to be back in Quebec after last year's no entry allowed.

Jack & Sandi

8 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

12/15 Links to “advisory” news vids: https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/feds-advise-against-non-essential-international-travel-amid-omicron-case-surge-1.5708467

Quoting Trudeoupe directly: “I understand this sucks”…  https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2344496&jwsource=em   

“Appeal to avoid international travel”… https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2344526&jwsource=em  

“New travel measures”… https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=2344405&jwsource=em  

Thanks for posting those links Playhard. At least pretty boy didn't fully capitulate and close the border down. I have to give him credit for that. 

Thankfully I still have a glimmer of hope that on Christmas day I'll get across the border and see the mother land once again.