Latest COVID border deal

EastMark

About the random border test.  I got the random test kit at the border this trip.  I was by myself.  The Canadian border agent asked me a few more questions than usual and said I'm the lucky one, I get the random test.

He gave me a box and said the info is inside.  You need to perform the test within 24 hours.  The agent was fine.  No extra info from me because it is all in the computer from my passport and ArrivCan form.

So when I arrived at the Universal in RDL Sunday 5 PM, I got on the Dynacare Covid testing border website.  Keyed in info about me and the numbers on the test kit I was given.  Then made an appointment which was in about 20 minutes, 6:30 pm that same night.  The website listed me as "appointment pending".  That sat on the screen until 7:00 pm.  Then my appointment started.  The first part of the appointment is automated with how to prep for the test.  No surprises there.  The test is the same as the NAAT or PCR test in the States.

After I went thru the automated prep part, Greg came on the screen.  It was kind of like a zoom call I guess.  I haven't done these live things before.  All of it was on my laptop.  I'm told you can also do the test with your smart phone.

So Greg, went over the procedure with me.  The kit has the swab and test tube with the preservative liquid in it.  You wash your hands first then swab each nostril with the tip in front of the computer.  You put the swab in the test tube, break off the long end of the swab stick and close it up securely.  The test tube is bagged in a zip lock "hazmat" marked bag and then that bag is placed in a courier pick up bag.  My courier was Purolator.  I don't know if Dynacare uses other couriers.

I told Greg I was in a hotel and on vacation snowmobiling.  I asked If I could leave the pick up bag at the front desk or do I have to be there when the courier arrives.  Greg said leaving the bag at the front desk is fine.

Note: There is a place in the Dynacare website form to put this type of info for the courier.

Greg asked me to refrigerate the test sample overnight and leave the bag at the front desk in the morning.  I did and the front desk said that they have done this before.

I wasn't told that I have to quarantine or do anything else out of my normal routine while the test is being processed.  The test results are going to be sent to my e-mail in 3-4 days.  At that time I'll look at my e-mail and see the results.  If the results are negative, no further steps to do.  If the test is positive, then I would think I would have to quarantine and it might get a little more complicated.  At that point, I would see if I could drive back to the border and return to the United States.  I could do that without coming into contact with anyone.  One self service gas station and I'm in the States.

For me, the random border test was easy.  Just one more hoop to jump thru so I can snowmobile.  Like I said it is that same procedure as doing the test at I did at Walgreen's and CVS.

Jack

1 hour ago, revct1 said:

About the random border test.....

Thanks Jack.  Very informative.  By the looks at the numbers, it would seem they are randomly testing a high percentage of individuals crossing.  Does anyone know if it makes a difference as to whether you cross from the States into Ontario or directly into Quebec.

Hi Chris,

I've only crossed on Rt 91 into Quebec.  I would think it would be the same but maybe not.  My test went to Laval near Montreal.  Ontario would probably have a lab of their choice for processing.  It would be interesting if you had an Ontario kit test positive but you were snowmobiling in Quebec.  I'm sure Canada has an aswer.

Cross wherever you normally would and let Canada figure it out.

One last thing I forgot to mention.  I asked Greg my test observer, What would happen if I just had my old flip phone?

He said they have done the tests verbal only if that is all they have to work with.  It is much easier with visual but they work with what they have.

Jack

15 hours ago, 800steve said:

Yes, the border guard will give you one if your number shows up. First time up this winter, 2 out of 6 got the test. Last trip, 4 out of 6.

4 out of 6...doesn't sound very random to me...sounds like 70% !!

I am a little surprised they aren't using rapids since they are doing virtually.  Our trip will all depend on whether they re-open restaurants.  I realize there are work arounds, but we've talked about it and don't want to invest 22 hours in round trip drive time and not have the whole experience we've come to enjoy.   Boy do I miss the ole days!!

My son was told by a Canadian that the Canadian government is or might declare that fully vaccinated is the booster has to be included.  She told him February 1st is the da we will be told. 

4 hours ago, ChrisWright said:

I am a little surprised they aren't using rapids since they are doing virtually.  Our trip will all depend on whether they re-open restaurants.  I realize there are work arounds, but we've talked about it and don't want to invest 22 hours in round trip drive time and not have the whole experience we've come to enjoy.   Boy do I miss the ole days!!

MONTREAL -- Quebec will allow small gatherings and restaurants can open at half capacity as of Monday as COVID-19 restrictions begin to ease.

Premier Francois Legault said Tuesday that the new loosening of measures still comes with some restrictions: a maximum of four people or two bubbles will be permitted to dine together, so long as they have proof of vaccination.

5 hours ago, Snobeeler said:

MONTREAL -- Quebec will allow small gatherings and restaurants can open at half capacity as of Monday as COVID-19 restrictions begin to ease.

Premier Francois Legault said Tuesday that the new loosening of measures still comes with some restrictions: a maximum of four people or two bubbles will be permitted to dine together, so long as they have proof of vaccination.

two bubbles?  the groups I ride with are mostly 6-8 people.

Hey hey we're on our way to Quebec.  Had a covid test and both us passed.  Heading for the border tomorrow before anyone changes their mind  lol.

50 minutes ago, Shore1066 said:

Hey hey we're on our way to Quebec.  Had a covid test and both us passed.  Heading for the border tomorrow before anyone changes their mind  lol.

Have a rip roaring time Shore !!

where you heading and how long ?

Here a pic taken 5 minutes ago outside Camden, NY at my buddies cabin where we are spending the night 

60D0CF97-B55E-4490-A0E1-83083CA79109.jpeg

4 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

Going to the west side of Quebec and going to make a 1500 plus mile loop. Going for 10 days. Wide flat trails. Thanks again for your time coaching me on getting the proper covid test. Good info for people, we got our test at the Walgreens in boonville.  They had lots of appointment times and we drove up to the window 30 minutes early and they guy did it then. Seen lots of sleds at Tuggers.  Thanks again. 

These 2 border crossings, last Saturday up & today back, were the easiest smoothest nicest we've had in 22 years. Just like the trails!

Gas station Snickers & Snapples for lunch is normal if you've got somewhere to go right?

And in-room (or hallway take-over) dining delivery didn't feel like suffering at all!

20220125_190336.jpg

Yesterday was a breeze, the arrival app kind of freaked out on the border agent.  Tried to say we had a third person coming with us.  Otherwise was smooth and easy.  Gentlemen seemed pleasant and like to ride so we struck up a small conversation, seemed to help.

We are ready go. Woke up this morning and the ArriveCan receipt email was on my phone waiting. 

I don't about anyone else but this has been very stressful for me. Worry about passing the covid test, filling out the form's and then it said it would take at least one business day to receive the pass. I have to thank the Canadian government because it seems they have their shit together about getting us to do what we love and missed last year.  THANKS. 

Jack the dinosaur likes to print the ArivCan confirmation.  I fill out the form for the trip with Sandi as my traveler and get the confirmation at the end and print it.  I like the paper copy in my hand.  It comes up on the computer at Customs so I haven't had to show it to them but I like having it just in case.

Talk about stressful.  After I was turned away back in November because I didn't complete ArrivCan, I was a little nervous the next time.  But each time has gotten better and now it is just another thing to do before crossing.

I had the random test from Customs last Sunday.  I did the online nose swab and left the kit at the front desk of the Universal.  I was told I would receive an e-mail with the test results in 3-4 days.  I'm back in Connecticut and it is a week later.  I haven't seen the test results yet.

Hmm?  If I receive a positive test, would I have to go back to RDL and quarantine for 14 days?  I hope the trails are still great!

Jack & Sandi