They are ruining everything

poltodoo

I hear you, I'm a lifelong car/ power sports guy, and shop owner, who has built and wrenched and raced a lot of stuff, and loved every minute of it. Electric sleds are eons away...no grid to recharge and you will be stuck unable to go anywhere , and all trails will be like LeCabanon at days end from everyone riding in the same circle. Solid state batteries are on the way, solid state lithium, they last 25 years and recharge in 30 minutes. I have driven quite a few electric cars....recently a Hyundai Kona....goes 250 miles on a charge and goes a 125 miles for 7 dollars. I hate to admit...the car is incredibly impressive....in the handling and performance category especially.Way better overall than a Tesla...not even close as a matter of fact. New battery technology will soon bring the cost of these cars down to reasonable....but we are years away from a grid that can charge everyone's electric car. I'm not interested in an electric sled until everything is worked out as far a battery life and grid infrastructure. There is one thing I do know...they will be incredible to ride when it finally happens and the performance will be mind bending...go test drive a Hyundai Kona...you won't want a salesman with you and put it thru the paces....handles better than an all wheel drive Carrera, and pulls like an 850 Polaris..and it's silent...corner to corner is incredible...and it burns rubber like a 302 66 mustang, and it's going to get much better....I hear you loud and clear, I'm not ready for electric sleds just yet but just like when everyone said emissions  and 4-stroke would kill sledding and they just kept getting better...same thing is just starting to happen again...and the performance and reliability gains are going to be incredible.

Adapt or die.  All companies and industries go through it.  This will be no different.  I don't foresee missing the noise or the maintenance.  4 strokes made a huge improvement to the sport.  This will too.  Personally would be happy with a little less HP and a lot more range on these units.  I don't think anyone doubts the charging infrastructure needs to get built before these go mainstream.  The automotive sector will lead this for the majority of the locations we currently rely on for fuel.  It will get built.  The biggest issue with sleds and the trail network I see will be some of the remote outfitters that are currently running on generator off grid.  It's probably only a cpl dozen locations province wide, but those will be the tough locations to address as running a charging station would double or triple their power needs.  Larger generators?  Or portable battery trailer to replace the current fuel truck?  Outfitter drags it back and forth to civilization in lieu of a fuel truck coming in?  Or do they add major solar with a large battery bank?  Will be interesting to see what occurs.

One of the major wins I fore see with electric sled will be the noise reduction.  Trail closures because of loud sled be significantly reduced.  They could in time open trails in residential and commercial  areas that were previously not a consideration.  

Glass half full.

8 minutes ago, smclelan said:

One of the major wins I fore see with electric sled will be the noise reduction.  Trail closures because of loud sled be significantly reduced.  They could in time open trails in residential and commercial  areas that were previously not a consideration.  

Glass half full.

Very true.  I won't miss those stupid race cans.

22 minutes ago, actionjack said:

And where it comes from. And how we just abandoned it. And what it takes to mine it. 

#energystupidity

And the impact it does on the earth.  Where's the environment people on that. 

You think big oil industry gonna just lay down and surrender all the $$$$ to electric vehicles? 

Wave the white flag?

i guess it is possible if you asked me 3 years ago if people in a “free country” would just give up their freedom without a fight, I would have never thought I would see that happen either.

5 minutes ago, iceman said:

You think big oil industry gonna just lay down and surrender all the $$$$ to electric vehicles? 

Wave the white flag?

i guess it is possible if you asked me 3 years ago if people in a “free country” would just give up their freedom without a fight, I would have never thought I would see that happen either.

Nope, they will sell it to China, Russia and India while we beg OPEC to send us more oil and then we will buy china’s windmills and solar panels. But we will be green right?

1 hour ago, jak said:

I'm no fan of electric vehicles and anyone that knows me I ain't no bleeding heart liberal but I don't own a tool with a cord on it any longer, even bought a battery operated chain saw, just saying. (BTW saw works as well as my gas powered Stihl.)

Yep

Put me in that camp too.  I spent some time building oil sands mines in Fort Mac and am proud of it.  Hope to be involved in building some metals mines in the future and let's be honest for this to go mainstream lithium needs to be replaced with a much more abundantly available material (copper, iron,  etc).  No I'm not an expert in this field, but it's common sense.  Not all ppl that support this transition are left minded protectionists.  

2 hours ago, Signfan said:

Yep

Put me in that camp too.  I spent some time building oil sands mines in Fort Mac and am proud of it.  Hope to be involved in building some metals mines in the future and let's be honest for this to go mainstream lithium needs to be replaced with a much more abundantly available material (copper, iron,  etc).  No I'm not an expert in this field, but it's common sense.  Not all ppl that support this transition are left minded protectionists.  

I believe Sodium Ion batteries will be the next step. More abundant and easier\better to source.

Now, if we could swap the electrolyte solution, discharged solution for activated, in 5 -10 minutes, we would really be talking....

This would allow a "Gas Station" to charge the mixture separate form the usage platform. 

Or

Universal battery module.  A consistent form factor across all platforms.

Later

GutZ

It is exactly the opposite of common sense.  It is common stupidity.  That is the point. It is factually choosing to relinquish energy independence and reliability for new tech that is not ready then covering their energy assess with the very terrible fossil fuels that are needed to make up the difference.  The transition to all electric everything will double greenhouse gas emissions.  "Renewables" are anything but.  In winter and northern latitudes they are even worse.   Finally, it will drive up the cost of electricity to point of rationing and choosing that which is needed most.  Heating or cooling or discretionary things like snowmachining to a remote outfitter for the beef bavette.  Maybe those will run on mini-nuke reactors who knows.  On the other hand if we have a helluva lot less people on the planet, then we're probably good.  #gotboosters?

2 hours ago, slimjim2525 said:

Don't think this sled will fly.  Sledding is basically a blue collar activity were a lot of folks love to burn fuel.  They will realize that they're not selling enough and expenses will pile up, and they will fold.

Like I said no fan of electric vehicles, point I was making anyone in the building trades knows how great the new cordless power tools are.

4 hours ago, MrGutz said:

I believe Sodium Ion batteries will be the next step. More abundant and easier\better to source.

Now, if we could swap the electrolyte solution, discharged solution for activated, in 5 -10 minutes, we would really be talking....

This would allow a "Gas Station" to charge the mixture separate form the usage platform. 

Or

Universal battery module.  A consistent form factor across all platforms.

Later

GutZ

What? 😊

Maybe a little selfish… but at this point I would like to ride any sled to a remote outfitter to sample the bavette, it’s been way too long since my last throttle therapy session. 🙃

1 hour ago, Je me souviens said:

Maybe a little selfish… but at this point I would like to ride any sled to a remote outfitter to sample the bavette, it’s been way too long since my last throttle therapy session. 🙃

Yeah, me too!!