2022 Jack & Sandi's Trips

revct1

Hi Everyone,

We didn't snowmobile at all last year.  We are driving up to the Quebec border this morning via Rt 91 thru VT.  I hope it all goes well.  I think I have everything we need.  I brought the snowmobiles up Dec 8th.  The first attempt was Dec 1st and I was turned away because I didn't complete the ArrivCan form.  The 2nd attempt on Dec 8th went much smoother.  I went up by myself.  Sandi couldn't go.  Work gets in the way sometimes.

With that said, I went back on ArrivCan for this trip.  I added Sandi as a "Traveler".  When I finished the form, only Sandi printed out on the confirmation.  I had to delete that form and do it again.  I forgot to put a check mark next to my name so it only printed out Sandi.  Everyone has to be listed on the confirmation form.

I hope the next post from us is while we are sitting in our hotel room at the Sag!  😊

Be safe.

Jack & Sandi

Jack and Sandi

We are looking forward to hear what you have learned. So we can follow your recommendations.

Schooter

This is good that I'm posting this late.  It means we made it thru the border.  😅

We were asked for our passports.  The agent scans them and I'm sure all of our history comes up on his screen.  It probably includes what we ate at the Brown Cow restaurant in Derby, VT a half hour before.  Then we were asked for the ArivCan confirmation sheet.  He asked us if we were feeling well, no covid symptoms.  He asked where we were going and the purpose of our trip.  Remember to answer this according to what you put on the ArrivCan website / app.  The agent is looking at it.

We first go to Valcourt to pick up the trailer and snowmobiles but I didn't go into to that.  I just answered that we were going to Chicoutmi.

The rest of the questions were typical from previous years such as, weapons, knives, pepper spray, cannabis.  Are we leaving anything in Quebec?

It didn't take any longer than before.  I'm still a little gun shy from being turned away on my first attempt on Dec 1st.  I'm slowly getting over that.

A little background on the trip up.  No snow on the ground until we got 50 miles or so into VT.  Pretty good snow banks above St Johnsbury going over Sheffield Mountain.  In Quebec, the Eastern Townships had snow cover but not enough to ride on.  After Drummondville the snow got better all the way to Quebec City.  Motel Bernieres had snow but only one trailer in the lot.  L'Etape had many snowmobiles, cars and trailers.  Looked like a typical day at L'Etape.  Snow on the ground all the way up to Lac St Jean.

It was freezing rain a little overnight in CT.  From VT on up we were in and out of the snow.  Nothing terrible heavy.  Just nice winter snow.  Thank you Mother Nature.  Gas around Quebec was $1.47.  Here in Chicoutimi its around $1.35.

There are sleds here at the Sag.  Not packed but a dozen or so trailers.  I spoke with someone that just came in on their sled and asked them about the spur going out to trail 83.  He said it isn't broke but you can get to 83.  It goes thru the parking lot behind the stores instead of way back at the edge of the woods.  The groomer hasn't come thru yet.

I spoke with the lady at the front desk.  She said what she has heard from other snowmobilers is trail 368 south is OK.  There are a couple of thin spots but it is passable.  You can't get thru La Baie on 83.  It sounded like there isn't enough snow there yet.  There is snow in the forecast though.  She said it is better to trailer to St Honore and then ride to Mt Valin if we want to ride on the north side.

You have to wear a mask everywhere and also show your vaccination card for entry like at a restaurant.

If you are planning on Quebec this year, I would recommend doing a dry run on everything you can.  Get a Covid test.  I like the NAAT test by Walgreen's  Our results came back in two hours this time.  I think the test is free everywhere in the U.S.  See how far ahead booking an appointment takes.  See  how long it takes to get the test results back.

Get on the ArrivCan website or app.  Step 1, create an account for yourself.  Step 2, take a look at the itinerary part of ArrivCan.  It says not to complete it if you travel isn't within 72 hours.  I think you can still go thru it and then delete it at the end.  Do as much as you can to get familiar with all the steps.  I only had to create an account for myself.  Then I could put Sandi on as a traveler in my "group".

Ask me any questions you have.  I may not have the answers but someone else may or I will try to get an answer for you.

So that is what we know so far. 

Be safe.

Jack & Sandi

Good morning,

A few changes at the Sag.  Here is the list I was e-mailed before my arrival.

Status of facility services

Hotel, rooms and reception: Open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
Tropical atrium (pool, sauna and spa): Atrium and pool OPEN with restrictions.
Pool: Open, restrictions apply.
Spa: Closed
Sauna: Closed
Restaurant: Dining room open for lunch service only.
Evening meals: Takeaway meals, to order.
Video-Poker Bar: Closed
Room and Mezzanine Areas: Open
Training Room: Closed
Business Centre: Closed

I imagine this is to comply with mandates from the government.  There was a questionnaire along with the above info.  A few questions regarding covid and our travel.  Then a few questions about our info, phone arrival time, etc.

Last night the restaurant was open for sit in dining which we did.  We had to show our vaccination card from the U.S.  I think Canadians have a vaccination "passport".  The waiter was going to take a picture of our card but the waitress said he didn't have to.  I'm guessing he didn't have to because we weren't Canadians.  This maybe for contact tracing if someone does come down with covid.

Not many people in the restaurant.  While we were there, we noticed that there was very little traffic on the roads.  Quebec isn't shut down but people aren't out and about.

The e-mail also stated that the restaurant is closed Sunday and Monday evenings.  So with that info, Sandi and I have brought along some chili and sausage and peppers.  A little home cooking if we can't or decide not to go to  the restaurant.  Plan ahead.

These are the vaccines that Canada accepts.

• Pfizer

• Moderna

• AstraZeneca

• Covishield

• Janssen (requires only one dose).

Housekeeping has changed too.

*** 2+ nights stay ***

Due to the current COVID situation, to reduce contact, daily housekeeping of occupied rooms is currently not available.

Everything you may need during your stay is available 24/7 at the reception of our property.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

The front desk said that since we are staying 6 days, we can ask for housekeeping and someone will clean the room while we are out.  The front desk has all the supplies that housekeeping would normally have.  Just ask at the front desk.

So things have changed but just something to adjust to.

It sure feels good to be back in Quebec.  We will have breakfast this morning and then go out for a ride.  Nothing big planned.  It will just be nice to be on a snowmobile again.  Last year my only ride was from the dealer's parking lot into the trailer.  Ugh!  Sandi's one year old sled has no miles.  It is time to change that.

Jack & Sandi

Another note about border crossing.  Last time when I crossed back into the U.S., I asked what happens if the border is closed while we are in Quebec?

The U.S. agent said that we are allowed to return to the U.S. because we are U.S. citizens.  We won't be denied.  No covid testing is required to return to the U.S.  I don't know if that is for every circumstance or just short visits to Canada.  Our trips are typically one week at a time.

Jack & Sandi

Sandi has a smart phone so we could use that.  She doesn't have Canadian minutes so I don't know if that would work.  If I was up here by myself without a smart phone, I have my laptop.  The government would have to come up with an option.  I have never done facetime.

Someone from Canada comes to pick up the swab, maybe they could watch you swab your nose?  If I was picked for the random border test, I would ask at the border how to proceed.

Jack & Sandi

I am not sure what the protocols are in the US, but in Canada you have to show proof of Vax to go in most places.  We have a wallet sized card that is our proof, most people have laminated them because of pulling them in and out all the time.  Laminating your card from your home state might be a good idea especially when dressed in snowmobile garb.  Apologies if rules are the same in the US.

2 hours ago, smclelan said:

I am not sure what the protocols are in the US, but in Canada you have to show proof of Vax to go in most places.  We have a wallet sized card that is our proof, most people have laminated them because of pulling them in and out all the time.  Laminating your card from your home state might be a good idea especially when dressed in snowmobile garb.  Apologies if rules are the same in the US.

In Ny we have a state issued App on our phones that shows vax status. Has anybody used that yet or can you simply take a picture of your vaccination card to show from your phone. As a last resort will definitely bring a copy laminated vaccination card 

Jack the dinosaur doesn't have a smart phone, yet.  So I have to use my card.  I did get rid of my rotary dial land line and got a push button land line wall phone at home.  Boy are the push buttons so much nicer than the rotary dial.  I feel like I'm in the 20th century! 😁

We have had two shots of Pfizer and we just recently received the booster.  Each time the info is hand written on the card.  If we laminated the card, a new record couldn't be written.

A snapshot of the card on your phone I think would be acceptable.  The phones are used for everything.

When Sandi received her first vaccination, the pharmacy had run out of cards and gave her an 8.5" x 11" piece of paper with a copy of the card and then her shot was hand written.  They did the same thing for her second shot on the same piece of paper.  It didn't look very official.  A couple of weeks later Sandi asked the pharmacy if they could give her a regular card.  They just transferred the info and gave her a card.  I think if a card became mutilated, the pharmacy would issue a new card and destroy the old one.

Remember that we have to send a copy of our card to the ArrivCan site before we enter Canada.  So the businesses probably just want to see something that covers their responsibility.

Jack & Sandi

Wake up Sandi.  It's later than we usually sleep.  We are on vacation Jack.  Remember, vacation.  A time to relax.  Oh yea.

A little breakfast.  Get the machines out of the garage.  How do I get dressed?  Which layer goes on next?  Oh, two years is such a long time.  Maybe I should put numbers on my clothes so I know which one goes on next.

OK.  We are good to go.  We are dressed and the gear is on the snowmobiles.  We head out of the parking lot.  The spur from the Sag is not groomed yet.  Other sleds have gone in and out from here.  Following the sled tracks but some are dead ends at a gulley.  We make our way thru the parking lots and the edge of the woods to the Ultramar station.  Both sleds are empty.  We fill up both sleds and the caddy.  $124 Canadian.  A Frenchman walks up to me and speaks in French, of course.  I don't know what he is saying but with a little sign language and some guessing, he is going to be our caboose.

From the Ultramar out to trail 83 is fine.  Ahh, the groomer has made a pass on 83.  We turn right and we are on our way.  To where?  I don't know.  We are just going to poke along today.

Some grass in the corners and some rocks here and there.  Early riding is better than no riding.  A few changes in trail 83.  Its easy enough to follow.  We get to the "T" where 83 goes left to Jonquiere and right is 367 to the two dams.  The front desk said trail 367 may not be open but it looks like the groomer has made a pass.  A couple that we see at the Sag every Christmas trip is stopped at the intersection.  I point towards 367.  They turn right and now there are five us in our group.

This is pretty good.   A little ways before we get to the aluminum bridge, there is a "T".  Left is marked to Jonquiere and right is marked to Shipshaw.  This is before the old junction that was at the top of the hill where the trail crosses the road to the aluminum bridge.  Lets go right and about 2 km later we drop down into the little parking lot at the aluminum bridge.  This is on the opposite side of the road that we used to come down.

This is a nice change.  It eliminates that bumpy rock climbing section.  Off we go.  Good trail.  The groomer has made a pass between the bridges.  We turn right on 134.   A little beat up here.  At the water tower. the trail still turns right away from pickle park.  There is more snow on this side of the river.  Good riding.  The fast stretches before St Honore are just as fine as ever.  We stop at the gas station in St Honore and the ladies take a break.

Back on the sleds and off to the airport.  All really good riding for December.  We get to the big junction of 83 and 328 at the base of the mountain.  We are not going to make this a big day so we turn left on 328.  The trail is still pretty good.  Thru St David and up to the junction with 134.  Turn left here.  I really like this section of trail.  Nice and flat, pretty straight and not much traffic.  It is a good place to let the horses run.

The cold air, the snow dust in the air and the smell of gasoline.  What could be better!  The five of us just cruisin' along.  At the junction with 93 and 134 in the field with the big power lines above, a check point is set up.  They have ten sleds already pulled over and it looks like they are checking everything.  We slow down but the security is busy with what they already have.  Security doesn't even look at us.  We slow down and look around.  Nobody is asking us to stop so we carefully go around and continue on our way.  All of us have our trail passes.

Back to the two bridges and the trail gets a little rougher.  A few more miles and we are at the Ultramar in Chicoutimi tanking up.

Not a huge day but it sure did feel good to be back on the sleds.

I haven't looked at the groomer site yet or even watched the weather.  I have to get back into all this other stuff.

Time for supper and some rest.  Boy is it good to be back in Quebec! 🤗

Jack & Sandi

“Jack The Dinosuar doesn’t have a smart phone” , but you sure can write my friend and I thank you for that. There are a few others on this site that amaze me with their writeups. Great start there for you and Sandy!

Edited by Snobeeler

Good morning,

I have to get back into snowmobile mentality.  I forgot to check the grooming map yesterday and even the weather.  I have that bookmarked now on the new laptop.

Yesterday by chance we did hit many trails that were groomed within the past 36 hours.  There isn't a huge amount of snow to work with but there is enough especially as you get toward Mt Valin.  We saw one groomer over by Carcajou / St David with just the blade on the front.  He was riding the edge of the trail pulling in the snow from the side of the trail.  Thank you Mr. Groomer.

We are going to ride out of the Sag again today.  The trails around Jonquiere had their nightly grooming.   93 has been groomed from St Honore to La Chappelle.  Some f this may have been the groomer with just the blade.  Not for us but the Pelchat trail was groomed from the Les Escoumins side half way up.

For anyone on the south side, Riviere du Loup is grooming.  5, 35 and 55 saw a groomer last night all the way west to Beauceville.  It does show some open water though in places.  Keep the skis up and the throttle down.

The Sag is no longer giving out drink coupons at the front desk.  They said the restaurant stopped the practice last year.  That was a nice little bonus.  What am I going to do with all the coupons I squirreled away?

That's it for now.

Jack & Sandi

I don't like being the weak link in the chain, but I am this trip.  My right shoulder has been bothering me for a while now.  Doc says its arthritis.  Probably.  It does run in the family.  I had my left shoulder replaced about 2 years ago and that one is fine.  The right one doc said isn't bad enough yet.  That was a year ago.

We drove up Tuesday and the shoulder kept me awake most of Tuesday night.  I took an ibuprofen but that didn't do anything.  It may have been a little past the expiration date! 🙄 

Yesterday we made a short day.  Again I didn't sleep much.  Today I'm tired.

So this morning, breakfast in the restaurant.  I look at the grooming map and 83 and 368 were groomed.  Good.  Lets head towards Mt Apica.  On the sleds and as we leave the parking lot, the groomer was here.  He made a pass in from 83.  The spur is now officially open.  Yea!  This brings a smile to my face.

We get to 83 and turn left.  Sandi can go first.  A few sleds have been out before us but the trail is nice.  A few thin spots in the corners but most of the trail is in good shape.  We get to the junction with 368 and turn right.  Same thing here.  A few thin spots in the turns but very smooth.  Not as many tracks on 368.  I don't where the sleds went because 83 is still closed at La Baie.  All of the traffic would have to come this way.  Oh well.  Nice ride.

My shoulder is letting me know it doesn't like the sled tugging on it.  Keep pushing on Jack.  You can ignore it.  Down 368 and we cross route 175.  A really nice ride for December.  I remember other years that there was no snow in December and it was trailer to Mt Valin every day.  The front desk at the Sag said last year the snow was poor.  I'm glad we can ride this year.  I hope the border stays open.

We continue on 368 but the shoulder is hurting.  Before we get to the junction with 23, Sandi pulls over for a break.  We chat a little.  I tell her I'm just not up to it today.  Between the shoulder and lack of sleep, I don't think I want to go to Mt Apica.  So we decide to u-turn.

A few sleds passed us while we were stopped.  On the way back towards route 175, two more sleds hammer down, coming towards us.  We continue along.  We get back to Chicoutimi and tank up the sleds at the Ultramar.  Not many miles today.

We stop at the Metro grocery store to get a bottle of Tylenol or Advil.  Nothing.  The shelf is empty.  Only a couple of bottles of aspirin.  That isn't going do it. 

We get back to the Sag.  Sandi asks at the front desk and is told they can't hand out any medications.  There is a Walmart down the street.  Instead I decide to walk across the street to the Super C grocery store.  The place is packed.  After a little searching, I find the Tylenol.  Not much of a selection but Tylenol is worth a try.  Back in the hotel I take one Tylenol and lay down for an hour.  It seems to have helped.

I call my shoulder doctor back in Connecticut and I've got an appointment for  Monday Jan 10th.  We were going to go to RDL for that week.  Maybe we will drive up on the 11th or wait until the following week.  Choices but we have to plan ahead for the covid test and ArrivCan.  Its not as easy as pre-pandemic.

Sandi and I were talking about when we first came to Quebec, you only needed your driver's license.  Boy things have changed.  Sleds didn't have hot grips back then either.  That was a few years ago. ☺️

If I get a good nights sleep, I would like to head across the river and maybe go up to the old Scoobyraid.  See what that is like.  I think it was Iceman that posted the newspaper write up about the change of ownership.  Thanks Iceman.

Jack & Sandi