RDL 2022 Season

RoadRunner

I'm looking at the trail map to see today's ride.  We were going to get gas at the Irving station halfway down Pohenegamook but decided to stay on 35 and get gas at the other gas station at the bottom of Pohenegamook.  I've never been to it.  It is 5 miles off of trail 35.  Easy enough to follow the trail.  It's another Irving.

Looking at the map, to my surprise, we were 1,500' from the Maine U.S. border.  The border runs down the middle of the river along the side of road, Highway 289.  I've always known we were close to the U.S. but didn't realize it was that  close.

Jack & Sandi

16 hours ago, revct1 said:

I'm looking at the trail map to see today's ride.  We were going to get gas at the Irving station halfway down Pohenegamook but decided to stay on 35 and get gas at the other gas station at the bottom of Pohenegamook.  I've never been to it.  It is 5 miles off of trail 35.  Easy enough to follow the trail.  It's another Irving.

Looking at the map, to my surprise, we were 1,500' from the Maine U.S. border.  The border runs down the middle of the river along the side of road, Highway 289.  I've always known we were close to the U.S. but didn't realize it was that  close.

Jack & Sandi

That's the gas station that I was so low on fuel the sled started sputtering when going down that  long steep hill. Remember Mike?

20 hours ago, revct1 said:

Jack & Sandy

Yes, Jack, and from Monday to Friday  you can cross the border at Escourt Station Maine and ride a groomed trail to the village of Allagash and onto Fort Kent.  The Border station is only open during the weekdays and during daytime hours to accommodate Loggers crossing into the Maine forests to work and transport lumber.  As usual, great reports, safe travels.

cross

Hi Everyone,

Just want to say, I'm in RDL once again.  Sandi isn't with me this trip but JAK and I will be riding together.

I have to get ready to go ride but I wanted to say, I got the prize at the border this trip, the random covid test kit.  It isn't too bad.  I did the test last night online like a zoom call.  I'll go into detail tonight when I get back in.  Don't let the fear of the random test scare you.  It is just another hoop to jump thru.  We can do it.

Jack and no Sandi.  She will be with me next trip.  Nothing serious.

Jack

Good to hear Jack,  braking news here we don't have to test to get back into UK date it kicks in to be announced this afternoon..  hope you a joe have a great trip looking forward to the reports... be safe..

I'll say today was a fine day of riding.  Cool temps, great trails, no traffic and fantastic company, JAK and two of the GutZ guys.

We went west on 5 then took the connector to 526 and to Relais Explorateurs (single arch).  The trail was firm and smooth.  We got on 35 west and this was even better.  The railbed went by quick and before we know it we are at the junction with 557 that goes over the mountain.

You know guys, 35 is good but look, 557 was groomed last night and there isn't a track on it yet.  557 it is and off we go.  The first 20 miles is a nice mountain trail with gentle twists and turns as you climb in elevation.  Beautiful!  Then the trail is on a road for 15 miles.  It doesn't get much better than this.  Just cruising along, blue sky and sunshine.  We can feel the heat from the sun thru the shield.  Snow dust in the air behind us.

The relais in St Pamphile is closed like most of the others.  We continue on into town and gas up.  U-turn back to the relais and left on 55.  Another trail that was groomed last night.  Wow.  Perfect all the way up to 35.  Turn right on and it is still groomed.  We are making time now.  The kilometers are ticking away.

About 15 miles in and we are at the little connector that takes us up to 5.  Off we go on the connector and then right on 5.  A little choppy here but that is comparing 5 to what we were just on.  5 is still fine.  We stay on 5 the rest of the way back to RDL.

Quebec really knows how to take care of the trails.  Thanks!

Jack

What a nice day.

Joe and I left this morning with no big plan.  Lets head east on 5.  There was quite a bit of grooming last night.  Sandi gave me the OK to take her sled, the new 2021 MXZ X 600.  Remember we didn't ride at all last year.  She wants me to soften it up.  A few extra cheeseburgers helps to fatigue the springs a little.

Off we go.  Once again the trails are groomed and smooth.  A little fluff from the overnight flurries.  I've got Sandi's sled with the suspension set pretty soft.  I notice its a little heavy in the handlebars.  We get to the junction with trail 5 and I decide to put a little more pressure on the center shock to lighten up the front end.  Off we go and it is better.  This is starting to feel like her old MXZ.

Riding along the front end does feel lighter.  Of course the smooth trails makes the ride exceptional anyways.  Joe and I swap sleds.  I would like another opinion.  Joe rides the MXZ from the former Relais Verte to Relias Trois Pistoles.  A nice variety of trail from straight and fast to twists and turns in the woods.

We stop at Relais Trois Pistoles.  Joe gives his nod of approval.  He said Sandi is lighter than him, yea, but her sled is good as is.  We swap back and bail off of 5 and head down 571 towards Trois Pistoles.  Another fresh groomed trail with an inch of fluff.  Turn right on 518.  FarmerOld was on this last week and said it was great!  I haven't been on 518 in a long time.  Boy I should take this more often.

The less traveled path is sometimes the better one.  Most people run 5.  You got to get on some of the green and yellow trails once in awhile.  They are many times the best kept local secrets.  518 is one of those secrets.  It runs close to the river thru woods and farm land.  Not much change in elevation but wonderful lefts and rights with a few camel backs.  Lets run it Joe.

The sky is clearing and it is warming up, -15 to -12C.  The snow dust is in the air and we are moving.

We get to St Eugene de Ladriere and there is a Crevier station.  "How much gas you got Joe?"  "About 3/4 of a tank.  I'm good."

A mile later and we are at trail 5 at Relais Moulin.  I didn't realize how close this gas station was to 5.  Remember that just in case.  It looks like the relais is closed.

I have an idea.  I discuss it with Joe and he agrees.  We turn right on 5 and start rolling.  You can sure run the speed limit here on the power lines!  😁  I rarely see it this smooth.  As Commander Cody would say about driving his hot rod Lincoln, "The telephone poles look like a picket fence!"  My apologies to those of you that don't know that song.

We get to Relais Trois Pistoles.  "Joe, how are you doing on gas?"  "Good.  I can get 140-150 miles on a tank."  "OK.  We will have 140 miles at the next gas station."

We continue on 5.  A little over an hour later and we are at the gas station in RDL.  Joe takes 34 liters and I take 32.  Not a lot left in the tanks but we made it.

We go to the Universal.  Here is our lunch stop.  Since the relais' are closed, we decided to go back to our rooms at the Universal for a lunch break.  Something different heh.

We both have a light lunch and watch a little TV.  We are full, the snowmobiles are full and there is still plenty of daylight left.

We are back on the sleds and heading west down local 45 that runs along the river and parallel to auto route 20.  Another fine example of the yellow local trails that are superb.  About 10 miles out and we get to the Shell station.  Here you can cross over route 20 on the local auto road and hook up on trail 561 which we do.

Once again, 561 does not disappoint.  We run this to the merge with 5 and continue on.  We turn right staying on 561.  The trail just keeps getting better.  We get to Relais Exploratuers and turn left onto 526.  Stay straight on the local 44 to pick up 544.  Like I said, these green and yellow trails can be the best.

544 takes us to 85 where we turn right for a couple of miles and then a left staying on 544.  This is slightly longer than 85 but a different ride than the railbed.  544 breaks off to the right and we stay straight on local 44 to go back to 85 and ride it all the way back to the Universal.

What a nice day.  Forget about work and all those other things.  Enjoy the ride!

Tomorrow it is forecast to be cooler.  A high of -19C.  A few flurries falling out there now.  More rigs in the lot too.  Mostly Quebec and Ontario.  I did see a couple of Massachusetts trucks.

Until tomorrow, be safe and think about coming up here for some of the best riding in awhile.

Jack

50 minutes ago, revct1 said:

What a nice day.

Joe and I left this morning with no big plan.  Lets head east on 5.  There was quite a bit of grooming last night.  Sandi gave me the OK to take her sled, the new 2021 MXZ X 600.  Remember we didn't ride at all last year.  She wants me to soften it up.  A few extra cheeseburgers helps to fatigue the springs a little.

Off we go.  Once again the trails are groomed and smooth.  A little fluff from the overnight flurries.  I've got Sandi's sled with the suspension set pretty soft.  I notice its a little heavy in the handlebars.  We get to the junction with trail 5 and I decide to put a little more pressure on the center shock to lighten up the front end.  Off we go and it is better.  This is starting to feel like her old MXZ.

Riding along the front end does feel lighter.  Of course the smooth trails makes the ride exceptional anyways.  Joe and I swap sleds.  I would like another opinion.  Joe rides the MXZ from the former Relais Verte to Relias Trois Pistoles.  A nice variety of trail from straight and fast to twists and turns in the woods.

We stop at Relais Trois Pistoles.  Joe gives his nod of approval.  He said Sandi is lighter than him, yea, but her sled is good as is.  We swap back and bail off of 5 and head down 571 towards Trois Pistoles.  Another fresh groomed trail with an inch of fluff.  Turn right on 518.  FarmerOld was on this last week and said it was great!  I haven't been on 518 in a long time.  Boy I should take this more often.

The less traveled path is sometimes the better one.  Most people run 5.  You got to get on some of the green and yellow trails once in awhile.  They are many times the best kept local secrets.  518 is one of those secrets.  It runs close to the river thru woods and farm land.  Not much change in elevation but wonderful lefts and rights with a few camel backs.  Lets run it Joe.

The sky is clearing and it is warming up, -15 to -12C.  The snow dust is in the air and we are moving.

We get to St Eugene de Ladriere and there is a Crevier station.  "How much gas you got Joe?"  "About 3/4 of a tank.  I'm good."

A mile later and we are at trail 5 at Relais Moulin.  I didn't realize how close this gas station was to 5.  Remember that just in case.  It looks like the relais is closed.

I have an idea.  I discuss it with Joe and he agrees.  We turn right on 5 and start rolling.  You can sure run the speed limit here on the power lines!  😁  I rarely see it this smooth.  As Commander Cody would say about driving his hot rod Lincoln, "The telephone poles look like a picket fence!"  My apologies to those of you that don't know that song.

We get to Relais Trois Pistoles.  "Joe, how are you doing on gas?"  "Good.  I can get 140-150 miles on a tank."  "OK.  We will have 140 miles at the next gas station."

We continue on 5.  A little over an hour later and we are at the gas station in RDL.  Joe takes 34 liters and I take 32.  Not a lot left in the tanks but we made it.

We go to the Universal.  Here is our lunch stop.  Since the relais' are closed, we decided to go back to our rooms at the Universal for a lunch break.  Something different heh.

We both have a light lunch and watch a little TV.  We are full, the snowmobiles are full and there is still plenty of daylight left.

We are back on the sleds and heading west down local 45 that runs along the river and parallel to auto route 20.  Another fine example of the yellow local trails that are superb.  About 10 miles out and we get to the Shell station.  Here you can cross over route 20 on the local auto road and hook up on trail 561 which we do.

Once again, 561 does not disappoint.  We run this to the merge with 5 and continue on.  We turn right staying on 561.  The trail just keeps getting better.  We get to Relais Exploratuers and turn left onto 526.  Stay straight on the local 44 to pick up 544.  Like I said, these green and yellow trails can be the best.

544 takes us to 85 where we turn right for a couple of miles and then a left staying on 544.  This is slightly longer than 85 but a different ride than the railbed.  544 breaks off to the right and we stay straight on local 44 to go back to 85 and ride it all the way back to the Universal.

What a nice day.  Forget about work and all those other things.  Enjoy the ride!

Tomorrow it is forecast to be cooler.  A high of -19C.  A few flurries falling out there now.  More rigs in the lot too.  Mostly Quebec and Ontario.  I did see a couple of Massachusetts trucks.

Until tomorrow, be safe and think about coming up here for some of the best riding in awhile.

Jack

As Commander Cody would say about driving his hot rod Lincoln, "The telephone poles look like a picket fence!"  My apologies to those of you that don't know that song.

My pappy said son your going to drive me to drinking if you don't stop driving that Hot Rod Lincoln! 

Guess I am dating my self by knowing this.

It was another nice day of riding albeit cold.  -22C when we left and it warmed up to -20C this afternoon.  Not many sleds out on the trails.

Today Joe and I leave the Universal and when we get to 85, I turn left, north, towards the SkiDoo dealer in RDL.  I can tell Joe is thinking "Where is Jack going?"

I stay on 85 winding around thru town then I turn right onto one of the local trails in the direction of Cacouna.  This runs along the railbed and is nice.  Flat, smooth and fluffy on top.  Boy is the snow dust in the air.  Sorry Joe.

We get to the next intersection and turn right on 565.  Now I'm all set.  Nobody has been on this yet.  I'm staying on 565 and it joins 5.  We run for about 8 miles and then branch off to the right still staying on 565.  We follow this until we hit 85.  South on 85 for 10 miles and then right on 35.  85 is great but cold.

35 was groomed last night.  Only a couple of sleds have been on it before us.  Some nice stretches thru here.  We stop at Relais Chevalier.  Closed as expected.  Four sleds pull in.  The drivers are speaking French.  Not many Americans up here.

Next, we get to the junction with 561.  Hmm?  I've never headed south here towards New Brunswick.  What do you think Joe?  Its early, we got gas and nowhere special to go.  The relais' aren't open (yet).

OK.  I turn left and about 10 miles in there is an intersection marked trail 550 to the left.  The map shows it as a yellow unmarked cul-de-sac.  550 is further east by Packington.  Does anybody know if this goes all the way thru to Packington?  The map shows a 10-15 mile gap to trail 550.

Today is not the day to try it.  5 miles later and we are at the border with New Brunswick!  Ok.  We accomplished what I wanted to do.  U-turn and back up 561.  We get on Lac Pohenegamook.  Boy is it cold on the Lac.  Half way up we cut left over to the Irving station.

We go inside to warm up.  They have sandwiches here, coffee, all kinds of goodies.  We grab a sandwich and have lunch.  Oh it feels good to be in a warm place.  I miss the lunch stops.

Back on the sleds and north on 561.  On 565/35 for awhile.  We pass Les Explorateurs and stay on 561 all the way where it runs with 5.  North of that and just before St Alexandre, we turn right on the local trails and make our way over to St Antonin.  A little while later and we are back at the Universal.  A hot shower awaits.

In a little early but that's OK on a cold day.

We saw a couple of sleds early this morning and then a few more on 35 and 561.  If the restaurants open up next week, even half capacity, I expect more sleds.  The trails have a superb base to them and with the cold, have set up nicely.  Unless there is a warm up, the trails will be fine for a long time.

Until tomorrow, be safe.

Jack

-22C this morning.  This afternoon it is going to be -10C.  Warm compared to what we have been in.  We will take it.

The forecast for the rest of the week has changed once again.  Snow starting tomorrow, a few centimeters.  Then the snow continues into Saturday and Saturday night.  No accumulation listed for the weekend yet.

The trails are really shaping up nicely.  Hmm!  Where do we go today?  Around RDL was groomed of course and 35 / 5 towards St Pamphile.  Some grooming around Trois Pistoles too.  Not much activity in the Squatec area.  Its all good still.  With the cold the past few days and little traffic, I can't imagine the trails being nothing but stellar.

Be safe everyone.

Jack

Joe and I are on the sleds and heading out of RDL down 85.  We get to Relais Aventuriers and it looks like the groomer had just returned home.  Only a couple of tracks on 85.  Off we go.  As nice as 85 is, I decide to take local 44.  Not a mistake.  This was groomed last night too.  We get to 544 and this was also groomed.

At 85 we turn right for a few miles and then a left staying on 544 heading towards Pohenegamook.  When you think it can't get any better, a great groomer proves you wrong.

This piece of 544, starting at 85 under the highway, doesn't have a mark on it and I don't mean just sled tracks.  This groomer deserves a gold star.    A fresh groomed trail has some oatmeal on the top, some divots and some lumps.  This trail looked like a paved interstate.  Not an imperfection in it.  Even where the drag overlapped on the return run is flush and smooth.  No digging in the corners.  Amazing!  This guy takes pride in his work.  Thank you.  Quebec people like you keep us coming back.

I was going to continue on 544 but, we turn right on local 40 because that is where the groomer went silly.  Then 526 to Relais Explorateurs.  It looks like this groomer was out last night too.  We get on 35 west and not a track on it, fresh groomed.  Now we can see how much fuel we can burn up.  I hope my drive belt is up to this.  Go, go, go!  20 miles of heaven and I see the sign for St Bruno to the right.  That is where we are heading.  We get on, what I think is 557 and oh, this wasn't groomed.  Well it had to happen sooner or later.  There's a half a foot of powder snow and only a few tracks on the trail.  Odd!  We putter along.  I know trail 5 is just up ahead.  This reminds me of what the trails were like many years ago.

I see a stop sign up there and a closed gate?  The tracks go around the gate and get back on a real trail.  I look at the trail sign and it says 557.  Now I know why it wasn't groomed.  But why wasn't there a sign or gate at the other end?  I think that may have been an ATV trail.  No blue or red stakes but there were curve signs.  We are on 557 now and we can say we did have one bad trail this week.  Maybe it wasn't a bad trail.  Maybe it was a bad choice by yours truly!  🙄

The rest of 557 is great and 5 to St Bruno is also great.  This is the first time I have ever stopped at the gas station in St Bruno.  I've always stopped at Mont Carmel but I think that old one is closed because the cul-de-sac trail is closed.

If you need to stop, St Bruno is fine.  It is 2 miles off trail 5 and they have a little kitchen at the back of the convenience store.  A couple of tables to sit at when that is allowed.  The local post office even has the post office boxes at one end of the store.  Your little town general store.  Groceries, mail, kitchen, tables I even saw e-tec oil.  We decided to have a couple of cheeseburgers all dressed.  Very good.  A recommended stop if it fits in with your ride.

Back on the trail we keep heading west on 5.  Hiboux has a small fire pit outside with a couple of tables and chairs.  A few snowmobilers taking advantage of the fine weather and good food.  It is refreshing to see a relais open and making the best of a bad situation.

We turn left on 553.  This is a nice connector between 5 and 35.  Left on 35 where we can let the ponies run.  Everything has been groomed.  We take the little connector to get back up to 5 and head east now.

When we get to the junction with 559, we decide to take this down towards the river and then run this and then local 45 back to the Universal.

What a fine day.  Our thought is one more day of riding, Friday, and then we head back to the States.  All the trails this week have been absolutely great.

Jack

The last ride for this trip.  Joe and I head east on 5.  It is snowing and blowing a little.  Joe is in a white out back there.  Once the fluffy snow gets airborne, it is tough to see.  If it keeps up, we may make a short day and start packing for the trip home.

At Trois Pistolets, we have a little discussion.  It looks like the sun is starting to come out.  Maybe it will get better up in elevation.

A few miles on 5 and we branch off onto 571.  A few nice straightaways here.  The fresh fluff covered up any previous tracks.  The sleds are still kicking up the snow but it has stopped falling from the sky.  Looks like we can stick to our original plan.

571 here we come.  Thru the fields, we go by St Rita and before we know it we are at the intersection with 35 in Squatec.  75 miles on the gas tank.  We have plenty.  No need to waste time running into Squatec.

I haven't been on this end of 571 in a while.  Some fields and some woods and then 571 gets on a road that is wide a smooth.  All this was groomed last night.  What a joy.  Up in the mountain we see the plastic tubing going from maple tree to maple tree.  The further south, the more prevalent the maple tree farms are.  Yum!  😋

A few sleds approach us as we get closer to Degelis.  The low traffic has been typical all season.  It keeps the trails so nice.

At 85 we turn right and head north.  We still have enough fuel so it is up to Cabano.  We take it easy thru the residential areas.  Don't want to upset anyone and we have plenty of time to enjoy the scenery.

We pull into the Shell station in Cabano.  Tim Horton's has the drive thru open but not the lobby by the looks of it.  Tank up and grab a couple of candy bars.  My cardiologist probably wouldn't like my choice for lunch.

Back on 85 and we are rolling.  A few more sleds approaching us.  Once we are out of Cabano, no traffic.  We decide to stay on 85 for the rest of the run.  It is cold but it is quick.

Back in RDL, there is no need to gas up today.  The sleds are going in the trailer.  Now we have time to pack and get ready for our morning departure.

I may sound like a broken record, remember those flat pieces of vinyl, but this season has been the best riding in many years.  It was posted that the restaurants are going to open to half capacity Monday.  That may get some of you that are on the fence to come up here and ride.  You won't be disappointed.

Next trip starts Feb 7th at the Delta, Jonquiere.  Sandi is feeling better and we hope to see some of you there.

Jack & Sandi

I have to make one more comment.  Not on this ride but what I just observed.

I'm watching TV in my hotel room.  A worker from Universal just left work.  Not unusual.  It is -17C, 1F.  Not unusual.  He wasn't driving a car.  He was leaving on his bicycle.  That is unusual for me to see.  I don't think I would see that in Connecticut!

Jack

2 hours ago, revct1 said:

The last ride for this trip.  Joe and I head east on 5.  It is snowing and blowing a little.  Joe is in a white out back there.  Once the fluffy snow gets airborne, it is tough to see.  If it keeps up, we may make a short day and start packing for the trip home.

At Trois Pistolets, we have a little discussion.  It looks like the sun is starting to come out.  Maybe it will get better up in elevation.

A few miles on 5 and we branch off onto 571.  A few nice straightaways here.  The fresh fluff covered up any previous tracks.  The sleds are still kicking up the snow but it has stopped falling from the sky.  Looks like we can stick to our original plan.

571 here we come.  Thru the fields, we go by St Rita and before we know it we are at the intersection with 35 in Squatec.  75 miles on the gas tank.  We have plenty.  No need to waste time running into Squatec.

I haven't been on this end of 571 in a while.  Some fields and some woods and then 571 gets on a road that is wide a smooth.  All this was groomed last night.  What a joy.  Up in the mountain we see the plastic tubing going from maple tree to maple tree.  The further south, the more prevalent the maple tree farms are.  Yum!  😋

A few sleds approach us as we get closer to Degelis.  The low traffic has been typical all season.  It keeps the trails so nice.

At 85 we turn right and head north.  We still have enough fuel so it is up to Cabano.  We take it easy thru the residential areas.  Don't want to upset anyone and we have plenty of time to enjoy the scenery.

We pull into the Shell station in Cabano.  Tim Horton's has the drive thru open but not the lobby by the looks of it.  Tank up and grab a couple of candy bars.  My cardiologist probably wouldn't like my choice for lunch.

Back on 85 and we are rolling.  A few more sleds approaching us.  Once we are out of Cabano, no traffic.  We decide to stay on 85 for the rest of the run.  It is cold but it is quick.

Back in RDL, there is no need to gas up today.  The sleds are going in the trailer.  Now we have time to pack and get ready for our morning departure.

I may sound like a broken record, remember those flat pieces of vinyl, but this season has been the best riding in many years.  It was posted that the restaurants are going to open to half capacity Monday.  That may get some of you that are on the fence to come up here and ride.  You won't be disappointed.

Next trip starts Feb 7th at the Delta, Jonquiere.  Sandi is feeling better and we hope to see some of you there.

Jack & Sandi

Some of us would love to come up an ride but forced vaccinations is not acceptable. Love your ride reports regardless !