Lac Blanc/Taureau reservoir loop photo ride report 3 january 2022

towing

We leave our bed early this morning for a 155 miles ride around the Taureau reservoir

carte(8).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

-25C at 9:00 when we started from Lac Blanc auberge trailer parking lot. It is a bit limit on snow near the auberge but when in the mastigouche reserve it was freshly groomed: perfect

DSC03638.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

We did the north side of the loop first so toward Taureau dam. The #23 section that have been plowed earlier in December was now perfect

DSC03647.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

This water look very hot!!!

DSC03663.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Fresly groomed on the north side of the reservoir

DSC03666.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSC03670.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

We cut on reservoir by the local trail from l'auberge du Lac taureau to the St-Michel village that was nice and fast. The reservoir level is still high and the ice cover had almost no drops yet.

DSC03702.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

A foursome was playing golf on the court near the village of St-Michel

DSC03705.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

We fueled up at St-Michel and then stop at an old view point on the top of the mountain for lunch. There are some potatoes in the big hills but the rest of the trail nice.

The sun was nice but it was for the strong one to eat outside today!

DSC03720.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The #63 toward Cabanon was nice and the #23 in Mastigouche Reserve even more

DSC03731.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSC03729.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The last strech toward l'auberge du lac Blanc was a bit bumpy. It miss some snow but will be ok with grooming. They install a wood stove with tables and bench around to heat up and eat at the Auberge and take out orders are available like last year. 

DSC03763.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

So an easy 155 miles for her first run to Kristine and 2nd for me. I have tried some video but my camera setup have hard time trying to withstand those temperature. I will check at what I recorded and probably be able to put something together for later.

So the season is really started there. let's enjoy!

Alain

43 minutes ago, towing said:

We leave our bed early this morning for a 155 miles ride around the Taureau reservoir

carte(8).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

-25C at 9:00 when we started from Lac Blanc auberge trailer parking lot. It is a bit limit on snow near the auberge but when in the mastigouche reserve it was freshly groomed: perfect

DSC03638.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

We did the north side of the loop first so toward Taureau dam. The #23 section that have been plowed earlier in December was now perfect

DSC03647.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

This water look very hot!!!

DSC03663.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Fresly groomed on the north side of the reservoir

DSC03666.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSC03670.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

We cut on reservoir by the local trail from l'auberge du Lac taureau to the St-Michel village that was nice and fast. The reservoir level is still high and the ice cover had almost no drops yet.

DSC03702.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

A foursome was playing golf on the court near the village of St-Michel

DSC03705.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

We fueled up at St-Michel and then stop at an old view point on the top of the mountain for lunch. There are some potatoes in the big hills but the rest of the trail nice.

The sun was nice but it was for the strong one to eat outside today!

DSC03720.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The #63 toward Cabanon was nice and the #23 in Mastigouche Reserve even more

DSC03731.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSC03729.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The last strech toward l'auberge du lac Blanc was a bit bumpy. It miss some snow but will be ok with grooming. They install a wood stove with tables and bench around to heat up and eat at the Auberge and take out orders are available like last year. 

DSC03763.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

So an easy 155 miles for her first run to Kristine and 2nd for me. I have tried some video but my camera setup have hard time trying to withstand those temperature. I will check at what I recorded and probably be able to put something together for later.

So the season is really started there. let's enjoy!

Alain

Glad to see your out and about, be safe and enjoy your season!!!!!!

19 hours ago, smclelan said:

Great pictures as always Alain, thanks for sharing. What motor did you get in your new ride? 

It's a 900 ace plain, no need for the turbo for us. I prefer the advantage this simple engine give( regular fuel, better fuel range) than the extra power the turbo would give us.

I have a bit over 1200 miles done so far and in sport mode below 60mph the power is not that far from my old Yammie and I try to keep below the sixties... not always succeed but I try 😄

18 hours ago, Cobra said:

Glad to see your out and about, be safe and enjoy your season!!!!!!

Yes I'm back in shape! too bad I waste a part of my vacation sick... it was sooo nice to ride again! bring the snow i'm ready! Have a good season and enjoy too!

19 hours ago, Signfan said:

How is the traffic on the weekends in the area right now.  The trails look exceptional in your pics.  Just wondering if I should re-schedule our trip.

I just have 2 rides done this season a Tuesday and a Monday so I have not seen myself but to be honest, with the limited playground we have actually I would expect traffic especially Saturday. This last ride was on a holiday Monday but with -25C in the morning and a high at-16C at mid-day when we have to eat outside it discourage a bunch from riding and the trails were not very busy. If you get a Saturday at freezing point, there are big chances the trails will go junk quickly but like this next Saturday they forecast previous night at -24C and the warmest at -15C for Saturday so I expect the trails conditions will stay pretty nice... I will be myself on the trail.

18 hours ago, PLAYHARD said:

Ditto!

Thanks BIG for sharing the better-than-drugs substitute for being there!

Big welcome to you! I wish you a good season and some nice Quebec sledding miles in the next weeks!

Thanks for your reports, they are always much appreciated by everyone. Helps give us a real idea of what it's like up there. most all of New York is bare and frozen right now. Not that it matters much to me right now as I'm still waiting on a new Polaris 850 that I snow checked.❄️

On 1/6/2022 at 9:37 AM, motonick said:

Thanks for your reports, they are always much appreciated by everyone. Helps give us a real idea of what it's like up there. most all of New York is bare and frozen right now. Not that it matters much to me right now as I'm still waiting on a new Polaris 850 that I snow checked.❄️

You are welcome motonick, wish you to receive your new toy soon!

1 hour ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Alain, when was that video taken ???  Looks like every last fresh flakes have been beaten down and needs some fresh powder.

it's all the same ride, last Monday 3 January. The temperature was very cold and the trail was hard as concrete the whole day giving mint trail conditions. It is the same this morning (-22C at home) and I hope for as good conditions today...

As for the reservoir run the trail is beaten like 100 feets wide and was completely flat, one of the best I had seen there.suspect many did it back and forth just for speed fun!

Edited by towing

3 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

Alain, when was that video taken ???  Looks like every last fresh flakes have been beaten down and needs some fresh powder.

We were there just before Alain that day. Trails were very good, and to your wish were there 3 days later on 3 inches of fresh powder. 🤗