Day 5 From Motel Harricana to Hôtel Matagami 242 miles

Day5.jpg

Day 6 From Hôtel Matagami to Amosphère 247 miles

Day6.jpg

Day 7 From Amosphère to Motel Senabi 275 miles

Day7.jpg

Day 8 From Motel Senabi to Domaine Driftwood 244 miles

Day8.jpg

Day 9 From Domaine Driftwood to Hotel Forestel 300 miles (* tried to follow the old 83 by mistake and had to turn back to find the new 83)

Day9.jpg

Plenty of snow every where I went.

I saw two bob cats one by Clova one past the saw mill to Chibougamau. While I was getting my camera two guys pulled up and did not realize they were right next to the cat.

IMG_9011.jpg

Ten years now and havent seen a moose yet. Guess I will have to try next year. Guess I can always look at Groomers photos :D .

hi gt rider !!

thanks for the map !!can see many lakes i ve been on '' off the trail '' while working for challenge kanada back in 96 and 97 .

nice pic btw , can see the '' mix '' of wildlife and sledding !!

well ,you won t find better place than gaspesie to see mooses in pq .according to the stats ,here on the duniere reserve it s 40 mooses by 10 km sq.this is too much ,they want to bring it to 30

funny side about it ,when peoples in town tell friends from big cities ,hey!!! saw 40-50-75-100 mooses this morning!!! it s just ''surreal '' for them.their jaws just drop !! ha ! ha !! my personnal best ,93 in about 3 hrs.

in about 2.5-3 months (2 winters ) working for challenge kanada from rouyn noranda to baie ste catherine up to chibougamau and down to trois rivieres ,about 14 000 km ,saw 1 female and a calf north west of l etape in the laurentides reserve .

must go grooming !!

groomer !!!

Just back from my most ambitious trip.

Day 1 From Hotel Forestel to Alberge Clova 216 miles

Day1.jpg

Day 2 From Alberge Clova to Relais 22 209 miles

Day2.jpg

Day 3 From Relais 22 to Hôtel du Jardin 256 miles

Day3.jpg

Day 4 From Hôtel du Jardin to Motel Harricana 179 miles

Day4.jpg

Day 5 From Motel Harricana to Hôtel Matagami 242 miles

Day5.jpg

Day 6 From Hôtel Matagami to Amosphère 247 miles

Day6.jpg

Day 7 From Amosphère to Motel Senabi 275 miles

Day7.jpg

Day 8 From Motel Senabi to Domaine Driftwood 244 miles

Day8.jpg

Day 9 From Domaine Driftwood to Hotel Forestel 300 miles (* tried to follow the old 83 by mistake and had to turn back to find the new 83)

Day9.jpg

Plenty of snow every where I went.

I saw two bob cats one by Clova one past the saw mill to Chibougamau. While I was getting my camera two guys pulled up and did not realize they were right next to the cat.

IMG_9011.jpg

Ten years now and havent seen a moose yet. Guess I will have to try next year. Guess I can always look at Groomers photos :D .

Excellent trip!

Andy

Nice report, awesome to see the actual GPS routes compared to what the map shows.

First year myself riding with a GPS, surprised to see 83 between Rouyn Noranda to Val d'Or new and don't understand the trail re-route through Monet to Clova. Why so far north of Monet and then you have to head south? Shitting trail also up to Monet.

Also how was the trail from Matagami down to La Sarre? Is there gas on 396 or do you have to make it all the way to La Sarre for gas?

Leave tomorrow for Temiscaming and 4 days in the Abitibi, should be fun with all the fresh snow.

Kaz

Great post.......

We are leaving March sixth for a very similar and flexible adventure. Usually use a play it by ear approach avoiding any rough areas or lack of snow/toomuch snow.

It would be really helpful if you can give any recommendations on trails to avoid!

Riden quebec for 10 years but have yet to hit the abitibi region. This year we are going to start in the maniwaki area and head north/north west and then a similar loop hitting chibougamu........ST Jean..........Tadoussac then back west.

The more specific you can be utilizing those wonderful mapsource shots would be very very much appreciated.

Thanks, BJ :yahoo:

Nice report, awesome to see the actual GPS routes compared to what the map shows.

First year myself riding with a GPS, surprised to see 83 between Rouyn Noranda to Val d'Or new and don't understand the trail re-route through Monet to Clova. Why so far north of Monet and then you have to head south? Shitting trail also up to Monet.

Also how was the trail from Matagami down to La Sarre? Is there gas on 396 or do you have to make it all the way to La Sarre for gas?

Leave tomorrow for Temiscaming and 4 days in the Abitibi, should be fun with all the fresh snow.

Kaz

I stoped for gas at camp wawagosic. I think it was about 80 miles from Matagami. I never had any problem finding gas on the entire trip.

IMG_9076.jpg

IMG_9077.jpg

PS: just did the math, 2168 miles (3500K), that's one hell of a trip. How's the body holding up?

Kaz

I usually get one trip in a year. I have a year to recover so I don't pay attention to any ache or pains :D .

I have to give props to my wife. We have been going for 10 years now and she never complains. We two up!!

I don't have any friends that will go with us but I wont let that stop me from enjoying the Beautiful scenery and nature of Quebec.

Great post.......

We are leaving March sixth for a very similar and flexible adventure. Usually use a play it by ear approach avoiding any rough areas or lack of snow/toomuch snow.

It would be really helpful if you can give any recommendations on trails to avoid!

Riden quebec for 10 years but have yet to hit the abitibi region. This year we are going to start in the maniwaki area and head north/north west and then a similar loop hitting chibougamu........ST Jean..........Tadoussac then back west.

The more specific you can be utilizing those wonderful mapsource shots would be very very much appreciated.

Thanks, BJ :yahoo:

I cant say there were any bad trails. There was plenty of snow. I would not have changed a thing.

Good report. I was on a 2100 mile trip in January, I prefer the longer trips over the 2-4 day trips. I have never been up in the Matagami area, are the trails in and out of there good?

It was my first time in Abitibi. I enjoyed the "new" trails.

I did how ever run across some open terrain with huge drifts. Glad to have my trusty shovel.

IMG_9061.jpg

IMG_9062.jpg

IMG_9063.jpg

Glad to have my trusty shovel.

IMG_9064.jpg

When I passed back by Matagami again the groomer had erased any evidence of it.

hi gt rider !!

thanks for the map !!can see many lakes i ve been on '' off the trail '' while working for challenge kanada back in 96 and 97 .

nice pic btw , can see the '' mix '' of wildlife and sledding !!

well ,you won t find better place than gaspesie to see mooses in pq .according to the stats ,here on the duniere reserve it s 40 mooses by 10 km sq.this is too much ,they want to bring it to 30

funny side about it ,when peoples in town tell friends from big cities ,hey!!! saw 40-50-75-100 mooses this morning!!! it s just ''surreal '' for them.their jaws just drop !! ha ! ha !! my personnal best ,93 in about 3 hrs.

in about 2.5-3 months (2 winters ) working for challenge kanada from rouyn noranda to baie ste catherine up to chibougamau and down to trois rivieres ,about 14 000 km ,saw 1 female and a calf north west of l etape in the laurentides reserve .

must go grooming !!

groomer !!!

Hi Groomer,

Next year I will try for the north shore with a boat trip to the famous trail TQ5. Hopefully the bridge will be repaired on TQ3.

Maybe I will see a moose. I got very lucky and saw a Wolf last year.

I always have your photos to look at :D :good:

Thanks for the planing help this year.

GT

A jumbo tip of the helmet to you. What a trip. Your wife must be a super person. You are indeed fortunate to have a gal who will share such adventures with you.

My wife Krissy and I have often toured in quebec, just the two of us, but each on their own sled. Kinda gives a little extra security in the event one sled totally cr_ps-out. To do it two up........."you be da man" (or rather "she be da woman").

Thanks for the map/gps data. I'm going to be playing around in some of that area next week and appreciate the up to date info.

We appreciate you sharing.

timbo

GT

A jumbo tip of the helmet to you. What a trip. Your wife must be a super person. You are indeed fortunate to have a gal who will share such adventures with you.

My wife Krissy and I have often toured in quebec, just the two of us, but each on their own sled. Kinda gives a little extra security in the event one sled totally cr_ps-out. To do it two up........."you be da man" (or rather "she be da woman").

Thanks for the map/gps data. I'm going to be playing around in some of that area next week and appreciate the up to date info.

We appreciate you sharing.

timbo

This was our 10th year of two upping in Quebec.

I am very fortunate to have a very adventurous wife. She really enjoys the trips. She likes to sight see along the trail.

I know what you mean about having two sleds. If I don't do it on one I will be staying home on the couch. I carry a sat phone and other equipment.

Thanks for the props to my wife.

thanks for sharing.....we did a lot of the same trails as well.....the shitty trail in monet will change again next year from what I've heard.

I have been reading your informative reports for years. (Many Thanks)

I have not been across 83 east before. I cant compare it to the old trail. I did see a bob cat shortly after Monet. Too fast for a photo.