St-Damien/St-Zenon/Mattawin river, Marineau photo/video ride report 8January2022

towing

Here the path of the ride we did round trip yesterday Saturday January8, 2022

carte(9).jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

We started from St-Damien area on #23 trail going north. The St-Gabriel de Brandon club trail section was mint but the Mandeville was rought. We passed their failed dozer that was still on the trail

DSC03772.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The #23 trail change path this season at #350 junction (the red circle on the map)

23detour4.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

To follow the #23 we now need to keep right at that junction, toward Koubec for few miles and then turn left at next junction on the very old trail path of the #23 that is the right one this season. This lead us toward Cabanon.

23detour3.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

Many sledders in place turn left to take last years path... that is not groomed

23detour1.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

There are closed signs but with the rest of the signage still there some sledders are confuse and take closed trail. Pay attention if you pass there...

23detour2.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit

The sections groomed by Royaume club were very nice

DSC03782.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSC03789.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

We rode toward Taureau dam

DSC03792.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSC03805.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

And then kept on #360 trail along Mattawin river toward Marineau auberge

DSC03817.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Even with the deep cold there was many sledders on the trails. The first #360 section up to #345 junction(Repos) was already slightly wear but was riding good and few miles farther in the Mattawin club section It was very nice.

I put together I short video of beautiful sections along the mattawin river up to Marineau

DSC03839.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Marineau covid's measure setup is nice: the toilets are accessibles and they have a section inside for us to warm up a bit. Marie-Josée always as kind and efficient sold us a warm meal that we ate outside on our BRP camping table

DSC03840.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

During our meal we had a nice surprise guest that came just aside us. Trailblazer was at breaking in his new engine on his sled in my playground. 

DSC03842.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

We had the chance to talk with him a bit before retracing our steps on the same path for the return

DSC03847.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

DSC03854.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

We stopped at our usual spot for a pic break

DSC03860.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

It give an idea of the snow cover up there...

DSC03872.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

The day traffic had wear the trails and many curves were swept/icy so we had to adjust the pace. The last #360 section before the dam was rought but between the dam and Cabanon was still pretty good other than icy curves. The only very bad bumpy section was the one already bad in the morning in Mandeville section. They were at recovering the failed dozer when we pass there.

DSC03898.JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=

Finally a good ride of 210miles for us. The snow is pretty good on this ride path and if you have the chance to do it on the week days the conditions will be even better especially at the end of the day. I still have some other good footage and I hope to have the time to put together some other video in the next days

think snow!

Alain

Edited by towing

will hopefully be at the Marineau saturday mid day for another trip. Looking forward to it. Alain....simply amazing what you and Kristine do but is it not

about time for a new jacket ...LOL...that one has to have 50,000 + miles on it by now....LOL....LOL   They should hang that one in the Musee in Murdochville...LOL

On 1/9/2022 at 9:51 PM, markusvt said:

Good times!  Awesome running into Trailblazer. 😁

Yep! was the 2nd time our path crossed by pure chances in the last years. It's part of the fun to meet other passionate sledders, it bring some warmth to our outside lunch!

16 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

will hopefully be at the Marineau saturday mid day for another trip. Looking forward to it. Alain....simply amazing what you and Kristine do but is it not

about time for a new jacket ...LOL...that one has to have 50,000 + miles on it by now....LOL....LOL   They should hang that one in the Musee in Murdochville...LOL

oh glad to know you will burn some gaz in my playground! alone or with partners?

You don't like my jacket??? too bad for you, I do!!!  As for the 50k+ miles you are just a bit under, and it's not a joke!!! I'm surprise you don't mentioned Kristine's jacket... She have the same since 1994 I think, near everybody that had met Kristine on the trail seen her with this jacket... quick calculation bring us over the 100 000 miles but... we cheat a bit: She's on the 4th exact same one!!! Her dad have gave her the first one and I bought the 3 others ones one used on ebay. She don't want to wear anything else.

An absolute Zero suit is on my wish list but not a priority... I succeed to replace Kristine's helmet last season, no chance she will change her jacket!!!

11 hours ago, 603backcountry said:

Great report Alain, thanks for posting

Thank you sir  👍!!!

10 hours ago, Florida Snowman said:

Thanks Alain!  Drooling here waiting to get up there! Thanks for sharing!

You are welcome Tom! things are shaping up, I just hope a good snow drop that would open up the whole trail network... weather forecast is not encouraging but it is still early.

9 hours ago, mikerider said:

Really nice Alain.  Glad you posted a picture of Trailblazer, haven't seen him for years.

I need to get up there with my fly rod and catch some fish.

mike

Thanks mikerider! For the pic the occasion was to good to not taking it! This Mattawin river is really inviting/tempting, you should do but...for fishing I think it would be more funny few with few degrees up on the thermometer!

Edited by towing