Search on for 6 snowmobilers

iceman

https://www.lequotidien.com/2022/01/16/six-motoneigistes-portes-disparus-pres-des-monts-valin-efb5d85d1129a6f3ee238b9ecb1e2a7f?utm_campaign=lequotidien&utm_medium=article_share&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR33d0AVXTer0qNgd3PTTBo-WxcoBFt0igfqg2_6uW5dlzpB-TLl0BiCXRU

Six snowmobilers missing near Monts-Valin

Six snowmobilers are missing north of the Saguenay, from the Monts-Valin.  The men left the La Chapelle relay around 9 a.m. Saturday morning to do an off-trail loop and did not return as planned for dinner.  At 8 p.m., the Sûreté du Québec was carrying out checks in order to plan a potential deployment.

A report was made around 6 p.m. to the Sureté du Québec by the family of the missing.  According to information from the co-owner of the La Chapelle relay, Mylène Aubry, experienced snowmobilers could find themselves within a radius of five kilometers from Lac l'Abbé.

“We are aware of the situation and are in the process of assessing preliminary information and doing checks to find out who they are and what route they are taking.  This will guide if we make a possible intervention, “commented Hélène St-Pierre, information officer at the Sûreté du Québec.

The situation led to a major mobilization of citizens.  Snowmobilers have gone in search of the six people and some citizens are even offering aerial patrols.  Teams are currently patrolling the area alternately.  If the snowmobilers are still missing on Sunday morning, several enthusiasts have volunteered to carry out a search and at least two pilots have offered to fly over the search area.

The fact that six snowmobilers are missing was first reported on the relay's Facebook page.  The publication had been relayed nearly 6,000 times at 9 p.m.

What a bad situation with it being -33C tonight if they end up in the bush overnight. Hopefully they are still all together.

Would think out of 6 guys someone would have an inReach or Spot unit for this type of event.

Would think an air search would be the only quick practical way to spot them. 

Hope for the best

Message from one of the sledders.......

Details of the January 15 snowmobile outing.

Normally in January we leave early to return early due to the short window of light available.

Yesterday we left around 10 am due to the cold for a route that we thought was feasible with the weather we had.  We were 6 experienced local snowmobilers and the ambition was to be back before nightfall.

A non-remote loop route within 4 km of our cabins was on the menu.  The first hours were challenging but the fun factor was very high.  The sun pampered us, the terrain and snow was amazing.

We had only one idea at the start and that was to complete this short route at the high level of difficulty without the option of retracing our steps.  We had overcome some steep losses in elevation over very short distances and this is precisely what made us postpone the decision to turn back, fearing the significant effort required to overcome this elevation on the way up.
 Around 3:30 p.m. we arrived above a steep waterfall surrounded by huge rocks and dense wood.  It was at this point that we decided that we were going to retrace our steps.

From that moment we joined our efforts to come back... We shoveled, sawed, pulled and pushed together to overcome the most technical sections.  At no time were we in danger, lost or injured but unfortunately we did not have our satellite devices to inform.  In the event of frostbite or injury, we would have initiated a different scenario to request help and establish an emergency plan.  We hydrated and helped each other as best we could to carry out the plan.

At the exit of the creek, 3 locals had located us and helped ease our return.

Lessons learned :
 - Even if the route seems short and feasible, always leave equipped with what you need to get by.
 - Always tell someone the area you plan to go to.
 - Despite our constant progress, a satellite communication device would have been used to inform that we were not in danger.

So touching to see how important and fast the mobilization, solidarity and efforts have been.
 Thank you very much!!!
 From the bottom of my heart 🤗

Relay the chapel
 AIRMEDIC
 Ski Doo

really great to see they are ok...could have been a different outcome at 35 below...sounds like some good experienced riders...even a small 4 km adventure can be a big deal to navigate in 4 or 5 feet of snow, going nowhere without snow shoes for sure

Yes I am glad for them they were ok, it was not a weather to stay outside an whole night without risking their life or severe frostbite

The point a retain is that they involuntarily trigger a wide search /rescue operation in this severe weather at night involving helicopter and many peoples that have been put at risk and all this would have been resume to a simple text exchange ( or phone call) if they had bring a Bidirectional satellite communication device with them at first...

9 hours ago, towing said:

The point a retain is that they involuntarily trigger a wide search /rescue operation in this severe weather at night involving helicopter and many peoples that have been put at risk and all this would have been resume to a simple text exchange ( or phone call) if they had bring a Bidirectional satellite communication device with them at first...

Bingo

no excuse with the technology today to not have some type of communication device especially in the backcountry all this could have been avoided. 

On 1/17/2022 at 12:13 PM, Florida Snowman said:

Iridium satellite phone & Air Medic are both always with me when sledding

Don't wanna hijack here, just a quick PSA on Iridium in case anyone needs:

DON'T get "Prepaid!"

Get "Monthly!"

If you're dealing with something and you're on Prepaid, when your bucket of minutes runs out your device goes kaput!

With Monthly you keep on talking, for whatever your per minute rate is, until the heli or pizza or whatever arrives!

These guys (who should be advertisers) have no-contract Monthly, so you turn it off when the snow melts, and they cycle winter users' numbers over the summer boaters bikers etc!... https://www.roadpost.com/iridium-prepaid-cards-vs-postpaid-plans-comparison

Over,

(Oops, PS: I bought one of these tough little buggers a few years ago and couldn't be happier: https://www.roadpost.com/iridium-extreme-satellite-phone.html)

Correct me if I am wrong,  but you get hurt out in the bush, the copter isn't going to fly out based on your phone call. I would guess an EMT has to make that call. So the EMT sleds out several hours to reach you, he okays it. Usually medics or police also need to find a landing place for the copter near the accident site, or haul you out on a sled to the nearest town, which could be hours away. I bet its is many, many hours before the copter delivers you to the type of hospital that can treat severe trauma. Again, I could be wrong.  I bet 10 to 12 hours from the bush to a big city hospital.

16 hours ago, Snobeeler said:

I believe they have designated landing sites. I have seen them on trail. You would need to get to one of those right?

Not that they can't improvise & find a workable clearing if one wasn't near one of those designated spots with the red signs, but it'd be pretty handy if one was near one.

And kinda like paying for a trail pass that never gets used (heaven forbid), you know the dough's going to support & sustain a good cause. The Airmedic mission & vibe seems pretty badass. 

https://www.airmedic.net/articles

https://www.airmedic.net/article/saut-haute-voltige-securite-lysanne-richard

https://www.airmedic.net/article/comment-lunettes-vision-nocturne-permettent-vous-sauver-en-tout-temps