Millinocket, Maine Conditions

For those riding Maine this season, did  my first full day ride today out of Millinocket. Conditions are excellent.

Owner of Baxter Park Inn says thanks to all the QuebecRiders that have stayed here this season. He thinks we're a good crew.

20 minutes ago, mikerider said:

For those riding Maine this season, did  my first full day ride today out of Millinocket. Conditions are excellent.

Owner of Baxter Park Inn says thanks to all the QuebecRiders that have stayed here this season. He thinks we're a good crew.

Good to hear, heading to Hewesbrook Lodge just North of Portage Lake for a week.

thanks for the info

2 hours ago, mikerider said:

I looked up Hewes Brook Lodge.  That looks like one very nice place to stay.   I had never heard of it.

mike

We stayed there last year, the place, people and food are excellent ! We had reservations for 2 nights and ended up staying 3. This year we have 9 guys staying the whole week.

Hi Joe.    I  miss riding with you buddy.   And miss our great happy hours.  Must admit, it is nice to eat lunch inside a warm restaurant. I'm pretty free all winter if you want to come this way. But I understand you going to Quebec.

Gary is talking a week or two and coming up.  He's golfing in Florida. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've had a couple inquiries about current conditions in Millinocket. I am currently there and today's ride was great conditions.  Plenty of snow. Great grooming.

Yesterday and today were mid 30's for temp, it is currently very lightly sprinkling rain. Supposed to be mid to upper 30's Fri and Sat  with possible snow or shower on Sat., and then cold again, maybe another warm up late next week. It felt below freezing today once away from town and in higher elevation. Parking lots becoming bare tar again.

Hopefully two more days of above freezing won't hurt the trails, but I just can't be sure.

mike

16 hours ago, mikerider said:

inquiries about current conditions in Millinocket. I am currently there and today's ride was great conditions.  Plenty of snow. Great grooming

If Florida-Decaf-Snowman can take & share a photo or two?...

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, mikerider said:

Currently in Madawaska, Maine. Lots of snow, great grooming and midwinter conditions. Up to a foot of snow possible on Friday.

mike

I hope you stopped in Big Ricks to eat.

Big Rick's had the best wings I've ever had.

Looks like I may head home tomorrow to avoid 2  1/2  days of snowy weather.  Friend had to leave tonight, and I don't want to ride alone in bad weather. Newest forecast says several inches to a foot coming up, but if next weekend looks cold enough, I may come back up. Riding has been great but this afternoon got really warm.

Joe,  I feel bad, didn't get hold of Ray, being with a friend I could not get away to see him.

mike

I think there is a trail there as I saw signs on the trail. I think it is the side trail after the trail to Acadia Inn. It is on the Main drag in Madawaska.

I also ate a late lunch at Lakeview. Just superb!  All Chinese restaurant food taste similar to me, but the one we found for lunch in Caribou was outstanding and huge portions.

Mike, I’m sorry to hear you say that, but I completely understand, was just having a conversation with Stan about how expensive this sport and sleds are becoming… I can’t imagine a young guy coming up with 18k for a sled and then trailer, truck, lodging, trail passes, food , gas and oil….coming in from the states for a week…. Putting on  300 mile days… 375 daily… just for gas and oil… even after exchange..  500 a day inclusive… it’s a rich man’s sport if you spend a few weeks…ouch….I leave my business to ride… probably loose 15k a week in sales… cost me 20k for 7 days…. It’s out of control… if you have paid vacation as an employee it’s much cheaper but still a lot of money

12 hours ago, quebec bob said:

Mike, I’m sorry to hear you say that, but I completely understand, was just having a conversation with Stan about how expensive this sport and sleds are becoming… I can’t imagine a young guy coming up with 18k for a sled and then trailer, truck, lodging, trail passes, food , gas and oil….coming in from the states for a week…. Putting on  300 mile days… 375 daily… just for gas and oil… even after exchange..  500 a day inclusive… it’s a rich man’s sport if you spend a few weeks…ouch….I leave my business to ride… probably loose 15k a week in sales… cost me 20k for 7 days…. It’s out of control… if you have paid vacation as an employee it’s much cheaper but still a lot of money

Agreed. That's why if you pay attention when you stop at a relais or restaurant or hotel you don't see many 20ish year olds unless they're  on Dad's dime. There are some, but few and far between. Locals included.  They can use a quad all year long. Think about how many of your friends have kids that ride serious miles? I've noticed this for at least the past 25 years.