Gaspe Planning Questions Feb 2022

Fuse6

Spending 3 days in the Gaspe next week as part of our NB/Gaspe loop.

Done the Gaspe 3 previous times but have a few questions:

1. Never rode the top end of the 595 because we always did the loop. From Iceman photos and others looks like we should run down it about 30km south from the 5 trail to see the most scenic part?

2. Radar Tower and Mummies near St Irene: where’s the secret trail entrance to get there. Last trip was looking for it and never did find it. Went up a couple different trails that led to wind towers.

3. Crossing back into NB:

we will take Mundle towing shuttle from Campellton to PLC. At the very south tip of 587S at the village of Matapedia the sled trail is only about 1 km from the bridge on both Quebec and NB sides. If there’s fresh snow is this doable on the sleds or to much of a major road and not recommended?

Is there an ice crossing at Campellton sometimes if the weather has co-operated. Think l read someplace even if ice is safe club doesn’t stake anymore due to liability issues.

Thanks Stevehttp://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_02/C5DD2A70-4F57-49C6-86C2-20104E8A08BD.thumb.png.05747b5c4ee717f891bc42045e3327cb.pnghttp://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_02/A61121E7-59D3-4661-9544-5C1525530124.thumb.png.4f616fa57ed2781471fc1ffd774dd89e.png

I would strongly recommend you run the northern portion of the 595. This is certainly one of the best rides in the Gaspe.  Run down to La Cache (+/-60mi), gas up and go back up, it is worth the ride. Going south on the trail and north have two different viewscapes.

For the Radar Towers and Mummies travel out the 587 about 9 miles past the intersection of the 591. You will come to a plowed road at about 7miles but the trail runs the ditch.  The secret trail is on your right at 9 miles, travel up it a little over a mile then swing left following the sled tracks. 

Of all your river crossing options, I recommend Mundles without hesitation.

Steven

7 hours ago, smclelan said:

I would strongly recommend you run the northern portion of the 595. This is certainly one of the best rides in the Gaspe.  Run down to La Cache (+/-60mi), gas up and go back up, it is worth the ride. Going south on the trail and north have two different viewscapes.

For the Radar Towers and Mummies travel out the 587 about 9 miles past the intersection of the 591. You will come to a plowed road at about 7miles but the trail runs the ditch.  The secret trail is on your right at 9 miles, travel up it a little over a mile then swing left following the sled tracks. 

Of all your river crossing options, I recommend Mundles without hesitation.

Steven

Thanks Steven

Should be able to find the tower this trip.👍

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/2/2022 at 10:22 AM, Fuse6 said:

2. Radar Tower and Mummies near St Irene: where’s the secret trail entrance to get there. Last trip was looking for it and never did find it. Went up a couple different trails that led to wind towers.

The coordinates I have for the "Secret Trail" starting point are N48° 23.613' W67° 46.786'  Like Steve said 9 miles from 591.

Tower Coordinates N48° 25.235' W67° 47.876'

IMG_2346.JPG

IMG_2348.JPG

IMG_2349.JPG

We are putting a trip together starting in RDL in 10 days. have a few lodging questions. First one is lodging in Gaspe. Stayed there a few times many moons ago. Anyone stay in recent years? Any intel?

The website for the CIE mentioned above in St Anne Des Monts had a picture that showed closed till April 15th. I called and that is a mistake. Will book there on the advice above and from Iceman.

5 hours ago, Snobeeler said:

We are putting a trip together starting in RDL in 10 days. have a few lodging questions. First one is lodging in Gaspe. Stayed there a few times many moons ago. Anyone stay in recent years? Any intel?

The website for the CIE mentioned above in St Anne Des Monts had a picture that showed closed till April 15th. I called and that is a mistake. Will book there on the advice above and from Iceman.

Which loop are you doing? If staying at Hotel Cie and then heading east Hotel Caribou at Rivière du Renard is a good place to stay. http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_02/5F4517D4-D0AB-4C77-9CC7-20ABB1A63B53.thumb.png.2c6da2ca5dc8a013cf13f1373df04aac.png

2 hours ago, Fuse6 said:

Which loop are you doing? If staying at Hotel Cie and then heading east Hotel Caribou at Rivière du Renard is a good place to stay. http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_02/5F4517D4-D0AB-4C77-9CC7-20ABB1A63B53.thumb.png.2c6da2ca5dc8a013cf13f1373df04aac.png

We are heading to New Richmond after Hotel CIE. We may use your suggestion on Hotel Caribou the night before though, we would be riding from The Copper thru Perce and then north, could skip Gaspe and finish at Hotel Caribou. Looks like just under 200 mile day. Thanks

Of course, almost finished all reservations till The Copper was full. Switched whole trip in opposite direction and it worked. Only issue now is in New Richmond, The Le Francis does not serve any food on Sundays and Mondays. Anybody ever stay at Au Fin Gourmet?

Hope I'm not barging in, but is there also a lookout tower on 587?  Somewhere near La Redemption?  Also anyone have any experience with Auberge l'Amarre in Mont Louis?  Nice enough pkace to take your wife?  I just booked for next week.  Matane to New Richmond, New Richmond to Mont Louis, Mont Louis to Matane.  Then figured we'd do the 587 loop as a short morning ride before heading home.