Gaspesie March 21-24

smclelan

Mid March snowmobiling is always good in the Gaspesie. This year was no exception. I landed in Pointe a la Croix on Friday afternoon to start a three day trip with Longriderss and Scorpionbowl. They were coming in late friday night from New Hampshire. While waiting for them I decided to run over to see the most famous groomer operator in all of Quebec at his clubhouse in Albertville. The trails were perfect, the PALC groomer had just done the trail to the St Fidele cable bridge, and from there Groomers trails were perfect. On the way back I stopped at the little bar in Sainte Margurite for a beer, not many people speaking English in there. LOL So I got an extra 130 miles on than the other two guys that landed late, those are "Bonus Miles".

We all pulled out Saturday morning in beautiful sunshine and about -10c. We went to New Richmond, the snow was a little hard and you could smell slides from time to time. I had to drag a heel to put extra snow into the skid for cooling on the TZ1 a couple of times. We then turned up the 595 and the cooling problems seem to disappear.

A perfect morning on the 595. Scorpionbowl smoking by.

We stopped at La Cache for gas and a drink. Never noticed before, La Cache has a 1 Star rating. Don't think I have ever seen one either.

The trails were tabletop all the way through, and the weather was perfect.

Longriderss posing like a peacock.

We pulled into the St. Paulin Clubhouse, it was very busy.

We left there and headed East. A trip along the North shore just isn't complete without a picture of the "Bus", the Lighthouse at Le Martre and the Bear Lookout. We stayed the night in Mont Saint Pierre. 300 miles right on to the parking lot. The Hotel Motel was sold last year but Raymond was there serving breakfast in the morning. He does it to help the new owner, great to talk to him again.

We were on the trail early Sunday morning heading east. We went past the 597 to Riviere Madeliene snapped a pic or two of the bridge, then into the waterfall just past town.

We then turn and went back down the 597, past Murdochville and too the local trail that goes out to Douglastown and south to Perce. Trails were perfect again all the way.

Yours Truly

We struggled to leave here, it was just a great day to look at the Rock. But we forced ourselves away only to get stopped by the QPP and a Trail Warden before hitting the TQ5 again. They were great and only held us up a minute. We gased up and turned up the 597 from Chandler, the boys all said lets fly up Piston Alley, WOW what a ride. The TZ1 was sitting at the end waiting for a couple of minutes for the other two to show up. It was working very good. That night we stayed at the Copper. 300 miles again for the day

Morning Rush Hour at Murdochville

The next morning we took the trail from Murdochville to La Cache and back up the 595 to St Paulin. We got to within about 5 miles of the clubhouse and a moose was on the trail and would not get off. We followed him for a couple of miles, at one point I thought I would get a little closer and try to chase him off the trail. He turn broadside to the trail and flattened his ears down, Groomer had told me at one time that means he is "Pissed Off". Needless to say all three sleds instantly went into reverse and we were making double time backwards. We had a bit of a Mexican standoff for a bit till he headed up the trail again. We finally passed him on the side where they have cut the trail out wider. We had a coffee at the clubhouse and headed toward Matane. There was about 8" of frest powder and some snow in the air. Perfect trails again. From Matane we traveled the 591 a ways then turned toward Saint Vianney, Saite Tharcisus, and Saint Alexandre des Lacs. Neither of the guys with me had been through these trail before and agreed they were hidden jewel of this area. I strongly recomemend them to anyone. The next stop was for a beer with Groomer and tell him of our adventures. That night we backtracked to Amqui and stayed at the Ambassadeur. 265 mile for the day.

Tuesday morning we left early and headed to the trucks. Stopped long enough to snap a picture of some snow drifted in front of a house in Sainte Margurite. Groomers trails were awesome.

We ended the trip at the Lookout over PALC, I have been looking for this one for a couple of years and found it this time. There is one at the top of the ski hill and the other going toward Albertville right off the trail. This one is on the Albertville side at the very top of the hill you have to go up a very tight trail barely wide enough for a sled. 85 miles

Longriderss and Scorpionbowl remember that 130 miles I got at the first of the trip, that now gives me 1080 miles. HAA

Edited by smclelan

Steven, Excellent post on the trip. It was a pleasure to ride with you and Scorpionbowl. The Gaspe trails are some of the finest I have ever ridden.

Groomer, The TQ 5 headed south on Tuesday morning was tabletop smooth. Excellent job keeping up the trails. You do some of the finest work around.

great pics smclelan !! :good:

like the one with the rock and the church ,both look '' massive '' and the one with longriderss with mount nicol albert in the back ground .you ll have to give me a few tricks !!! :lol:

great to meet you again guys + scorpionbowl for the first time .

earlier this morning went to check tq 5 outside town and it still nice !!

sunny day again ,-15c around 6 30 am.

im on my way to go up to my camp to do fire woods .

thanks !!

groomer !!! :drinks:

Thanks for sharing, Steven. I was there just a month ago but I'm still jealous. You guys found some hidden gems that I didn't know even know existed and I am sure there are many more. That area is so special!

Look forward to meeting you one day. Have a great summer.

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

Excellent post and pictures too. Hope I can Join in on a ride up there next year. :drinks:

No pictures of the moose warning???

Funny thing, we all looked at the moose and never took a picture. We all said we had enough moose pictures, that comes from riding the Gaspe.

• 2 weeks later...
Funny thing, we all looked at the moose and never took a picture. We all said we had enough moose pictures, that comes from riding the Gaspe.

I've read some posts (groomers) that talk about how many moose you see on Gaspe. I really hope to make a trip to ride there next year. Your pictures only fuel that fire more, Thank you :drinks: