Long-Awaited Season Opener 2022!

Florida Snowman

What a LONG 23 months of government legislated abstinence from my happy place of Quebec in the winter! My last day of snowmobiling there was March 15th 2020.  The border shut 6 days later.  That is finally behind me now!!

Well they talked about a big nor’easter coming in last Thursday into Friday. Time to change my plans by 24 hours. Changed my flight to 1 day earlier to Wednesday and took a 7AM flight from Florida to New Jersey to get my truck. My son Jason from NYC met me there & we scrambled for all our gear & hit the black trail at high noon.  I always try to avoid snow and ice on my drives up and back in the truck.  Of course I got my every 2-4 years speeding ticket on I 87 northbound in the high peaks for the Court of Chesterfield New York. Oh well. I have a tight schedule to keep!  Crossed border at 5:15PM.  Very very easy.  ArriveCAN is simple & works great.  Got thru in 10 minutes & no Covid test given to either of us to take post entry.  Drove to Trois Rivières to pick up my fully serviced trailer & sleds.  Then drove another 90 minutes to Lac-a-l’eau-Claire for our lodging.  Arrived at 8:30PM in our condo.  Palm Beach Gardens, Florida to NJ to Saint-Alexis-des-Monts in 13.5 hours!! Long day but mission completed. It’s full on peak season conditions here!  Yippee Ky Yea!!!

To be continued………………

Edited by Florida Snowman

Day 1: Thursday Feb 3

Woke up to 3 inches of fresh powder on the sleds and still snowing moderately. Sweet!  Today is going to be a shakedown day to make sure everything‘s working right and all the gear is as it should be.  Walked over to the dining room and had a great breakfast. Yes the dining situation is back open. I believe they are at a 50% capacity regulation now.  We first needed to clear at the front desk with our Covid vaccination cards. Masks are required unless you are sitting at the dining table. Came back, got geared up, loaded up the sleds & pulled out around 9:45AM. 

continued…….

Took 349S to Lac Blanc then 350N to local unnamed to TQ23E to M11 to Hotel Sacacomie for lunch.  Everything was fresh groomed with the 2 to 3 inches of fresh on top. Great way to start indeed. All except for the 11 clicks on M11 in to Sacacomie.  That wasn’t terrible but it certainly wasn’t acceptable.  The men working up at the sled parking area said that it hadn’t been groomed in 2 to 3 weeks.  Had a great lunch with some of the best food available in the entire area. I always loved this place. Would stay there more often if they did not require you to park your sled so far away from the hotel. Saddle bagging into that place requires way too much carrying for too long a distance. Continued back M11 to TQ23E to 349S and back to Lac-a-l’eau-Claire and gassed up the sleds & extra fuel PowderKeg etc.  Had a fantastic 4 course dinner, lit a nice fire in our condo & relaxed.

85 miles  

Hi siding is a grooming technique.  You groom the outside of the corners first pass.  Brings the snow back to the low side of the corner creating a flat corner.  Then you groom the inside on the return trip.  Or if corners are piled up real bad you hit the outside or middle again.  If you don't do it corners keep growing out of level with snow and you never keep a level trail.  Best only to be done at night when there is lights to see oncoming traffic around the corner.

Day 2:  Friday Feb 4

After our small shakedown run yesterday, one of the several problems that I needed to resolve was my helmet shield frosting up again. I’ve been using an HJC CL14 with electric face shields for many years. I had an extra electric replacement shield in my gear bag which I swapped out and that one also wasn’t working well. This helmet definitely doesn’t owe me any money with the number of years I have on it so a new one is definitely in order! (Right Scorpionbowl?). So today’s trip changed with a priority excursion to Cap-de-la-Madeleine to see Pierre at Motos Thibault. Being the type of guy he is, he worked through his lunch hour with his accessories assistant to help me pick out a new helmet. When we got there they already had 7 helmets sitting out ready for me to try on.  Motos Thibault ROCKS!  After I found the one I wanted we were back out and on the run. It’s so much nicer when you can see! LOL. Had a great day on absolutely fantastic fresh groomed and perfect trails! Got back to home base at 4:00PM.  Lit a nice fire and relaxed before a great dinner!

170 miles

Day 3:  Saturday Feb 5

Woke up to a bright and sunny day with a beautiful temp of -8F*. I love this temperature because the trails and snow sets up perfect for Motoneige!  As expected all the groomers had been out the night before and the trails in the entire province were my favorite & most beautiful color PURPLE on iMotoneige!  QUEBEC ROCKS!  

Today we were going to take a visit to a place I had taken my family for a week in February 25 years ago. My son Jason had vivid memories of it and wanted see it again & to get some French onion soup for lunch.  Headed out 349S making first tracks on fresh groomed asphalt yet again. Took TQ63S to 345 to 349 to Auberge-de-la-Montagne Coupee.  Parking lot had a dozen trucks and trailers parked there. They also built a lot more additions and condos hanging on the back cliff top with amazing views!  The waitress told me one of them can sleep 20 people! I would love to have toured them but we did not have the time.  After some great French onion soup and hot rolls and butter we suited back up and headed out. Took 349 to orange trail past lac Noir to TQ63 to TQ23 to 350 to 345 to orange to TQ23E to 349S and back to home base at 3:45PM.  Another great day!

153 miles

Day 4:  Sunday Feb 6

Today was a planned turnover day. My son has an 11:00AM flight out of YUL Montreal to EWR in NJ. It’s crazy but we found out just last night that he must have a negative Covid PCR or antigen test within 24 hours of the flight taking off or he won’t be allowed to board! Absolutely nuts given the fact that PCR tests can take up to 72 hours to get results! My good friend Iceman and Mrs. ICE (Don & Caroline) did some immediate hard networking and found out that the quickest & best thing to do given the fact that it’s Saturday night was to take the test at the airport YUL. Thank you so much Don & Caroline!!!  Unfortunately you can’t risk it so you must be at the airport 3 1/2 hours prior to takeoff. My son was able to schedule an appointment online for 8:00AM to be done right at the airport for $150.00!  So many people making money off this pandemic! Oh well such is life.  He got picked up by car service at 6AM and was at the airport at 7:40AM. Got a negative test result & was home in NYC at 2:00PM. 

I spent the rest of the day getting all my supplies & gear ready for a saddle bag trip which will be departing tomorrow morning.  We are planning 11 nights on the trail with three men. Jim and Rob will be arriving to my condo late afternoon/early evening from northern VT. I plan to keep the fire place stoked with lots of wood & watch the Winter Olympics lying on the sofa. My body needs to be rested up very nicely for the large task ahead!!

to be continued………………..

The CL-14 helmet will freeze up when you don’t do more than 200 miles in a day. Since you’re doing just a few miles a day, you should be able to use a helmet like this…

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_02/B33327DA-794A-4185-A86E-9D8320BFABC3.thumb.jpeg.965004b37be9c69e9aa493c248f9973d.jpeg

Edited by scorpionbowl

2 hours ago, scorpionbowl said:

The CL-14 helmet will freeze up when you don’t do more than 200 miles in a day. Since you’re doing just a few miles a day, you should be able to use a helmet like this…

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_02/B33327DA-794A-4185-A86E-9D8320BFABC3.thumb.jpeg.965004b37be9c69e9aa493c248f9973d.jpeg

bonsoir scorpionbowl !!!

funny one !!!

is that means that im a quebec rider low-miler ?????😜

jean-guy

10 12 13 117.jpg

8 hours ago, groomer said:

bonsoir scorpionbowl !!!

funny one !!!

jean-guy

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_02/341199636_101213117.thumb.jpg.b3158857ee2e92a11d5e51fd91da2341.jpg

NOW THATS one tough sonofabitch !!!!!!!!!!!

9 hours ago, groomer said:

bonsoir scorpionbowl !!!

funny one !!!

jean-guy

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_02/341199636_101213117.thumb.jpg.b3158857ee2e92a11d5e51fd91da2341.jpg

tabarnac!!!....  hardcoresledder!!

bonjour !!!

ahaha.....

for you hi-milers.....best way to stay warm all winter.....you ll feel that you re on a florida beach ...even further south in aruba...

do that every time  i ride....

first ride of the season ....dec 10 th ...2013

i wanted to write ''that ski doo feeling ''....but i was riding a yamaha that day ...

sorry for the hi-jack tom ....have a great day !!!

jean-guy

10 12 13 063.jpg

Sunday continued-

So Jim and Rob got to my condo at about 4:30 PM. They opened up the trailer to drop the two sleds and before doing so noticed that Jim’s sled was sagging in the rear. They had ridden earlier Sunday morning in the Island Pond Vermont area with no problems. So it looks like the rear shock was blown. Tabernac! Rut row! Not a great way to start a saddlebag trip. I spoke with Pierre at Motos Thibault via texting as it was Sunday and he was sure he did not have one in stock but would check first thing Monday morning.  Rob and Jim went into the trailer later that evening to further diagnose and determined it was definitely the rear shock. So the minds continued to think think think think think. Jim said there are no problems only solutions. They have a used shock at their camp in northern Vermont a half hour south of the border. So it looks like they will be leaving here very early Monday morning to drive down, cross the border and make the repair swap. Plan was to also get back to meet me in Saint Raymond Monday night. Fingers crossed! Snowmobiling is always an adventure!

Day 5:  Monday Feb 7

Jim and Rob pulled out for VT just before 7 AM. Jim scheduled his Covid test online last night. Rob’s original test should be good for his return as it was within 72 hours. 

I had a great breakfast, loaded up my sled and pulled out at 9 AM. Another morning with all purple & first tracks!  Took 349N to TQ23E to 353N to TQ73E & then did some touring all around the Saint Raymond area. Pulled into the Roquemont early at 2:45PM.  Lots of trucks and trailers from Ontario here! They did such a good job renovating this place. It’s nothing fancy but it sure is much better than when it was the Coline.  It’s in the perfect place. Had a fantastic steak for dinner then the best crème brûlée I’ve had for dessert! I heard from Jim that they crossed the border at 5 PM. They gave Rob the lucky post entry Covid test that he must take. They pulled in to the Roquemont a few minutes after 9PM. One hell of a long day for them! So the team is together & it’s a go. They only lost one day of riding.

145 miles