Gas issues or problems this winter? Anyone else have any?

rob

Now that the winter is drawing to a close, I'd like to compare notes. After getting a bad tank of gas that clogged my fuel filter and pump in Québec this winter, I'm just wondering if anyone else had any kind of similar problem or if mine was an isolated issue? Please post your experiences on any kind of fuel related problem here.

I have always made a point of filling up at high traffic gas stations, and so far have yet to have a problem. However there are times when you can't so I always have a bottle of isopropelyne handy in case the fuel seems questionable. Years back when I had boosted sleds, I always carried a bottle of octane boost just in case. You wrote that you fuel filter was blocked- Was it sediment or water? I've been told to avoid filling up at a station that has the tanker truck filling up the tanks. The new fuel filling the tanks stirs up all the crap in the bottom , however the filters on the actual gas pumps should take care of that.

I have always made a point of filling up at high traffic gas stations, and so far have yet to have a problem. However there are times when you can't so I always have a bottle of isopropelyne handy in case the fuel seems questionable. Years back when I had boosted sleds, I always carried a bottle of octane boost just in case. You wrote that you fuel filter was blocked- Was it sediment or water? I've been told to avoid filling up at a station that has the tanker truck filling up the tanks. The new fuel filling the tanks stirs up all the crap in the bottom , however the filters on the actual gas pumps should take care of that.

It was a fine reddish sediment that blocked the filter. The pump was having trouble pumping, and I suspect the filter at the pump had been removed.

Also, how prevalent is ethanol in Quebec? I have heard it both ways, some saying that there are no ethanol blends in QC, and others say there are. I know for sure there is an ethanol plant in Varennes, QC, and I understand there is a law in Québec requiring all gasoline contain 5 percent ethanol (by volume) by 2012. I can't help but wonder if this figured into my problem.

I have yet to see sediment problems, but have seen water problems on different ocassions. High volume stations are usually safer. I always look in the end of the noozle before putting it into the tank. Many times I have seen the noozle filled with snow.

If I am not mistaken, ethanol content is 10% max, and the pump will be labelled as an ethanol blended fuel. If it was a reddish sediment sounds to me like the station must have had old steel tanks that have seen better days. What kind of station was it? A mom and pop rural one or a big named one? (Petro Can, Shell. Ultramar...)

Never had a problem.....yet. I always add Iso. dry gas when I fuel up, force of habit from my 2 stroke days. That sediment sounds like the fuel was stirred up some how before you filled up, possibly from a tanker filling just before you got there.

Rob -

I have not had problems but yours sounds like the result of possibly just one fill up from a bad source.

I would like to hear from someone who lives in QC and could comment on whether:

1) the Government requires ethanol be blended with their gasoline?

AND if it IS

2))what percent is the maximum allowed?

I made it a point to look at the pumps for labels but never did see one during my travels in QC this winter.

To those of you adding dry gas, remember that if the fuel already has ethanol, DON'T add dry gas since you may over do it. Ethanol is hygroscopic (attracts water) and too much is not a good idea.

Edited by vt_bluyamaha54

To those of you adding dry gas, remember that if the fuel already has ethanol, DON'T add dry gas since you may over do it.

I was thinking the same thing about adding dry gas to fuel with Ethanol. But like you said the pumps dont say it in QC. I would think they would post it on the pump if it was added but who knows?

I was thinking the same thing about adding dry gas to fuel with Ethanol. But like you said the pumps dont say it in QC. I would think they would post it on the pump if it was added but who knows?

In the US it is not a requirement that the pumps are labeled. Most are, but not all.

Warning: The following areas do not NOT require ethanol/alcohol pump labeling:

District of Columbia - DC, Indiana - In, Kansas - KS, Kentucky - KY,

Maryland - MD, Michigan - MI, Minnesota - MN, Missouri - MO, Nevada - NV,

New Hampshire - NH - New Jersey - NJ, North Carolina - NC, Ohio - OH.

Caution: The following states sometimes require labeling, often dependent on percent of ethanol alcohol added:

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Mississippi, Montana, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia.

I haven't been able to find info on ethanol labeling requirements for Canada.

Rob there was a bulliton that came out on feb.28 from BRP. for that exact problem.It happened to me at 5000km.Rode all day no problems,same as all year,fueled up and crossed road and sled started acting up.Thought water for sure.Siphoned out fuel put new and same problem,took fuel tank out,found water and same as you on filter in pump.Called my dealer and found out about new filter update,changed parts,all is well now.New filter is 5 times larger and stronger.

Hope this helps,call your dealer,because this might not be a recall.

Rob there was a bulliton that came out on feb.28 from BRP. for that exact problem.It happened to me at 5000km.Rode all day no problems,same as all year,fueled up and crossed road and sled started acting up.Thought water for sure.Siphoned out fuel put new and same problem,took fuel tank out,found water and same as you on filter in pump.Called my dealer and found out about new filter update,changed parts,all is well now.New filter is 5 times larger and stronger.

Hope this helps,call your dealer,because this might not be a recall.

Thanks, I'll check on it. Still wonder where the dirt and water is coming from? My sled only had about 300 mi on it when it happened. :drinks:

No problems with any fuel in Quebec. This year we mainly fueled up at the lodges we stayed at also. Our group runs mainly 4-strokes though. But even the 1 2-stroke we ran with had no problems....

Now that the winter is drawing to a close, I'd like to compare notes. After getting a bad tank of gas that clogged my fuel filter and pump in Québec this winter, I'm just wondering if anyone else had any kind of similar problem or if mine was an isolated issue? Please post your experiences on any kind of fuel related problem here.

What Station was the Gas from? not the esso in front of the HI?

Gutz