Joliette/St-Côme(Ice sculptures festival) photo ride report 13february2022

towing

Here our last Sunday trail path for a Joliette St-Côme loop

carte(14).jpg

The festival St-Côme en glace(Ice sculpture festival) began this last weekend so it was a good opportunity to ride on this side

The last week thaw that hit us up to Saturday had been rough for the south west of Quebec province were the snow levels were already limit but after the deep cold Saturday night and the good groomers work the trails from home and up north survived well and we got good trails conditions.

Here near home at start. As expected, trails were very hard: scratchers on duty!.

DSC04596.JPG

DSC04599.JPG

A bit of brownish snow on some spot but no breakthrough. Here north from Joliette

DSC04608.JPG

As expected side of the roads are not at their best...here crossing Baril bridge

DSC04613.JPG

But the fields are nice. Here north of St-Ambroise de Kildare

DSC04619.JPG

From here south of St-Alphonse de Rodriguez we began to saw some new snow. Grooming of Coureur des Bois snowmobile club was perfect

DSC04631.JPG

North of St-Alphonse when going up in the mountains we got some vey nice scenery

DSC04642.JPG

DSC04646.JPG

Once in St-Côme we walked a bit in the village to admire the sculptures. Again this year we are not deceived!

DSC04675.JPG

DSC04670.JPG

We are still early in the festival that was just begin and will continue up to the end of February. Many Sculptures were still "work in progress" and we had the chance to watch many artists at work

DSC04683.JPG

DSC04686.JPG

To give you an idea what to expect of this festival, they pulled from the river more than 700 ice blocks of more than 3000lbs each that have been placed along the principal road  in the village for the sculptors

DSC04705.JPG

DSC04709.JPG

The Festival that just started will last 2 weeks/3 weekends to end on the 27 February. It's a nice destination ride by sleds if you are in the area, the #343 trail pass trough the village, impossible to miss!

We then continued our ride in north direction on #343

DSC04738.JPG

There was the short last section of the #343 that was rough but back on the #63 it was nice

DSC04745.JPG

We pass by the Bazinet outfitter

DSC04746.JPG

And continued down to Ste-Émilie/St-Damien. Here just down the big hill in St-Gabriel direction

DSC04775.JPG

South of St-Gabriel, a bit more brown snow spots visible but overall very good

DSC04786(1).JPG

DSC04795.JPG

The long fields between St-Norbert and Ste-Elisabeth were hard and very fast

DSC04809(1).JPG

And finally here near home

DSC04818.JPG

We got home early with 135 miles for the whole small loop

So the season is still going strong here, already mid February... let's enjoy it

Alain

I didnt look at a thing yet. I just wanted to be first to post...LOL

Now that that's out of the way, thanks for giving me some bed night reading material....LOL

And I'll also be the first to say DAMN AWESOME without even seeing it yet ....LOL

Just STUPID CRAZY the talent those people have in that town. Only there once about 10 yrs ago. They had a big ice slide down at the park area. Me and my jackass buddies have video of each other sliding down it in full gear. St Come is really close to St Jean de Matha where we have started trips oodles of time but we are always heading out the other way and in a hurry to get to camp. I want to go back next year for sure.