ICEMAN & PLAYHARD Mid-Season Gentlemen-of-Leisure Tour

PLAYHARD

1 hour ago, scorpionbowl said:

Either playhard or Florida snowman smoked a track at lac a Jim 15 years ago!

Was both, both were a flapping studs (the old fashioned kind with hole-punch backers) through a heat exchanger as I recall ;<)

Playhard in 05, limped it into Lac Au Jim for a pickup truck ride out. I think a local racer welded up the hole and put a new track on it that night, delivered it the next morning ready to ride.

Florida Snowman in 08, North of Latuque, pickup truck ride from Relais Trappeur.

man down Jan05.JPG

Snowman 2008 Trappeur.jpg

15 hours ago, NH-Moose said:

Florida Snowman in 08, North of Latuque, pickup truck ride from Relais Trappeur.

What a memory you have John!  I remember hitting a cut/split fireplace log on the trail that day & then the dreadful green blood started leaking from my horse. I can’t believe you found that picture so quickly! 

1 hour ago, iceman said:

I had no bleeding bit a big Flapper.

28k plus km original track

i knew i was pushing it.

i pushed she flapped

i will write it all up soon

stay tuned

That's 16 k miles.  You did get your money worth out of that track. 

Monday 28 February 

Beautiful morning in Roberval. Total of 12 sleds here. Cold but blue skies. Showing lots of purple up on top of the Lake. Perfect as bingo is my name O. We are headed up through St Felicien and then through La Dore and loop over to Restaurant du Chef. Followed by some up n down orange trail bingo. Snohorse knows exactly what I am saying, don’t ya buddy?

Again we are gentlemen of leisure today. I cracked the whip(are you allowed to say that anymore?) yesterday and said to Playhard it’s sunday and we got just over 200 miles to get up to the Lake. So we hit it early and run up there. Which we did. 

Today no rush we are here. By the way remember...wherever you go...there you are. 

Breakfast some study of I-motoneige to finalize route and share some pionts on our GPS. We are off like a herd of turtles. All two of us. 

373 from hotel drifted in fields and rough. Probably about 4-5 miles of this, in my helmet I am saying I am not dealing with this crap all day. Knowing there is groomed stuff ahead. As I have had just about enough of this i see where the groomer turned around and hey now, I am on a proper trail one would expect. Thank you diesel powered hydraulics. No more cow path here she is a ripper. 

Sweet run all the way thru Relais Buttes and up to the Left to La Dore. All beautiful. Had to zip up the jacket biting cold the wind is today. Got to local to Du Chef and still all nicely groomed. Anywhere in the open very drifty. Woods all good. Topped gas at du Chef just because. Back down from du Chef and rejoin 373/93 then back track to just Before Relais Buttes. We cross the river and take local orange trail to Normandin. 

Lots of small changes to trails up here but it’s been two years since I been up here. Near Relais Buttes is all changed up. 

While in Normandin I am thinking this would be the time to restock the JACK. I checked around the gas station in the shopping center but no dice. David was on it. Talking with a nice guy walking through parking lot, gives us the intel. Go to IGA 1/2km down.

I said how do we get there? Famous last words were spoken...take the road. 

Down to IGA no problems we get the JACK. Back to trail and we continued up the local orange trail. beautiful conditions all perfect trail. We arrive at 373 and go left then right not far after. Up Snohorse’s favorite orange trail. Too good to be true how nice this is. 

And so it was.

To be continued....

On 2/23/2022 at 6:21 PM, Snohorse said:

Following their crumb trails. Fired up and gone Just after😀 10am. Cruised towards St Donat. Burned the lakes a few times. New Hampshie Moose would appreciate that !Then headed back north East. Time now 6:04 pm.

Looking maybe landing Auberge Du Vieux Moulin or that area ? Guest guessing ..   Disclaimer just a key board ridder . After their happy  hour I am sure they😀 will report the real time.

What was the lake like at St Donat?? much slush?? We are heading that way tomorrow and we have a nervous lake crosser with us

48 minutes ago, aj17ca said:

What was the lake like at St Donat?? much slush?? We are heading that way tomorrow and we have a nervous lake crosser with us

No slush and surprisingly flat all the way across. 

Lake is perfectly safe. 

Monday 28 February continues 

We arrive at the junction of the local orange trail and rejoin TQ93 we are smiling ear to ear in our helmets both agreeing it’s good to be us right now. We turn left toward Lac a Jim, time for a nice stop for Lunch and we will continue this glorious run. 

Well 12km from Lac a Jim on this outstanding trail, I hear it. I dismiss it at first as maybe an Iceberg as this Apex like all others processes ice and alot of it. But I quickly realized this was not an iceberg. I pull off and stop. Waiting for David to appear. He arrives and I tell him I think the fun is just about to start. 

I say this because there is no sense in drama. Got no time for that. When issues arrive and the always do, be it something minor like a bad cord for your shield, or something major like your track being finished. It’s all part of the game and we been down all these roads before. How you deal with these setbacks and what moves you make next determine the quality of your team. And your experiences together. On trail, off trail(hotel, relais, bar...etc.) is what it’s all about. 

So we run the sled ahead and find the offending flap. Nice tear, very impressed with my handy work. I take out my trusty knife, usually for slicing up sausage, pepperoni and cheese for happy hour, but she cuts the flap just fine. 

Off to Lac a Jim. Go Easy is not in my playbook but I had to make it there. So easy it is. Pull into Relais at Lac a Jim. What’s a couple of gentlemen of leisure to do?

Have lunch of course. 

We forward some pictures to the shop at Moto Thibault, I knew the response before it came. It was suggested if I continue with it like that, I should not go far from the road. LOL. 

Over lunch we brainstorm and I chat with the two wonderful ladies there. One says her brother lives right there and is retired, should be home and can take us to Dolbeau. We call Gerard the brother but his wife says he’s gone ski dooing and not sure when he will be back. Almost a home run. 

We had already secured the 15’ U-Haul in Dolbeau so time for plan B. The woman is almost done we are the only people there now and it’s 3pm. She agrees to drive David to get the U-haul. This will work merci. He left at 3:45 40 minutes to Dolbeau paperwork and gets truck back at Lac a Jim at 6:00.. 

I had been searching for a good snow bank to load up the sleds but found nowhere great, plus one sled needed to go in backwards as it aint wide enough for 2 side by side. In the parking lot is an enclosed trailer with an awesome rear door ramp. I find out the owner is at one of the chalets there at Lac a Jim. I find the guys friend but the trucks owner is not there. He agrees to come see what he can do for us. No way we are lifting the Apex with just 2 of us. Anyway he opens up his friends trailer we use the Ramp and load up the sleds. 6:40 on the road southbound. 

We’re not sure at first but it becomes clear this is a one way ride to Shawinigan we are going all the way tonight. Playhard gets us out of the bush and ice road down through Normandin and onward thru St Felicien then Roberval to Chambord we stoo for Gas and snacks in Lac Bouchette then I take the wheel for the final run down the 155 dry road no traffic. Love it. 

Into Chez Ice at 11:37. Pretty good time. 

Not our first adventure together in a U-haul and surely not the last and I am OK with all of it. 

It’s all Snowmobiling.

Today we slept in. Visited with Mrs Ice then decided we should get my sled to the doctor. My sled is probably finished for this season. I would have changed the track but try to find an iceripper see how that goes. Maybe he said Maybe he can find one we shall see. But either way its getting the works when they pull that track. All new bearings in chaincase and everything else he feels like should be done. They will get er right.

Dropped off U-haul in Trois Riveres and we are set up for a final ride for this ride, tomorrow local from home. I had to ask the mrs. nicely if I could ride my sled. She thinks the Blue sled is hers but it’s not. But I gave her the courtesy of asking. But I was taking it regardless of the answer. She still cannot walk so I am definitely able to outrun her stlll for another week or so. 

Ride on people.