Right not left people

PMAC

9 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

I'm to the point in recent years that when I cross the first rider I calculate (in split seconds) what I'm dealing with. A lead guy should be in control no matter how fast they are going. Plus you get a quick glance of the sled and rider which WILL tell you a lot. Everyone knows what I'm talking about. If the first dude is standing up, has a mohawk or helmet cam on your usually in trouble for what is coming next. If it's a two/up with a taboggan its a different hazard. If it's an animal a different scenario. In recent years (at least the last two) I have come to a FULL STOP on a blind corner and parked the sled up on the bank waiting for the next guys coming. And sure as shit have sat there and watched douchebag after douchebag cut a corner so fast and out of control that we surely would have had an accident like the one last night on Tug Hill. I often wonder what those DOUCHEBAGS think when they see me parked (damn near in the tree's) sticking my arms out like....WTF ...are you doing as they mindlessly rip by.  I would have NEVER made it this far unscathed if not for ALWAYS thinking about the other guy and what lies just over that hill or corner. 

I do it like you do. Have had my share of idiots give me the wrong vibes and I stop before the next corner just to watch the shit show take the turn. I applaud as they pass mixed in with some sarcastic thumbs up 👍

Sad to say but it’s more and more like Russian roulette each day. Alot of amateurs and those who have been riding the middle for years and will never change. 

But at least they give the hand signals. 

Rode Tug Hill yesterday morning for 2 hours.  Had to have passed 150 - 200 sleds.  Spent the morning creeping around corners on the extreme right.  Thinking the whole time there will be accidents today.  Condolences to the loved ones.

To each their own but anyone who knows Quebec knows.....

deciding to ride in Tug Hill

is like booking a peaceful resort in Ukraine right now. 

Neither one a great choice.....

#neveragain

Don’t intentionally mean to be the continuing “bearer of bad news” but this one I just saw and is probably the saddest of the sad. 

does NOT make sense why the parents “want justice” and want to know what happened to their little boy. It says the sister and grandfather were THERE. Seems like a straight forward 8 yr old on a snowmobile on private property and something went terribly wrong.

6065BE41-4CE8-45C0-BEA4-9A3A15ABA3C1.png

E7642D32-58AA-4EDE-8D8A-EC2C3C6AD137.png

3F48D736-3D70-402E-9474-75D509E4119E.png

D03489AD-7B15-4DE0-BFB3-65F92EC18C77.png

1 hour ago, GSX800 said:

Rode Tug Hill yesterday morning for 2 hours.  Had to have passed 150 - 200 sleds.  Spent the morning creeping around corners on the extreme right.  Thinking the whole time there will be accidents today.  Condolences to the loved ones.

Canada Covid tests have kept a lot of people home and a lack of snow has many people riding a small area with tight twisty small trails… a lot of traffic… and not a lot of snow… and the corners are solid ice… not a good combination… Tug Hill has too much traffic under normal conditions… it’s out of control this year… with global warming… it’s going to get worse… northern Quebec is looking better every year

This year is especially bad for people riding on the wrong side of the trail. Reason...   there is a huge influx of new riders to the sport. Everything is up, sled sales to permit holders are through the roof.

Its going to have to come to the point where driver training will be required, which is ridiculous when you think about it because at least in Qc and Ont you require a Drivers Permit to operate a sled.

47 minutes ago, Fozzy said:

Its going to have to come to the point where driver training will be required, which is ridiculous when you think about it because at least in Qc and Ont you require a Drivers Permit to operate a sled.

We have mandatory driver training in Nova Scotia for new sled owners and operators.  In theroy driver training should help, but on trails is doesn't seem to.

first thing I have seen accidents at high speeds and the snowmobile were not tore up that bad.  both sleds doing 100mph?  second thing from my riding this year is I have noticed more people riding left In groups when trying to pass from behind.  I finally was able to talk to one group that spoke English and the led guy has a communicator telling about oncoming traffic.   so when coming from behind these guys are all over the place thinking there safe.  I'm sure my passes on the right in a straight away pissed some off but what the he**

On 3/4/2022 at 10:18 PM, snowmaster2112 said:

I would have NEVER made it this far unscathed if not for ALWAYS thinking about the other guy and what lies just over that hill or corner. 

My heart goes out to the local guy in Canadaigua near my home. It was obviously a horrific crash and over real quick. May God rest their souls and peace upon their families. 

Raising generations of kids who respect themselves is hard enough for me to imagine (without offspring of our own), but burying them because of someone else's disrespect is impossible for me to get my brain around. 

Fortunately this forum attracts folks who take the 2 words "Keep Right" to heart in more ways than one. Keeping our sh*t on our side of the "double-yellow" is just table stakes.  Thanks all for keeping right on and off the trail.

Keep Right!.jpg

2 hours ago, Fozzy said:

This year is especially bad for people riding on the wrong side of the trail. Reason...   there is a huge influx of new riders to the sport. Everything is up, sled sales to permit holders are through the roof.

I've introduced LOTS of Newbies to sledding Quebec over the past 22 years (I know, I'm a Newbie to some of you), and showing these horrible threads to any that we bring to the sport we love can be an important part of orientation.

Most popular Newbie question: "How fast do these things go?"...

My answer: "The only thing that can f#ck you up on these is too much speed, and we build it up quickly. So your pace should be determined by your ability to safely keep on your side of the imaginary double-yellow line.  Especially in turns, and that goes double for left turns, so shed your speed before the turns, and many come up quickly, then be on the lookout for yahoos who didn't have this chat today"  

Then like it's been said here, the lead duck sets the pace, on smart speed and keep-right tracking. Thanks again to all here who are excellent lead ducks.  Doesn't guarantee surviving, but hopefully increases the odds.

I'm getting ready to go riding in Quebec in a week...and even after all these years in the saddle...I have benefited from all the posts in this dialogue...it's hard to read and look at all these pictures, but also refreshing to understand how much we all can, and will benefit from the reminder  of our responsibility to each other while on the trail. I think everyone on here understands that, I really appreciate everyone's input here, a lot of great perspectives  on reality.

6 hours ago, Blueblood said:

first thing I have seen accidents at high speeds and the snowmobile were not tore up that bad.  both sleds doing 100mph?  second thing from my riding this year is I have noticed more people riding left In groups when trying to pass from behind.  I finally was able to talk to one group that spoke English and the led guy has a communicator telling about oncoming traffic.   so when coming from behind these guys are all over the place thinking there safe.  I'm sure my passes on the right in a straight away pissed some off but what the he**

I cant remember a season when I DIDN'T pass someone on the right. I only do so when it is 100% safe after intently studying the moron in front of me. And I could care less what they or their group thinks. This year I almost got the same guy twice in one day. I was about to pull the trigger and bagged it at the last second as the guy was just too erratic (probably after a couple pops at the Repos). If I had successfully passed him twice I was going to come to a full stop afterwards, walk up to him and say "dude you need some riding lessons" but unfortunately I didnt get the chance. 

1 hour ago, PMAC said:

Instead of showing the test rides and riding on left side in corners and saying it’s a closed course.

Funny/not-funny, those manufacturer's marketing videos showing the factory pilots ripping around corners on the left FREAK ME THE F*CK OUT!

Thanks for all the above posts. These accidents are always so tragic yet avoidable if trained properly. I also always think about the double yellow line down the middle of the trail. Every time I catch myself with my left ski on or over the yellow line I give myself a strike. I hate it if I get one strike in a total days ride. Two strikes & it’s time to slow down & start practicing and reinforcing all my good riding skills. I taught all 3 of my kids the same thing. Also my right ski must be at the right berm on every right hand turn! Everyone cheats a little bit on left-hand turns. They are more difficult to make staying on your side of the trail. My right hand turn is the oncoming persons left hand turns. If I’m not hugging the right berm on my right turns & we know the person coming and making the left turn is cheating then Houston we have a problem!  I can’t tell you how much damage on the right side from scratches from tree branches and broken right mirrors I’ve had on my sleds over the years. That’s because I try to keep my right ski at the right edge as much as I am humanly possibly capable of. That not only goes for right turns but for all my riding. 

Edited by Florida Snowman

9 hours ago, Blueblood said:

Yeah I've heard of this.  It's BS too.  What happens when the signal gets blocked by a hill or the battery fails?  

I'm sending these pics to Mini's Dad to try and impress these things into Mini for the trip next weekend in Maine.

He does great in the local stuff, I'm hoping for an uneventful long weekend......

And plenty of Steak Eating!

Stay Safe 

GutZ

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_03/Mason-Spring-Training.thumb.jpg.c06da45c72de61a335b8cbc714768ab1.jpg

It’s too bad they couldn’t make all trails like this, that way you would not have to imagine the yellow line.  I have heard some say they don’t like the snow median, I figure it’s because they can’t hog the middle.

A0D73F4F-F993-4D4E-9BE7-A794DD45609E.jpeg

13 hours ago, MrGutz said:

I'm sending these pics to Mini's Dad to try and impress these things into Mini for the trip next weekend in Maine.

He does great in the local stuff, I'm hoping for an uneventful long weekend......

And plenty of Steak Eating!

Stay Safe 

GutZ

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_03/Mason-Spring-Training.thumb.jpg.c06da45c72de61a335b8cbc714768ab1.jpg

Don

Have a safe ride with Mini and train him well!

Teach him that you never know when a Sled/Deer or a hard left pops into his view . and he needs to be able to stop.

Also teach him he does not need to be a Speed Racer!

John

13 hours ago, Je me souviens said:

It’s too bad they couldn’t make all trails like this, that way you would not have to imagine the yellow line.  I have heard some say they don’t like the snow median, I figure it’s because they can’t hog the middle.

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_03/A0D73F4F-F993-4D4E-9BE7-A794DD45609E.thumb.jpeg.6cdd259102e22ae9482b3c0e44fd2b49.jpeg

Even on this trail EVERYONE has there left ski against the bank….seems like nobody can get close enough to the middle… wtf??

41 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

Even on this trail EVERYONE has there left ski against the bank….seems like nobody can get close enough to the middle… wtf??

This may sound strange but I find that right hand corners are so much easier for me then left. My sled seems to stick better with the left ski than the right.  I just slow down to a crawl to be safe and I don't care how far I get behind.  I have adjusted the pressure on the ski and don't feel safe so there for it takes me longer to make a left hand turn.  

7 hours ago, Shore1066 said:

This may sound strange but I find that right hand corners are so much easier for me then left. My sled seems to stick better with the left ski than the right.  I just slow down to a crawl to be safe and I don't care how far I get behind.  I have adjusted the pressure on the ski and don't feel safe so there for it takes me longer to make a left hand turn.  

Always been exactly the same for me. I attribute it to not being able to shift your weight and lean as easily on your left side. Well, thats the way it is for me at least.

I can get the same result as a right but have to work harder at it.