Speeding

iceman

Heavy speeding: fines of more than than $2360 for two Americans

Friday, 4 March 2022 04:05
 UPDATE Friday, 4 March 2022 04:05
 Two American snowmobilers aged in their fifties have been fined hefty for excessive speeding in Nord-du-Québec.
 The two in their fifties were intercepted by a police officer from the Lebel-sur-Quévillon station on Wednesday on a federated trail near Route 113, in the Baie-James sector, said the Sûreté du Québec (SQ).

The first snowmobiler received a $1,546 ticket for traveling at 150 km/h in a 70 km/h zone, while the second was caught speeding 121 km/h, an offense that earned him 817  $ Fine.
 "These police presences aim to intervene with snowmobilers who have behaviors that compromise the safety of other users on the trails," said the SQ in a press release.

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2022/03/04/grand-exces-de-vitesse-amendes-de-plus-de-2360--pour-deux-motoneigistes-americains?fbclid=IwAR0jKsdGaErAiwlAtC7kophbqMzuxFNNa6qlShObZcm-hhaHP5Y1L4FxCUs

12 minutes ago, iceman said:

Heavy speeding: fines of more than than $2360 for two Americans

Friday, 4 March 2022 04:05
 UPDATE Friday, 4 March 2022 04:05
 Two American snowmobilers aged in their fifties have been fined hefty for excessive speeding in Nord-du-Québec.
 The two in their fifties were intercepted by a police officer from the Lebel-sur-Quévillon station on Wednesday on a federated trail near Route 113, in the Baie-James sector, said the Sûreté du Québec (SQ).

The first snowmobiler received a $1,546 ticket for traveling at 150 km/h in a 70 km/h zone, while the second was caught speeding 121 km/h, an offense that earned him 817  $ Fine.
 "These police presences aim to intervene with snowmobilers who have behaviors that compromise the safety of other users on the trails," said the SQ in a press release.

https://www.journaldemontreal.com/2022/03/04/grand-exces-de-vitesse-amendes-de-plus-de-2360--pour-deux-motoneigistes-americains?fbclid=IwAR0jKsdGaErAiwlAtC7kophbqMzuxFNNa6qlShObZcm-hhaHP5Y1L4FxCUs

Don, if they caught us on your river yesterday, we probably would be in jail today. In 20 years of riding up there I have never seen it so flat from Richards to the 23 crossing.

18 minutes ago, 800steve said:

Don, if they caught us on your river yesterday, we probably would be in jail today. In 20 years of riding up there I have never seen it so flat from Richards to the 23 crossing.

LOL

call me I will bail you out.

yes river has been great. I rode it 3 times in two weeks. Usually I would not do it more than once a year. 

Ouch!  We all roll along at one time or another or maybe more often.  That is a big fine.  I wonder if the next time they come to Quebec, if they will get turned around?  I'm sure there is going to be a record of the arrest on Quebec's motor vehicle file.

Jack & Sandi

3 years ago, I was ticketed $250 for riding thru St. Joseph de mechenac with out my chin strap buckled. We had just stopped for a  break a minute earlier and were headed into the village at about 10 mph. heading for a resteraunt.

Im an old man, and not a super fast rider, but I try to hit 100 mph every day for a few seconds where its wide open and safe.

So far I havent been caught....

250 for a chin strap… no warning from this guy….guys on the wrong side of the trail are a big issue… so is a power hungry cop nailing you 250 for that… I really love the bush… bet that doesn’t happen much at Gouin Reservoir 

Knock some wood

the only time we been stopped for speed was at east spur to Gouin on 83 in the bush. Cops hiding just on spur to Gouin right by the sign for Gouin Outfitters. 

Pleaded our case that we were in the bush give us a break and he had me at 130km the others he said over 120km but I had slowed as I saw something not right near the intersection. One good cop one go getter. Ended up getting a warning for my plate only. He said my boot was blocking clear view of my plate on tunnel. 

I wonder what they booked them for besides speeding.  In looking at the act the 121 km should have been a $380 fine.  Doubled if second offense.  Am I missing something?

117. Any person who, in contravention of section 36 or 39, operates an off-highway vehicle or a maintenance vehicle at a speed in excess of the prescribed maximum speed is guilty of an offence and is liable to a fine of $30 plus,

(1)  if the speed exceeds the speed limit by 1 to 20 km/h, $15 for each 5 km/h by which the speed exceeds the speed limit;

(2)  if the speed exceeds the speed limit by 21 to 30 km/h, $20 for each 5 km/h by which the speed exceeds the speed limit;

(3)  if the speed exceeds the speed limit by 31 to 45 km/h, $25 for each 5 km/h by which the speed exceeds the speed limit;

(4)  if the speed exceeds the speed limit by 46 to 60 km/h, $30 for each 5 km/h by which the speed exceeds the speed limit; or

(5)  if the speed exceeds the speed limit by 61 km/h or more, $35 for each 5 km/h by which the speed exceeds the speed limit.

If the speeding offence occurs at a location where the maximum prescribed speed is 30 km/h or less, the amounts specified in the first paragraph are increased by $5.

2020, c. 26, s. 117.

51 minutes ago, Pipeman said:

Was wondering where ya been all winter Wes

hope you guys had a blast

1 hour ago, iceman said:

Knock some wood

the only time we been stopped for speed was at east spur to Gouin on 83 in the bush. Cops hiding just on spur to Gouin right by the sign for Gouin Outfitters. 

Pleaded our case that we were in the bush give us a break and he had me at 130km the others he said over 120km but I had slowed as I saw something not right near the intersection. One good cop one go getter. Ended up getting a warning for my plate only. He said my boot was blocking clear view of my plate on tunnel. 

That is almost incomprehensible to me up there. I haven’t seen a cop within 30 miles of there EVER 

just goes to show you that “ya never know”

5 minutes ago, snowmaster2112 said:

That is almost incomprehensible to me up there. I haven’t seen a cop within 30 miles of there EVER 

just goes to show you that “ya never know”

I asked them where they came from.

they were out of La Tuque on a weekend patrol slept at Gouin Saturday night and headed back to truck parked at Relais 22 if I remember correctly.

This is where they nailed them where my mouse pointer is aiming. Had a Vermont buddy and crew go through there today and they could see where they were.

A WARNING if anyone knows someone travelling by there in the next couple weeks. I'm sure they need a couple more bucks for that big Surete du Quebec summer clam bake.

unnamed.jpg

20 hours ago, snowmaster2112 said:

I'm sure they need a couple more bucks for that big Surete du Quebec summer clam bake.

So if caught we should offer to buy a couple tickets to the upcoming clam bake... wink wink, nod nod.... 

Gotcha! I see how this works....

GutZ

On 3/7/2022 at 6:52 PM, snowmaster2112 said:

This is where they nailed them where my mouse pointer is aiming. Had a Vermont buddy and crew go through there today and they could see where they were.

A WARNING if anyone knows someone travelling by there in the next couple weeks. I'm sure they need a couple more bucks for that big Surete du Quebec summer clam bake.

http://quebecrider.com/forums/uploads/monthly_2022_03/unnamed.thumb.jpg.5ce228ddbef59db440fad89536b3a32b.jpg

So being that you ride & know this area well, what would be a reference point or mileage point to look at if we're coming south? We are leaving Friday am from Louvicourt to Relasis 22 and then off to Chibougamau for Saturday night and will be running down Sunday. Being these are highways we might just be going over the speed limit, can't confirm or deny this of course. As i am the lead dog would like to avoid contributing to their clam bake. As such my sled is not available for loan this weekend. If my spring order a arrived I could help on the needed sled but alas using mine this weekend.

Thanks Mike

7 minutes ago, doo4adoo said:

So being that you ride & know this area well, what would be a reference point or mileage point to look at if we're coming south? We are leaving Friday am from Louvicourt to Relasis 22 and then off to Chibougamau for Saturday night and will be running down Sunday. Being these are highways we might just be going over the speed limit, can't confirm or deny this of course. As i am the lead dog would like to avoid contributing to their clam bake. As such my sled is not available for loan this weekend. If my spring order a arrived I could help on the needed sled but alas using mine this weekend.

Thanks Mike

The guys up outside of Le-Bel-sur Quevillon that got busted could have been a “one off”  and my guess is you won’t have any trouble. But just like anywhere else you never know where a patrol might show up. As stated you guys will be coming through on Sunday. For 70 miles south of Chapais you have literally nothing or (a few) road crossings all the way to the depanneur/gas in Desmairsville. And that trail is a 1km feeder up to the rt 113 rd. Then 20 miles south of there you pass thru Miquelon (don’t blink) but that is Indian territory and have never heard of the cops being there. From there you have another 42 miles or so into Lebel-Sur. That’s where I would be concerned (north of Lebel-Sur) as they obviously found a sweet spot to sit near the road. Now there are some 2-3 ??? road crossings on that entire run but I can’t remember exactly where and they were not the 113 main road. One has a house and garage near the crossing.