March 12-16th Gaspe New Brunswick trip

zeusand

Sorry for the late post . Quebec Bob, myself and my friend Terry from Plattsburgh New York had an epic trip. I'll let Quebec Bob fill you in on all the details but here are some photos...

Pointe a La Croix Quebec looking out at Campbellton New Brunswick

20220313_100623.jpg

20220313_100605.jpg

after almost 2 seasons on the side lines having last left Quebec in late March at the start of the lock down, facing the possibility of not riding Quebec trails for the first time in decades, I get a call from Zeusand (Stan) with an offer to pick me up on his way from just outside NYC, mad dash to get tested, registered, and 2 15 hour days at the shop, I got into his suburban with my trailer and our sleds in tow , now a mad rush to RDL Universal...to meet Terry from Plattsburg NY. What could possibly go wrong...how about a monster snow storm starting at 12 noon...many accidents and slow going on Q20....we finally landed at our rooms ay 11:20 pm...this is going to be tough...we want to be on the trail early after our 12 hour ride in. We managed to get on the trail at 8 am...maybe 8 to 10 inches on the ground and snowing...but we are going for it, off to Moose Valley...for lunch!! Well the foot of snow we left behind us is considerably more when we got there.....trail are drifting ..some places are 2 ft deep but we have an expy extreme 850...and we will continue on breaking trail!!! It's starting to get serious , the weather, and no sign of letting up, and the wind is tough....so we take our first big chance...everyone is sitting tight...we leave Moose Valley headed toward Cambleton...FEARLESS...we decide to take a local one track wide trail inside Moose Valley interior woods towards Kedgewick with the thoughts that there would be a lot less wind in the woods...there was but we were now breaking trail in 2 ft of pow...pretty cool ,albiet Stan wasn't so sure...we had 3 different GPS and all had features the others did not...it looked to be about 50 miles....now the fun starts as trees are hanging low and we are constantly going around them. A couple hours later the trail ends at a parking spot at the end of a road.....OK.....all is good...a few miles and we hook up with the trail...see Stan..these GPS'S are great..it's dark and he isn't laughing...anybody can go on the groomed trails!! Soon we are on the normal passage headed for Cambleton where we have reservations at the Quality at the bridge, it's still snowing!! We come over the mountain top to the beautiful glow of the night lights, get fuel and oil...and wonder where to get the trail to the hotel....it's 11 PM...we decide to drive it in on the empty city street...pretty cool...there is a lot of snow on them , it's late...and it looks like complete lock down..except for us, we obeyed the signs and lights..landed at the hotel at 11:15 pm...310 miles of breaking trail...no dinner...we are tired...everyone sleeps well and we meet for breakfast at 7:30am.....still very intent in not letting this storm change out trip plan......epic day in the books...to be continued!!

Breakfast is marginal continental...but coffee and juice are good...all of us are a bit tired but on schedule , off to Murdochville for our next night...we call Mundles towing to get us over the bridge...it's Sunday morning...we tip the driver...he is a nice guy who works a long hard week...and drops us off in a parking lot right at the trail...we have no idea what is in front of us and didn't even check the map for grooming...what does it matter...not like we have a lot of choices...off we go. Heading toward Carelton and New Richmond....lots of snow...no groomed trails...a few moose and deer...things are going pretty good and we land in New Richmond for lunch and fuel...we are all feeling really good about our progress given the weather....and the wind is going pretty good....so off we go to LaCache ...3 minutes out we have to cross a sloped field.....not good...maybe a 25 foot drift all the way across the field...Stan goes first and gets burried ....we spend the next 35 minutes getting him out....conveniently the ski doo 1200 reverse decides it's done working....really great...I break a trail across the field and come back then all 3 of us continue on towards the 595...the going is getting very tough...we are absolutely the only one riding at this point...as a matter of fact we are on our 2 day and have only passed a sled or two...we are breaking trail to LaCache on the 595....alone for sure...we now are starting to realize this is getting a little serious. The conditions have now taken a major turn for the worse and this area has received a lot of snow and the wind is howling...drifts are now commonly well over 10 ft and when the sled in front of you goes over one he disappears...we are now being careful and actually trying to pick the trail and where we are going...most of the stakes are burried and some of the drifts are 2 and 300 yards long. I'm trying to think we are not in trouble and things are ok...we are doing plenty of getting stuck , digging and towing...we now realize we couldn't make it without the expedition extreme...we are double and once triple on the running board side hilling sleds over drifts...becoming very technical....one soft spot there goes the ski...and sled is tipped over or tumbling down...but we continue on.We arrive at Lacache about 4:20 pm...it looks closed...WTF....Houston we have a problem. I walk over and the door is unlocked...but no vehicles around...nobody...a guy comes out ...Ryan...and asked where I came from.....I said we are riding...we came up the 595....he cannot believe it....we are THE ONLY CUSTOMERS ALL DAY......he cannot believe we made it all the local roads are closed from drifting...he said AN AVERAGE DAY IS 6 TO 7 THOUSAND AND WE ARE ABSOLUTELY THE ONLY ONES HE HAS SEEN SINCE YESTERDAY AM, 2 FULL DAYS....we know we are done for the day and we end up staying...he shows us the generator and battery set up that runs the place and the solar system in the cellar....we use the laundry...he's just watching the place and giving the regulars a break....he's not a cook but we get burgers and dogs and eggs and bacon in the morning...we sleep well.....another epic day...all is good....these folks are some of the very nicest people I have ever met in Quebec...like family...we tip them well....to be continued...2 incredible days in the books....

43 minutes ago, quebec bob said:

these folks are some of the very nicest people I have ever met in Quebec...like family...we tip them well..

La Cache has great people...never stayed but I had the grand tour and I will stay there at some point. They got big plans to expand that will be quite a place when they get it done. Nothing like it. Strategically place where it is it will continue to do well.

Awesome report thanks for sharing.

what a trip so far...

There is a reason you were the only sleds to go to La Cache in that storm. You were the only ones crazy enough within riding distance of La Cache.

if its snowing bad in New Richmond, double that and that’s how hard its snowing up the 595. 

What an adventure. My PSRD (post ride stress disorder) is being triggered.

8 hours ago, iceman said:

Awesome report thanks for sharing.

what a trip so far...

There is a reason you were the only sleds to go to La Cache in that storm. You were the only ones crazy enough within riding distance of La Cache.

if its snowing bad in New Richmond, double that and that’s how hard its snowing up the 595. 

What an adventure. My PSRD (post ride stress disorder) is being triggered.

Note to self... 2 feet of snow w/50 mile an hour winds... stay at the bar and get drunk all day. 

Just now, zeusand said:

This is the half of million dollar solar system at Relais La Cashe mostly subsidized by the government. Because they are a much-needed gas stop/ emergency shelter.

Such a big system because of the gas pumps and their eventual expansion.