March 12-16th Gaspe New Brunswick trip

zeusand

Great trip and report Stan and Bob. We just missed you as we finished the day you started at Universal. We rode thru 3 storms on our 7 day trip. All your great pics are same as ours lol. We even ate at the purple place in your pics. One of our group brought a "Snow Bungie" along and it saved our asses multiple times. Never used one before but they make getting a buried sled out a breeze. 

Edited by Snobeeler

8 minutes ago, Snobeeler said:

Great trip and report Stan and Bob. We just missed you as we finished the day you started at Universal. We rode thru 3 storms on our 7 day trip. All your great pics are same as ours lol. We even ate at the purple place in your pics. One of our group brought a "Snow Bungie" along and it saved our asses multiple times. Never used one before but they make getting a buried sled out a breeze. 

Yup we used our bungee, rope and shovel a lot

We just missed you too Bob.  We broke trail from New Richmond to Point a la Croix Sunday.  They really get confused in the Gaspe about what snow flurries are.  Enjoy the rest of your trip.  Keep us updated on your ride adventures. 

so on to day 3...we are feeling pretty good about our position so far...getting thru New Brunswick and the 595 to LaCache...we got a great nights sleep and breakfast, sleds are fueled and oiled and we decide to take the interior trail east of LaCache to Murdochville. Off we go . things are still not groomed but it's day 3.....and we are still breaking trail...this trail has a lot of snow and drifting but we have become use to it after 550 miles...no big deal and we are soon at the half way point...where things are getting interesting and the snow pack is considerably more than we have yet encountered...drifts are now 10 to 15 feet high and the wind is ferocious, getting hard to pick the trail and we are climbing to the 3/4 mark....we are feeling reasonably confident we can make it to the top where it will be down hill to Murdochville. The trees are now mostly covered and the snow is approaching 15 feet or so and the closer we get to the top the harder it's blowing and the drifts are on steroids, but we make it...we look behind and you cannot see that anyone has been there...literally a couple minutes to fill in our tracks......we are trying to figure out this last half mile down a little then over the last hill.It's a very imposing half mile, a few 20 foot drifts going slightly down, then maybe a 30 footer that shows a passage on the left and we are not really sure about the last couple so we take pics and blow them up...it doesn't look good the last 2 are maybe 40 to 50 feet and the one on the top is curling back towards us and only showing a little relief on the left side...we need snow shoes now to walk in and see the density of the snow because we don't want to bury the sleds and shovel for the rest of the day...we are 3 hours in....@#$%&!!.....after careful consideration....we agree that it is beyond are ability....back to LaCache for lunch...wen arrive and tell them not to let anyone go that way...we figure the groomer will never be able to do it either...and we were right...they did not get as far as we did...we were so close!! We even got stuck a few times after we turned around...white knuckles for sure it felt good to be safely down from there.After lunch we headed up the 595 figuring we finally make it to Murdochville...3/4 of the way we hit a wall of snow, maybe 5 to 6 feet of pow....the terrain was very doable...the skis were staying on top, but even the 154 by 20 was trenching 4 to 5 feet.....too much snow!!! We took turns with the shovel and....WENT BACK TO LACACHE!! Regrouped, fuel and oil...we are not done.... back down the 595 to Hotel Francis...it's still not groomed and we help out a group that is stuck. We went into town for a 10 pm dinner...we are now specializing in 14 hour days...tomorrow we will go east and north on 597 and get to Hotel Copper for lunch...we will get to Murdochville. We got out on the trail by 8 AM and it is now open...open...maybe the tractor and blade...open not groomed...but much better than we have seen so far...we make better time today and arrive at Murdochville about 130 ish, get fuel and oil and run down to Copper...to find out they are closed for breakfast and lunch...no one will come back to work...only open for dinner limited hours...2 days to get here....@#^&*$!!...back to the gas station for junk food and coffee and juice.The day is starting to wear on us..but we have many more miles to get to Hotel-n-Cie. Off we go and the trail is pretty good maybe a 7...feels like a 10 after the last 3 days.We stop in St Louis about 4 pm for a sandwich...eating inside like normal people...does this feel right?? Now it's heading toward dark and we are use to this, almost full moon, stars are out maybe 5 degrees f....the sleds are running nice in the crisp air...and we are settled in for the ride. About 730 2 moose charge out on the right and Stan just misses hitting them as he drives by, I have to lock down sideways to stop maybe 10 feet from them and Terry pulls up./..Stan is clueless and keeps driving ...he has no idea what has happened.....Terry and I are very lucky and the moose start walking away down the trail....we wait 5 minutes and start going at clutch engagement...catching up to the moose in about a mile...they run off the trail on the left 15 feet and turn to charge us...we are in reverse flashing our lights...not good they are within 5 feet and they turn to go back down the trail...we wait again then start down the trail and find Stan sitting in the trail back to us waiting and we scream, he turns around and the moose are on top of him and he takes off...so close!!! Terry and I are watching and they charge us and at about 5 feet run off the trail to the right of us and we have a split second to get by before they come back on the trail....very scary stuff...these guys were maybe 1500 lbs. They were very aggressive and wanted to get off the trail but the snow was too deep...we coast in to Hotel-N- Cie at 845 pm...330 miles to find the restaurant closed and the store across the street closing at 9.....no dinner....3 beers only...1 each....what a day...to be continued!!

our last day had us eating room service delivered breakfast at Hotel-N-Cie...delivered at 7:30 am.....coffee and juice and....some kind of a breakfast rap.....kind of like sea rations....barely edible...did not go over so well after not getting dinner....people have to go back to work....this has to be embarrassing for these places....we are on the trail by 8:30 and they are groomed...starting to feel like the Quebec we know and love....but there is nothing you can do about the weather. We take turns leading and carving corners like Emerson  Fitipaldi 's formula 1 car, putting the miles down this morning.....kind of mundane though as all the unforeseen excitement is now behind us in the mountains.We arrive in Matane early afternoon and go to the Polaris dealer to get Terry some oil, then things really look up...we go to St Hubert for an indoor sit down meal!! 200 miles left to coast into RDL....of course we ride into the dark and arrive at 7:45 pm. The last 20 miles the snow is soft and brown at street crossings, the parking lot is bare at Universal....and it is down to the last 2 weeks here for sure....but another month in the mountains. We had a great trip and the sport is well in tact after nearly 2 seasons, Terry turned 70 on our trip.....you would never know it, rides like 50, and he brought a lot of common sense and talent to our ride, Stan sports 30 years in Quebec and we definitely relied on all that to get us thru where most everyone else stopped. Terry was on his first ride with a 2023 XCR 650 Indy...I got to ride it for quite some time....Polaris has raised the bar with this Matrix chassis and 650 engine, best handling sled I've ever ridden straight out of the factory...and it is incredibly easy on oil, less than half what my 850 uses and hold 1 more gallon of fuel.Only trouble on the whole trip was the reverse on the 1200 ski doo not wanting to work...big Suprise there....It was great to get back to what we all love and see old friends, lets hope it continues to reopen and we can all look forward to a great season next year, and for all those folks who let all this stuff prevent them from crossing the border....don't let it stop you....get yourself over the border and ride the best trails in the world, happy trails, Bob.

On 3/20/2022 at 11:54 PM, iceman said:

La Cache has great people...never stayed but I had the grand tour and I will stay there at some point. They got big plans to expand that will be quite a place when they get it done. Nothing like it. Strategically place where it is it will continue to do well

Pierre of Garage Leon Coulombe & fils in Mont-St-Pierre shared they are proposing a new trail to the FCMQ from MSP to La Cache.

On 3/20/2022 at 11:07 PM, quebec bob said:

we are now being careful and actually trying to pick the trail and where we are going...most of the stakes are burried and some of the drifts are 2 and 300 yards long. I'm trying to think we are not in trouble and things are ok...

Not in trouble and things are ok...

Good thinking is mission-critical, and that's some good thinking right there!

Tuesday Continues 

We arrive in Mont St Pierre and bee line it to visit with Pierre. This guy is a true ambassador for Mont St Pierre and the entire region here. Very proud of their trail and like it to be enjoyed. Our joy brings them joy. Ya feel me? We talk and talk finally its time to go to Motel Le Delice we tell him to join us there for a beer. We arrive and meet Julie the owner since 2020 her Grandfather built this place and now she and her husband Patrick have taken over. Super friendly welcome and the restaurant has a big new bar it’s nicely done they have been working hard. Great english and did I mention friendly and welcoming. The restaurant is called Les Boucaneres Smokehouse. God damn home run here. Sign says Welcome Carnivores, like they knew we were coming i tell you. We convene the meeting in restaurant just the three of us here tonight with our guest Pierre and Julie herself spoiling us. We order up some smoked chicken wings and while we wait for those and our smoked beef brisket burgers. She brings out a plate of smoked duck breast. Wow just delicious goodness. 

To be continued 

7 hours ago, iceman said:

Tuesday Continues 

We arrive in Mont St Pierre and bee line it to visit with Pierre. This guy is a true ambassador for Mont St Pierre and the entire region here. Very proud of their trail and like it to be enjoyed. Our joy brings them joy. Ya feel me? We talk and talk finally its time to go to Motel Le Delice we tell him to join us there for a beer. We arrive and meet Julie the owner since 2020 her Grandfather built this place and now she and her husband Patrick have taken over. Super friendly welcome and the restaurant has a big new bar it’s nicely done they have been working hard. Great english and did I mention friendly and welcoming. The restaurant is called Les Boucaneres Smokehouse. God damn home run here. Sign says Welcome Carnivores, like they knew we were coming i tell you. We convene the meeting in restaurant just the three of us here tonight with our guest Pierre and Julie herself spoiling us. We order up some smoked chicken wings and while we wait for those and our smoked beef brisket burgers. She brings out a plate of smoked duck breast. Wow just delicious goodness. 

To be continued 

Sounds good, have to remember this spot for next year.  I was there last week, wish I had known.

Love Motel Le Delice.  Ice is right, a warm friendly atmosphere.  Back in 2011, we were there, finished dinner and back to our rooms to continue/finish happy hour, we hear a sled start up and a lot of hooting a hollering.  Look outside and there is a guy riding his sled around in the parking lot in a pair of boots and just his underpants. Lots of pictures being taken by his buddies.    I’m sure there was a bet, and some alcohol involved.  

12 hours ago, iceman said:

Tuesday Continues 

To be continued 

Sorry i posted this in the wrong thread. My bad.

Admin delete please. 

2 hours ago, GSX800 said:

Love Motel Le Delice.  Ice is right, a warm friendly atmosphere.  Back in 2011, we were there, finished dinner and back to our rooms to continue/finish happy hour, we hear a sled start up and a lot of hooting a hollering.  Look outside and there is a guy riding his sled around in the parking lot in a pair of boots and just his underpants. Lots of pictures being taken by his buddies.    I’m sure there was a bet, and some alcohol involved.  

It’s a different vibe now with Julie and Patrick, always been a good stop now they are stepping it up. New restaurant is fantastic and the remodels of resto and adding the bar it’s so nice.