Ender Spring Fling 22’

iceman

Wednesday Relive vid & pics coming right up!...  https://www.relive.cc/view/vXvL2dykg76

First day without flat light!  HALLELUJAH!  WE CAN SEE!  Praise Allah, Buddha, Moses & Jesus!

Technical nonsense out of the gate, but still loving life & embracing flexibility & a sense of humor!

What a difference a day makes when snowmobiling. All are good, all are different.

Welcomed the clear blue sky and sunshine to enjoy the awesome scenery here. And a change of visual and mental focus from just trying to find and stay on the trail in a blizzard to having fresh groomed trails with a bit of fluff on top, railing turns like being on an asphalt track the very next day.

The Skidoos stiffened rear spring settings working much better today, even with the bad center shock. Emptied the jerry can to reduce weight from the rear yesterday, and the chosen freshly groomed trails today also helped. Figured out a combination of throttle management to unload torque squat just before bigger bumps (or a small bump at speed that feels like a bigger bump :<) and sticking the right ski in the higher fluff to ride the left edge of the track adds a lot more more cushion when needed, working the suspension less. Good to go until we meet up with the new shock arriving in Amqui.

During supper, Mario (owner of Nanook) said the recent winds blew out the sea ice from where the boats are so crabbing season will commence about 2 weeks earlier than usual this year, focused off Isle De La Madelaine. Followed by Lobster.

Day four out into the wild 8:04 am. 5W

Moving down 595S   8:52

La Cache 10:42

Passing warming hut 12 noon, Ski park 12:30, New Richmond 1:00. Seaming like a sweet sail down 595 !

Passed carleton 2:42  heading to point  a la croix , hovering around Carleton  4:05. Exploring local orange loop probable layover Baie Blue. 6:07  now  all bets down.

Edited by Snohorse

On 3/21/2022 at 12:23 AM, iceman said:

But we got the band back together all three of us.  

If you are wondering what this means. Quest to satisfy their passion for sledding each residing in different areas of the north east NH, NY, MA-NYC. Not knowing one another. Over 20 years ago they answer a advertisement to sign up and ride the smoothest sled trails ever. It read come to Quebec CA. They all meet up and a few seasons latter ridding together graduate top of the class students of New England Bob snow tours !

24 March Thursday 

Breakfast at 7am in motel. Out and running just after 8am. Up out of town very hard trail frozen overnight. Near the 5 junction NHmoose says on radio he is smelling my hy-fax I stop and deploy the scratchers problem solved. 5 is groomed we head west for the 595. Racetrack down to 595. Slotcar handling it is wonderful and we are eating it up. Very fresh groom headed up 595 we have a discussion and decide this groomer is not far ahead. Sure thing. Beautiful trail but we soon catch the machine. We slide on by. It’s still fantastic he is grooming a very nicely groomed trail. We push on. No Moose sightings. Up further in the areas more open or recently logged we see why the groomer is headed this way. All blown in and one sled wide through 3-4’ drifts in places. This must be a full time job as the wind alone is filling the trail. Just the open areas are affected. The rest is super duper. Smooth run into La Cache. Gas and some quick small talk with Keeve and the ladies inside. 4 other sleds just left from Murdochville we talked to them said all good to Murdochville. No dice for us we are headed south down the 595. Two other sleds arrive from the south they say 12/10 headed to New Richmond. Really? We shall see. Trail from La Cache to junction with Murdoch trail best I ever seen it. We are loving it. It is excellent this trail. However not 12/10 as it has some drifted sections too but much less than the other side. I give it a solid 8 on 10 overall. Nice rip down to New Richmond like I said no moose but lots of Bambi as usual near New Richmond. Saw about 5 there along tge run into town. Trail has changed since I was last at Francis. Dedicated trail to Francis and trail to gas is further west on 5. Gas and go still headed west on 5. Nice trail here too definitely more icy than up in mountains and we cruise oer toward Carelton. We pass through Carelton and continue to junction with Local loop. We stop and make a call to verify shocks for NHmoose have landed in Amqui they are ready for us and will install them tomorrow when we arrive. Off we go up the beautiful local groomed this morning it’s swell. Icy but big wide and fast. Run up then trail to lookout. This trail not groomed in a few days for sure but we go anyway. First time i been up here. Pretty sweet view. Back down and we continue up to the top of the orange loop all Beautiful grromed. Loop down and back to the 5. Gas there Neuvllle(probably spelled wrong) long time since I been this way but suspended bridge by the gas is gone reroute of 5 all new to me. Gas it up and rocket back down to Carelton lots of Bambi near Carelton easily saw a dozen near turn to cross tracks to hotel.

Into Baie Blue. Saw a red fox too earlier. After 3 practice days we finally played a complete match. Solid miles today but it’s not about that at all. 

Nice dinner at the new improved and much bigger Pub St Joseph here. Been a few years since I stayed here. All good. Snowing nicely here.

Until next time

One of those great days when the speedo and tachometer got a serious and lengthy workout!

The lookout above Carleton is a must see, but don’t tell anyone or the trail in will become whooped out like the trail up to Redemption lookout :<)

C428ED5D-EC5D-41D3-8882-E13626F58AFF.jpeg

8DE25D2A-5CA8-4E74-AFC2-FCA7583C7BBC.jpeg

4E465C92-675D-4D7A-BDCC-2B24F18BA8FB.jpeg

1A608086-D6CE-416C-9886-BFF024B7929B.jpeg

88042EBB-37EC-424F-B9A6-E34869852F79.jpeg

97D38AA5-AEEB-45C8-B0D9-9E3963D9CB2D.jpeg

114BC541-66D2-49B6-B37C-701FBBB74109.jpeg

92576A57-646D-4AC7-9A59-4D109282220A.jpeg

C6561317-C144-4EE9-969F-CE962ADFAE9B.jpeg

FDCA442F-64A7-471F-AF64-09D5DF596931.jpeg

4F369F68-F647-4176-B1A2-C65B95553096.jpeg

2FE96000-3451-4EB8-AC6F-58E9F7490E1F.jpeg

Off to the races  Day 5  8:41 am. Headed 5W 

Arrived Amqui  @ 1:36.  Andre Halle BRP dealer for John's shock. Grommers family owned state of the art facility. Fantastic service help they provided to us over the many years of Touring. Thx

Thinking probably still in service shop 3:08 no movement.

Edited by Snohorse

hi all !!!

sorry if we missed .....just back on the computer  !!!

great pics ...thx for sharing .....

first pics  i see on my side at st fidele cb .....i feel almost  sad to see that the new operator ain t making a parking the way  i was doing it !!!

jean-guy

18 minutes ago, groomer said:

hi all !!!

first pics  i see on my side at st fidele cb .....i feel almost  sad to see that the new operator ain t making a parking the way  i was doing it !!!

jean-guy

Yep,

I noticed that also

Got electrical gremlins in my '18 XTX. Gave me a history lesson in non-power-steering. Been a while since the RX1-ton. Lucky there was a fresh few inches on the trail & more falling to make it easier!

Then the whole kit and kabootle went kaput. Lucky that was right near a road and Iceman Towing Ltd was present with a sister '18 XTX!  This stuff works, go get you some: 

14 hours ago, Snohorse said:

Andre Halle BRP dealer for John's shock. Groomers family owned state of the art facility. Fantastic service help they provided to us over the many years of Touring. Thx

Indeed, Jeremy in svc secured a buddy to camion '18 and me back to RDL tomorrow/Saturday.

While NH Moose & Iceman complete day-6 of this chapter properly, by trail, that's gotten a bunch more fresh all day & evening.

So, we'll be on schedule to get into position for Spring-Fling Chapter-Two!...

3 hours ago, groomer said:

Hey JG! We're sorry we missed too! Raincheck for bacon pizza!

We need to plan better! And stick to our plans when the universe allows it!

On trail photography, we've had excellent mentoring right here, so thank you! 

Sorry, can't critique the local surfacing, very distracted today.

But we can definitely say the bar has been set extremely high!

Salud!