Need Help Planning 2 Loops 1 4 Day and 1 7day

snowpromod

Hi,

WE just finalized our dates and requested the time off work - I know it is still August and hard to plan this far in advance, but we don't have a choice with our work schedule! Anyways, we are trying to come up with two loops for this year - any advice, routes, places to stay, places to avoid would be greatly appreciated. We live in Ohio and have rode the St. Donat area a handful of times!

Trip #1

Riding days (4) starting 1/20/09 - looking for 800 - 1100 miles

Trip#2

Riding Days (7) starting 2/28/09 - looking for 1400 - 2100 miles

-thought about the Gaspe (I keep reading mixed reviews, some say great and others say not so great)

As we all know mother nature will determine where we are able to go, hopefully I can get some good suggestions that allow for multiple options if the weather goes south in one area.

Thanks for the great site!! :drinks:

For January I suggest Northern Ontario along the Quebec border, awesome trails, fast and wide.

You can leave out of New Liskeard on the Ontario side or Temiscaming on the Quebec side. Easy 200 mile plus days.

If you leave out of New Liskeard head north to Cochrane, Smooth Rock, Timmins or even jump back into Quebec on 105, there are so many options.

Leaving out of Temiscaming again head north to Rouyn Noranda or Val d'Or. Last year drove up to Temiscaming and left around 10:30 am for Val d'Or, next day up to La Sarre, then back down to New Liskeard in Ontario and finally crossing back into Quebec and back to the truck. 688 miles.

I suggest you contact Abitibi-Temiscaming Tourism 1 800 808 0706 and get map info and the maps suggest loops.

Ontario, check out OFSC web site and TATA web site. http://www.tata-bestsnowmobiling.com/

Start planning. Kaz

Gaspe is a must do trip. Very snowmobile friendly. Plenty of places to stay along the route. Just the mileage your looking for. Plenty of snow later into the season, and relatively decent temps, as Quebec goes. I suggest starting in Riviere du Loop, (spelling?). Only area that might be questionable would be around Rimouski/Matane. The wind can drift the snow pretty good. Naturally, with this sport, you're at the mercy of Mother Nature. Check the websites faithfully leading up to your trip. Check with Groomer, he'll give you the latest. :good:

Another nice loop would be to leave from around Mt. Laurier, head over to the Abbitibi then up and over to Lac St. Jean. you can then make a decision to head up to Chibougamu, or down. Head towards Roberval, then back towards Mt. Laurier. I suggest starting south of Mt. Laurier. Mt. Laurier is not the safest town as far as theft. Just another option.

A good ride I did a couple years ago was St Georges de Beauce (sp), Montmagny, cross down to Campbellton, south side of the Gaspe, Perce, St Anne des Monts, Amqui and back down to St Georges. took us 4.5 days with only one afternoon playing around. Gotta watch the snow on the north side as it can get thin around Rimouski but take the trail inland of the coast and it piles up.

Another good one I did year before last was, bernieres Hotel in Saint Nicholas, up to Matane, cross Ferry to Baie Comeau, up to Jonquiere and back down to Shawinagin. Unfortunately my sled puked at Lac Edourd and I had a very expensive and adventurous ride to Shawinagin but it was a great trip. Took some trapper trails from the seaway up to Jonquiere, guys that have been on it know what I am talking about and rolled into Chappelle late at night. Got a bite and off to Jonquiere. Met a couple guys on the ferry and told them we would be in Jonq. that night and they laughed. Was just under a 400 mile day but very rewarding. I'll dig up some tracks if you want, I have most on GPS files so I can get accurate mileage. We tend to plan for smooth sailing but hardly ever find it. We do always have fun though.............First loop is 12-1500 miles depending on how you cut up the Gaspe and the second is around 1000-1150 depending.