From Derby VT around Gaspe and back to Derby!!

nowa

I am kicking around the idea of doing this trip in early february. I have spoken to people who have done it and they tell me it is around 2200 miles and takes about 10 to 12 days. I think they said heading out they rode to St. Georges on day 1 and Riviere du Loup on day 2 then on to Rimouski for day 3. Does anyone have a log of this trip with daily milage, where they stayed, cthings worth seeing or not? I have also heard february is not the best time. Any info would be appreciated!!If this doesnt pan out I am also thinking about heading to the HI from Derby and staying there for a few days then heading back to Vermont!! Anyone have any info on this trip?? I think I would stay south of the river and cross into Tadousac then on to Jonquierre. Thanks in advance. Jim :drinks:

I am kicking around the idea of doing this trip in early february. I have spoken to people who have done it and they tell me it is around 2200 miles and takes about 10 to 12 days. I think they said heading out they rode to St. Georges on day 1 and Riviere du Loup on day 2 then on to Rimouski for day 3. Does anyone have a log of this trip with daily milage, where they stayed, cthings worth seeing or not? I have also heard february is not the best time. Any info would be appreciated!!If this doesnt pan out I am also thinking about heading to the HI from Derby and staying there for a few days then heading back to Vermont!! Anyone have any info on this trip?? I think I would stay south of the river and cross into Tadousac then on to Jonquierre. Thanks in advance. Jim :drinks:

sounds like would be an awesome trip dont have much info on this but sure would like to do something like that myself.im sure someone on here has some info :good:

Do the Gaspe', if you have never been there you are in for a treat! I think they only problem with Feb. is it's crowded. We always go in March and it's been great. We leave our trucks in RDL the complete loop from there was about 1200 miles if I remember. :drinks:

I did a similar trip two years ago. Started in Columbia, NH and first night we stayed at Lac Phemonmook, or something like that, 390 miles the first day. Second night in Matane. Third night in Mt. St. Peirre. (Blizzard). Fourth night in Perce, Fifth night in Amqui. Sixth night in St. Georges 420 miles. Trip was 1800 miles total. Great trip. Plan on 8-9 days for lower mileage days.

My brothers want to leave from Home (Southwick,Ma) and do it!

The hardest part is Southwick to Tolland, oh well...

Later

Gutz

That would be quite an adventure!! I live in Ware and can get to N.H. through Belchertown on S.A.M. trails but I dont think I really want to!! :drinks:

Exactly... grind your sled for 4+ hours to get to SAM trails and then start riding.

Even if they started in the Berkshires, they'd be better off.

Gutz

Anything is possible...i don't think the trails in the berkshires are all that much better, at least the southern ones. It'd take a day or longer just to get to the vermont border from sandisfield, ma. not including any sled repairs on those bone riddled goat trails. Sure be a lot of fun trying though.

I've done it 3 times from St Georges in 4 days. Mileage varied between 1400-1500 depending on exact route. to do it in 4 days you are really humping but thats what we get for time off so we made the best of it. Day one St G to Degilis 250. Day 2 Degilis to Perce though New Brunswick 440 day 3 Perce to Rimouski 370 Day 4 back to St G 350 The 1st and last day for us was just flat riding very fast with no stops except for gas and food. We took trail 35 to make some great time. The 2 middle days especially day 3 we took our time and lots of pics. We usually skip the northeast corner and take trail 597 up the middle instead. It is fast at the south end and very senic middle north. The north shore is amazing for senery especially around Monts st Piere

I've done it 3 times from St Georges in 4 days. Mileage varied between 1400-1500 depending on exact route. to do it in 4 days you are really humping but thats what we get for time off so we made the best of it. Day one St G to Degilis 250. Day 2 Degilis to Perce though New Brunswick 440 day 3 Perce to Rimouski 370 Day 4 back to St G 350 The 1st and last day for us was just flat riding very fast with no stops except for gas and food. We took trail 35 to make some great time. The 2 middle days especially day 3 we took our time and lots of pics. We usually skip the northeast corner and take trail 597 up the middle instead. It is fast at the south end and very senic middle north. The north shore is amazing for senery especially around Monts st Piere

I have all winter off so time is not an issue. I think 200 miles a day would a fun trip!! Had 350+ days going to Holiday Inn and it wasnt bad but 4 or 5 days in a row would wear me out!! Thanks for the info!! :drinks:

Hi Nowa,

You're thinking smart. If you haven't been on a certain ride, it is better to stay conservative with the miles. Give yourself time to stop and read signs, enjoy the scenery, the food and even the trails. We like to put on miles but we enjoy the ride getting there. 200 miles a day is comfortable. A good day maybe more miles, a bad day maybe less. I think you're better off giving yourself a cushion on the mileage if you don't know the trails.

Jack

Hi Nowa,

You're thinking smart. If you haven't been on a certain ride, it is better to stay conservative with the miles. Give yourself time to stop and read signs, enjoy the scenery, the food and even the trails. We like to put on miles but we enjoy the ride getting there. 200 miles a day is comfortable. A good day maybe more miles, a bad day maybe less. I think you're better off giving yourself a cushion on the mileage if you don't know the trails.

Jack

Yeah, I would rather have days where Im done at 3pm than pulling in somewhere at 11pm all pissed off!!! Its supposed to be FUN, Right!!! :drinks:

• 2 weeks later...
Yeah, I would rather have days where Im done at 3pm than pulling in somewhere at 11pm all pissed off!!! Its supposed to be FUN, Right!!! :drinks:

Nowa,

One of the problems is the trails just north of the border are very lean. Not just snow wise but loss of trails in and around Sherbrooke, Coaticook, sawyerville.

Once you get north of say Weedon things open up.

I've done this trip several times from Morrisville (40 miles south of Derby) and it IS a fun time. From Derby it is ALWAYS quicker (time wise) to head through Thetford Mines and NOT through St-Georges. The good thing is if you need to make up time you can ride the old railbed 35 (the old 540) and really book thru.

I have notes somewhere from 2004 but things have changed even since then. New sleds are easier to ride 300plus per day. The first time I did this trip was in 94 on a new Polaris XLT Special. Can you say 4 inches of ride on Fox Shocks???? OUCH I lived on Tylenol and Molson all week.

Anyway from Morrisville: Day1) Montmagny-335 miles Day2) Rimouski-235 miles, short day. Day3) Chandler-300 miles. Day4) Chandler-Day trip to the rock and time with Dale & Patsy (NO Patsy this year though) 150 miles Day 5) Riviere-Du-Loupe-497 miles Day 6) Morrisville, VT.-493 miles.

One can break this trip up any way they want and this one just happened to be a two day marathon on the return trip. USUALLY we figure on 1800 miles in 8 days comfortably. Around 250/day $550 dollars in gas money on 600 SDI sleds. (in 2004 I spent $1100 in gas money-Polaris 800 drEdge)

Oh and we don't have great luck with Arctic Cat sleds. Usually figure on at least 1 breakdown even with a new sled.

Last year a kid from town here rode up to Lac St. Jean from here BY HIMSELF. Very Cool!

Someday we would like to try from the house here to Labrador City and back!

Nowa,

One of the problems is the trails just north of the border are very lean. Not just snow wise but loss of trails in and around Sherbrooke, Coaticook, sawyerville.

Once you get north of say Weedon things open up.

I've done this trip several times from Morrisville (40 miles south of Derby) and it IS a fun time. From Derby it is ALWAYS quicker (time wise) to head through Thetford Mines and NOT through St-Georges. The good thing is if you need to make up time you can ride the old railbed 35 (the old 540) and really book thru.

I have notes somewhere from 2004 but things have changed even since then. New sleds are easier to ride 300plus per day. The first time I did this trip was in 94 on a new Polaris XLT Special. Can you say 4 inches of ride on Fox Shocks???? OUCH I lived on Tylenol and Molson all week.

Anyway from Morrisville: Day1) Montmagny-335 miles Day2) Rimouski-235 miles, short day. Day3) Chandler-300 miles. Day4) Chandler-Day trip to the rock and time with Dale & Patsy (NO Patsy this year though) 150 miles Day 5) Riviere-Du-Loupe-497 miles Day 6) Morrisville, VT.-493 miles.

One can break this trip up any way they want and this one just happened to be a two day marathon on the return trip. USUALLY we figure on 1800 miles in 8 days comfortably. Around 250/day $550 dollars in gas money on 600 SDI sleds. (in 2004 I spent $1100 in gas money-Polaris 800 drEdge)

Oh and we don't have great luck with Arctic Cat sleds. Usually figure on at least 1 breakdown even with a new sled.

Last year a kid from town here rode up to Lac St. Jean from here BY HIMSELF. Very Cool!

Someday we would like to try from the house here to Labrador City and back!

I have found crossing the border at Beechers Falls into East Hereford eliminates some of the bare, windblown fields. I have gone as far as Lac Etchemin, Woburn and Jackman Maine for lunch and back to Derby but never saddlebagged further north from Derby(all 350+-miles). Im happy we will all be on XPs!!! No Cats!! Thanks for the milage and info I really appreciate it! Congrats on doing that trip on a 94 Polaris :drinks: !!!I always see old sleds and think back to when they were NEW and the best thing out there!! I remember when I started riding in Vermont the 89 Arctic cat Wildcat and the Polaris indy 650 being the hottest sleds out that year!!!

• 5 weeks later...

Just a reminder, don't forget about the weather. I have been out around the Gaspe leaving from most everywhere there is to leave from and seen some brutal weather. In a blizzard out there when the trail goes south you might as well find the nearest motel and call it a day. When the groomer has passed it is no problem finding the trail but put a foot or more of windblown snow on the ground and you can spend hours trying to find it. Stayed in Bonaventure for 2 days waiting for wx to clear (4 to 5 feet on the ground) and remember 1 other time we rode the road from Mont St Pierre to Capchat because the trail had 6 to 12 foot drifts. I always plan two extra days, 1 for wx and the other for a breakdown. More often than not we used them. Have fun!