St. Zenon to Valdor

newcountry

I am hoping someone can help! My son and I are planning to leave St. Zenon on Saturday and Head to Valdor. Can any help me map out a 4 day loop beginning in St. Zenon and returning to St. Zenon through Valdor including where to stay in route and returning along with estimated mileages! Unfortunately this is last minute due to Gaspe having no snow! Any help would be truly appeciated! Many thanks,

I am hoping someone can help! My son and I are planning to leave St. Zenon on Saturday and Head to Valdor. Can any help me map out a 4 day loop beginning in St. Zenon and returning to St. Zenon through Valdor including where to stay in route and returning along with estimated mileages! Unfortunately this is last minute due to Gaspe having no snow! Any help would be truly appeciated! Many thanks,

Check out PLAYHARDS reply in Shawinigan West post and that should give you an idea

Ask Iceman for particulars on a 4 day loop, maybe through 100 Lakes on the way back?

Here's detail on our loop, I hope some of it's helpful:

Day #1) Mont-Laurier, Comfort Inn, (819) 623-6465, information@comfortinn-ml.ca, www.comfortinn-montlaurier.com/: 222mi (gas @ Saint-Michel-des-Saints), Leave Shawini north, 23w, thru Cabanon to 63w

Day #2) Val-d'Or, Hotel Forestel, (800) 567-6599, (819) 825-5660, hotel@forestel.ca, www.forestel.ca, 260mi (gas @ Domaine/Verendrye/Kitcisakiwinik/Louvicourt), 13/63n-w, 386n, 83w

Day #3) Rouyn-Noranda, Le Noranda Gouverneur (866) 562-2341 hotel@lenoranda.com www.lenoranda.com: 110mi + 35mi each way to Ontario border & back on trail 93: 200mi, 83w, 93w-s

Day #4) Senneterre, Pourvoirie du Lac Faillon, (819) 737-4429, www.pourvoiriedulacfaillon.com, lacfaillon@xplornet.ca: 200mi (gas @ Val-d'Or), 83e, 386s to local back to 83e, or stay on 83 thru Senneterre for extra 32mi

Day #5) La Pourvoirie Barrage Gouin & Magnan, Carole & Jean Bordeleau, (877)-720-8900, (819) 666-2332, pourvoirie@barragegouin.com, www.barragegouin.com: 220mi (gas @ Clova), 83e, to local trail n

Day #6) Shawini!: 260mi (gas @ Kanawata, splash & dash @ Repo, & Mattawin)

83e, 345s, 360e, local trail down St Maurice river

Route: http://www.viaexplora.com/snowmobile/index

St.zenon to Clova night 1 (Hotel Tamerac) about 250 miles

Clova to Val d'Or night 2 (Forestel) about 225 miles

Val d'Or to Mount Laurier night 3 (Comfort Inn) about 300 miles

Mount Laurier to St.Zenon night 4 (your hotel) about 250 miles

Just my guestemite

Just go and worry about parking it at lunch

I love the sound of the free n easy thing, but it was scary how many people got turned away "into the cold" without reservations last week.

I guess it's easier with just 2 riders. I'd stick to booking your "plan A" as early as feasible, with lunchtime at the latest.

Especially since so may riders had to change up their plans and are now going to where the sow is (like yourselves!).

Trailblazer had a good route, and yes we really do recommende reserving in advance, because as playhard puts it you don't want to be turned around in the cold, however some people might of not been aware that last weekend 9-10 feb. was the free no trail pass fees weekend so as of thursday night the 8th all the hotels, and nooks and crannies had been book far in advance, most hotels will take all the reservations that they can when they can, so some times a little planning in advance gos a long way..... :lazy: to assure you get the accomadations you want. Also just to let you know we got snow in clova today so that will make our trails really great, Dave, Shannon and Chris came up from St Zennon yesterday and said the trails were really great, so you should have fun....see you soon,

snowhite :drinks:

A 4 day 1000 mile trip to Val-D'or is a good loop, done with experienced riders with a good plan. You wing it, and you have very little chance of a good outcome. What is the average miles you ride in a day? Saddle bag trips before? Biggest loop in the past?

You know your group, your skills and your sleds. Some are best suited to day trips out of Zenon. If you are more adventurous, the loops described above are perfect, and a ton of fun. You need to plan well, food, gas, lodging. Need to keep the group moving. Need to work with the weather and the conditions.

Mark.

post-464-0-60293100-1360614367_thumb.jpg

Again, thanks to all for the input....All riders (even my 16 year old son) are experienced, have done extended overnight loops in Gaspe, Lac St. Jean, etc....just never in this area....We are all riding "Fresh" Ski Doo 800's so hopefully all will go smoothly. My biggest issue at the moment is just have a clear understanding as to where to fuel up between St. Z and Clova...between Clova and Val D'Or and between Val D'or and Mount Laurier. Any further input on this would be most appreciated! All my best and many thanks to everyone that has weighed in on this post!!! Very helpful!

I'm not sure of your chosen route from St. Zenon to Clova, tell me which way you are going and I can tell you where to gas.

For sure to Clova on 83 is gas in Parent.

So at Clova you will gas and sleep.

Next gas Lake Faillon on 83 is a lodge with rooms gas and food.

Then gas in seneterre if you go in on the 83 or in Louvincourt at intesection 83/386 if you use the 386 trail.

Val d'or gas in town then

Gas in Louvincourt intersection of 83 and 386 right by the river crossing.

Now after that you have 2 choices

On the 386 you come to Kitchisakik(indian village) top off there and if you can make 120 miles if not then......

Once you turn left at the end of the 386 you are now on the 63 east. Not very far on the left there is a trail to Pavillion Lavendyre a lodge with gas food and rooms, note its like 7 miles down and then 7 miles back to 63.

Continue on 63 east you come to A gas right on the trail along the road called Le Domaine food also here.

Further down is another gas at the Classic a restaurant/gas right on trail.

Definately need the gas at Domaine From there you should make Mt Laurier no Problem.

Or just gas at Classic too if you want.

Edited by iceman

I'm not sure of your chosen route from St. Zenon to Clova, tell me which way you are going and I can tell you where to gas.

For sure to Clova on 83 is gas in Parent.

So at Clova you will gas and sleep.

Next gas Lake Faillon on 83 is a lodge with rooms gas and food.

Then gas in seneterre if you go in on the 83 or in Louvincourt at intesection 83/386 if you use the 386 trail.

Val d'or gas in town then

Gas in Louvincourt intersection of 83 and 386 right by the river crossing.

Now after that you have 2 choices

On the 386 you come to Kitchisakik(indian village) top off there and if you can make 120 miles if not then......

Once you turn left at the end of the 386 you are now on the 63 east. Not very far on the left there is a trail to Pavillion Lavendyre a lodge with gas food and rooms, note its like 7 miles down and then 7 miles back to 63.

Continue on 63 east you come to A gas right on the trail along the road called Le Domaine food also here.

Further down is another gas at the Classic a restaurant/gas right on trail.

Definately need the gas at Domaine From there you should make Mt Laurier no Problem.

Or just gas at Classic too if you want.

You can also top off at Balbuzard between Clova and Faillion just to be safe.

Edited by Pipeman

Currently our plan is to leave Lac Taureau early Sunday AM on the 33. We plan to follow the 33 to the 13 and then to the 83. Is this the most efficient and scenic route? Where is the best place on this route to stop for fuel and fuel on the way to Clova. We are all fairly experienced riders...how long a trip will this be...I think the mileage is about 225 correct?

I am pretty sure 33 has part that is closed for Logging between st michel and Lac Repos. Not sure but better check on that. Pretty sure you need to go on 345 or 360 then 33 at Lac Repos to 13. I'm sure someone else here has more info for that.

Last I heard from st michel (cabanon) to Lac Repos 345 or 360 were the only ways to go.

Currently our plan is to leave Lac Taureau early Sunday AM on the 33. We plan to follow the 33 to the 13 and then to the 83. Is this the most efficient and scenic route? Where is the best place on this route to stop for fuel and fuel on the way to Clova. We are all fairly experienced riders...how long a trip will this be...I think the mileage is about 225 correct?

Not a great plan .... 33 north from Zenon is no good this year . That part is closed for a logging operation .

33 has been ungroomed all year, making for slow going for 90 miles, (maybe that has changed in the past 2 weeks?). If you head over to 345-360-33-13-83, you are looking at 290 miles. Close the same going by Katawana to 83, but you will catch more of the nice going on 83.

You need to take 345 to Lac Repos then either up the 345 to Kanawata then to 83 and west, probably best way.

Or

345 to lac Repos then west on 33 to join up with 13.

From Lac Repos you have those two options.

From Lac Repos intersection of 345 and 33

Its almost 200 miles either way you go to Clova

Your looking at a 300 mile day from St Michel to Clova. Well real close to it anyway.

Can somebody give me a little clarification on 33 - we have 2 legs of our up coming trip using 33.

Leg 1 - Gouin - Kanawata - Auberge Lac Taureau - planned on coming down to 345/360/33 to Lac Taureau

Leg 2 - Auberge Lac Taureau - Rabaska - was looking to take 33/63/322

Are we good with this section of 33?

Yes you should be fine.

33 is closed between Lac Repos and the 360.

345 to 360 to 33 should get you there no problem

You can call Cabanon to confirm that is your best bet. Or ask Auberge Lac Taureau.

From Lac Repos intersection of 345 and 33

Its almost 200 miles either way you go to Clova

Your looking at a 300 mile day from St Michel to Clova. Well real close to it anyway.

Correct Iceman, just did Sunday Le Cabanon 345 to 83 286 miles. The last time I did that run I did 345 to 360 to 33 to 13 and then 83 it came out to 290 miles. The first route is the same miles but faster.