ATV trip Barrage Gouin, Casey, 100 Lacs

Trailblazer

Day 1

We departed home by truck up to Mt.Laurier Friday night instead of Saturday morning so as to get off to an earlier start, stayed at the Comfort Inn, comfy beds.

Sat morning drive up to Chutes Windigo and unload the bikes, we take the Cockanagog trail to Ste.Anne du Lac and fuel up with a little bit to eat at the Resto Tourist. Take the tour du Lake and forest road to Chemin Parent, ride up to the Hydro station take a little break and feed on some local wild fruit. Fuel up in Parent and ride up to Barrage Gouin where we were expected and pleasantly received. We were the only guests at the lodge for the night.

Edited by Trailblazer

Day 2

We get some info from Jean at Barrage Gouin to get down to Casey and the location of the Runway, big thanks to Jean it went real well navigating between forest roads sled trails and hunter trails.

This runway was a real treat to visit, it was built in 1947 and closed down in 1958, then in the '70's it was used to refill planes to spray the Pinetree line which was a risk because of a bug eating them. The last official activity was in '93 when two F18 fighter jets forced a plane to land there under the suspicion it was carrying illegal cargo, they found 3 tons of cocaine.

In the surrounding area there are several cement foundations, platforms and bunkers so the locals them. We were shown the location of one of them that is visited frequently by passer bys, real interesting. Then on to the town of Casey 9 klms away. Most of the houses in town surprisingly enough are occupied, you wouldn't say so passing through in the winter, summer homes and cottages I guess. We try to find a route on our gps's to 100 Lacs other than using the sled trail so we decide to stick to the sled trail down to Manaouin

We continue on to Kanawata for fuel and where we take a little break on the beach.

On wards to Manauoin for fuel and a decision where to stay and make our call, we decide to go back up to 100 Lacs taking some side line forest roads, 100 Lacs has new owners since Nov. 2014. We were the only guests again and were treated very well, 100 Lacs never lets you down. 7 day marinated Bavet de Bouef for supper, it was to die for.

Edited by Trailblazer

Day 3

The folks at 100 Lacs told us of a natural beach on Lac Odanis and how to get to it, nice little spot to camp out. They also told us that this coming winter they will be marking a trail down to Manouin via the lakes, they say it takes 45 minutes to ride there using their trail, it will not be a federation trail but a unofficial one with only the outfitter markings, look forward to trying it out this coming winter.

After visiting the beach we head back the same we came up taking a little detour to visit Devils Mountain and met up with a moose 50 feet in front of us on the trail, a few shaking moments there.

After loading up at Chutes Windigo we go for a little swim in the Chutes, very hot and humid, the swim was felt great.

A total of 900 klms for our 3 day ride.

hi jg !!!

great shots !!!

very lucky to take a ride like that !!! wish i could do that in the gaspesie !!!

strange to see sand by the lake.....no sand here on the z e c !!!

nice shot of the moose.....not sure if i know her !!! hhahaha

great shot of the 2 4w on top of hill with lake in the background !!!

packing and go for camp !!!

jean-guy :drinks:

Very nice report /trip JG ! :good:

Casey bunker's remains is a place I want to go in summer one on these... it's pretty hidden from what I heard and some sections are flooded but the underground construction is pretty huge, something out of the ordinary for sure!

thank's for sharing, enjoy your summer and take care :drinks:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks a lot guys....if by chance any of one of you would like to try something like that give me a ring.

JG, the lake behind the atv's is Reservoir Baskatong, we're parked at the Tour C.P. peak of Montagne Diable, you can get there by sled but the trail to the peak is not groomed.

Alain, the bunkers were a real treat to see, they were shown to us by some folks that have a cottage close by. I would've never found them on my own, way off the beaten path. They told me there are several of them in the surrounding area....you need to have time to explore as they are not easy to locate. Leaving from Casey and entering the runway area you will be crossing a cement bridge, once across to the left is the runway and to the right is the camping area where people come in and camp out for a few days. We saw one trailer parked there and on the trail between the runway and Casey we saw a Jeep towing a popup direction runway.

Don, yes the Indian reserve, my spelling is off I guess.

Should the cards play in our favor hparaptor and I might have a chance this fall to make another trip. I'm liking these atv trips.

Edited by Trailblazer

• 3 weeks later...