2016 Winter Gathering

Saguenay Bill

I would like to propose a 2016 Winter Gathering in Riviere du Loup, Hotel Universal, for the weekend of March 11 and 12. The cost for room, breakfast and buffet supper and taxes is $113.25CA, (double occupancy). We will have a room for ourselves for supper. Your feedback is appreciated.

Edited by Saguenay Bill

The only thing I am worried about is that a few times in the last years I have gone by RDL in the second week of March and it has been pretty dry trying to get into town, and we left from Montmagny(south) just saying...Maybe the "mayor" can comment better?

I have heard the Universal Hotel has some rooms that are poolside, with a small patio for each room with table and chairs. I heard its almost like sitting on the dock at camp overlooking the lake.

Rumor has it one of our members on Quebecrider has skipped a day of riding just to relax in the hot tub, get a massage, and take in a sauna.

A heated garage is only $10 a night for your sled. Bring a sleeping bag, cuddle with your sled, and you can stay a month for $300 ca. (so I've heard).

Word has it the mayor of Riviere du Loup is also now the Canadian ambassador to Lithuania. Should you do something really foolish and can't go home to your wife,

he will sell you a visa and one way ticket to this wonderful country, which I might add, hasn't been invaded by Russia recently.

Security at the Universal is said to be so good, that it is the only place in Quebec that Iceman hasn't been able to stick one of his 'Iceman' decals.

Word on the street is the Saguenay crowd has heard how good this area is and is making a move on it.

I have stayed there late in the season and could almost not make it back to trailer at the hotel because there was no snow to get in town and in fact had very little snow all the way back from Matane and some water crossings were getting bad , so you detour or skip it which is what we did. . but every season is different . just my 2 cents

"Security at the Universal is said to be so good, that it is the only place in Quebec that Iceman hasn't been able to stick one of his 'Iceman' decals."

Blasphemy... Look for it it's there.

Love the Universal.

Security? Like this?

Edited by iceman

"Security at the Universal is said to be so good, that it is the only place in Quebec that Iceman hasn't been able to stick one of his 'Iceman' decals."

Blasphemy... Look for it it's there.

Love the Universal.

Security? Like this?

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Operator error...

I have stayed there late in the season and could almost not make it back to trailer at the hotel because there was no snow to get in town and in fact had very little snow all the way back from Matane and some water crossings were getting bad , so you detour or skip it which is what we did. . but every season is different . just my 2 cents

That was 20 years ago old man, one life time experience doesn't account for several others.

Point taken though...it is in an area of the Bas St.Laurent that Is lower in elevation than the rest of the region.

Think snow

I have heard the Universal Hotel has some rooms that are poolside, with a small patio for each room with table and chairs. I heard its almost like sitting on the dock at camp overlooking the lake.

Rumor has it one of our members on Quebecrider has skipped a day of riding just to relax in the hot tub, get a massage, and take in a sauna.

A heated garage is only $10 a night for your sled. Bring a sleeping bag, cuddle with your sled, and you can stay a month for $300 ca. (so I've heard).

Word has it the mayor of Riviere du Loup is also now the Canadian ambassador to Lithuania. Should you do something really foolish and can't go home to your wife,

he will sell you a visa and one way ticket to this wonderful country, which I might add, hasn't been invaded by Russia recently.

Security at the Universal is said to be so good, that it is the only place in Quebec that Iceman hasn't been able to stick one of his 'Iceman' decals.

Word on the street is the Saguenay crowd has heard how good this area is and is making a move on it.

Sound like you have some good connections to be so knowledgeable of this establishment and region of Quebec. These poolside tables and chairs you have spoken of, would it be acceptable to sip a cocktail there after riding the the local trails??

Bill has made an excellent choice for the gathering both in the hotel and in the area to ride.

I ride out of the Universal Hotel four or five weeks each winter (as some of you may have suspected).

The hotel is top notch. The people in the area are wonderful. The grooming has been outstanding and the trails

are very scenic with so many old growth trees lined along the trails. This area has to be the capital of snowmobile

club houses with about one every twenty five miles.

A few thoughts. The restaurant buffet put out each weekend is very good. I would recommend using that buffet but eating in one of the private rooms next to the buffet.

I have also had good luck making reservations on line through the hotel or discount booking sites. It is so much easier than the old phone method. Make your reservations early as many know, if its a hockey weekend the place is sold out months in advance.

Some have mentioned low snow possibilities near town in March. Generally it is fine. I hit it bad just once over the years and most of those few miles to the deeper snow felt like grass under the trail and not dirt. Once out of town the snow gets deep quick.

The only downside I can think of is the bar at the hotel. It is very, very small.

Bill was very generous to set this in motion. Myself, had I taken charge of setting this us, I would be a wreck for the next several months worried whether enough people were going to show, worried about the weather and on and on. So give Bill your support by indicating whether there is a chance you will try to make this event. I have been to some of these gatherings and they are a great time.

mike

Hi Steve, the patios attached to the rooms at poolside are very small. Drinks are allowed. There would be enough room for you and I, and whoever is buying the drinks for us.

mike

Sounds good Mike, count me in. Maybe more people will hang with us than on the ride last year!