Her sled vs your sled

revct1

Sandi and I were talking about a thread we read on Doo Talk from a sledder asking "What kind of sled to by the wife?" There were many responses and some of them were putting the wife on a smaller older sled than the husband.

Our question to those of you that ride with your spouse and you both have sleds, what sled does she have and what sled does he have? Do you ride similar to each other or is one always waiting for the other? If the wife is on a smaller sled, does she feel like she is always playing catch up?

Thanks in advance for responding.

Jack :drinks:

Sandi and I were talking about a thread we read on Doo Talk from a sledder asking "What kind of sled to by the wife?" There were many responses and some of them were putting the wife on a smaller older sled than the husband.

Our question to those of you that ride with your spouse and you both have sleds, what sled does she have and what sled does he have? Do you ride similar to each other or is one always waiting for the other? If the wife is on a smaller sled, does she feel like she is always playing catch up?

Good question revct1! Many times it seems a woman either gets a hand me down from her husband/boyfriend or just a cheaper model that may be less powerful and have an outdated suspension. My wife has an '05 Vector, when we bought it I let her decide what she wanted and she got to ride one. At the time I was on an '02 Viper now I am on an '09 Apex GT. She loves her sled and it gets great gas mileage and it can run as fast as she wants all day. Many times I have opened mine up on a nice straight trail only to look back after a few miles and see her right on my tail. Another interesting thing is I have never used studs in fact any sled I have ever ridden with studs I have hated............INCLUDING HERS :lol: that's right she tried a sled with studs and liked it and I figured ya know what if it makes her more comfortable and feel safer that's what she's getting :good::drinks: As far as riding styles maybe I answered that I told her when she started riding always go your own pace don't feel rushed, and she has progressed to the point where she rides almost as hard as I do. I also have gotten a feel for how she rides so 90% of the time when I am leading I go at a nice pace for her and when I hit a hammer down section I go as fast as I want for a few miles and then slow down (if I have to ) till she can see me again. Works pretty good. :drinks:

Even though I don't have a significant other that rides with me, but I'll give my input. Consider what her level of experience she has riding. Is she new to the sport, or been riding for 4 years on the same sled? If she's just starting out, a used sled would be better to learn on, would cost less, if it got damaged, or she lost interest in the sport you would'nt be sinking a ton of money into nothing. Heart break comes if you just damage a sled costing more than 7 grand. If she's not into riding fast and aggressive, no point on putting her onto something with more than 120 hp.

You can't force someone to ride faster and more aggressive beyong what they're comfortable with. It's how they feel on their sled and set up to their riding style. My friend likes his steering a little loose, where I like a little reistance, but can drive it like a bulldozer. We have 2 friends that ride with us on occassion. One has a 600 polaris 2 up, the other has an Apex. I have an 09 Nytro at 138 hp, the Apex at 150, but I can still ride faster than him. So depends on the rider, not neccessarily the machine. My other friend and I ride about the same and he has an Apex, and we cruise at a good clip.

Consider as well, do you guys go on week trips, or cruise the trails like in Woodford, V.T. ? Also when shopping for a sled for her, have her sit on the different sleds, don't just buy on impulse. The ergonomics on the newer sleds are much different than older sleds. You could always take an older sled depending on what it is and make some changes. Gear it, change the clutch, and maybe pipe it which will make it run a little faster.

Like I said, I'm just giving input on my views and things to consider since nothing was said about how long she's been riding, or just starting out.

Hi Viper,

Your thinking along the same lines as we do. It really adds to the sport when you can share it with your wife and both have a good time and to do that she has to be comfortable. Snowmobiling is a great family sport.

A couple of years ago, my wife decided to lead for awhile. I like to stop once an hour for that ever so needed pee break and stretch a little (the wife doesn't like to pee on the trail, understandably). So, when she lead, 2½ hours and 60 miles later she stops. Yea she thought it was funny because she didn't even realize how long she was leading. :rofl:

Hi SnowIsLike Crack,

Good point in having her try different sleds before buying. Sometimes that is easier said than done but you can get a lot of feedback from her that way. Maybe a buddy's sled or a very generous dealer.

Reading the last line of your reply makes me think you may have thought the question was for my wife but my post isn't for us directly, we are just curious as to what other couples are riding. The topic had come up in a thread on Doo Talk by another rider and we got to talking wondering what other couples rode.

Who else out there is enjoying this great sport with their other half?

Jack & Sandi

I started my wife on a smaller older used 340 sled, I got a great price at the time and did not know if she would even like the sport. It was a good choice, she loved it and still rides today. she did hit a tree the second year. Did not destroy it, but plenty of damage and still ridable. After 2 seasons we both snowchecked and basically got the same sled just a different motor. 550 fan for her 600 for me. I again thought it was a good choice, it was light and easy to throw around and it handled good. On that sled she really learned how to ride and I tought her about different characteristics about sleds and what could be done to correct different handling issues. That is why she hit the tree with the first sled, it did not turn and she did not tell me so i did not correct the problem. 7000 miles later we snow checked again, this time we got identical sleds motor color everything the same. She does great the sled handles so good everytime I look back I see her headlights in my mirror. That is when I ride normal. When I really get on it lose her and have to slow down so she can catch up. Bottom line she rides mile for mile with me know she loves it. We already have rode 350 in 1 day, left after breakfast and returned before dark. So you can tell by that that she does clip along at pretty good rate. Bottom line if you want to do a lot of miles your significant other needs to have a capable equivalent sled that rides and handles the same as the one you are riding. Motor size does not really matter, ride and handling and comfort does matter!

Over the years we rode the same sled's. One of the thing's I always made sure was the sled the wife rode was set up for her and shen was comfortilbe on it. We now have 550 fan for her and I have Polaris fst.

We have been riding in Canada for 25 years now mostly in Quebec in that time we have rode over 100,000 mile's. I can't ask for a better riding partener. Looking for many more mile's of touring with her. :good::drinks: :) FARMEROLD & JONI

Edited by farmerold

Finally I didn't get a hand me down sled for this season. My boyfriend bought me a 2010 Ski Doo 600 E Tec Adrenaline model with the women's graphic paackage. He has the 50th anniversary sled from 2009 which is a 600 E Tech MXZX. There are a few differences in our sleds but it has more to do with how they are set up. His has the X package for suspension and mine doesn't. I got a seat with a bit more squish in it a windshield that is a bit higher. As far as power goes I've never felt that I needed a sled with more than a 600 CC engine.

If you are buying her a used sled keep in mind the suspension, I don't think anyone really wants to have a sore back at the end of the riding day.

Most important part is that I am warm...we are investing in warming suits for me this season for those -36 days up north.

post-598-1263010373.jpg

My philosophy is....... A happy wife makes a happy husband. I give her the best equipment I can find, keep her happy by keeping her comfy, warm, dry and safe! She is good for 175-200 miles every day in Quebec, push her past that and we will pay for it the next day. I NEVER push her beyond her ability and do my best to make her sled enjoyable for her to ride. I chose the GSX 600 LTD for her because its relatively light for her to handle, got plenty of power, wind protection, all the gadgets and its like riding a marshmallow. When we go, I keep the word VACATION in mind. Nice hotel, good food, hot tub and scenery. She has never been a complainer, about anything in life, and I enjoy keeping it that way! She is quite the hoot to ride with!

Hi FarmerOld,

I rememer reading your posts about your big excursion out thru Quebec and Ontario. Quite a feat. So many riders would love to do that and since Joni joins in, it must make it great. :clapping:

Thanks for your comments.

Jack

Hi SnowBunny,

Welcome to Quebec Rider. Thanks for the response. 2010 Ski Doo 600 E Tec is a great choice. :good: I think it is really important that the wife / girlfriend is on a sled that is comparable to his.

Sandi has a 2010 Ski Doo GSX. She loves it. I’ve got a 2009 Renegade. Same as you and your boyfriend, the female has the new sled. I think that is called role reversal, but that's good.

We started the post just to see what other couples were riding and not to pick out a sled for my wife. We have seen couples where the wife is on a hand me down or an older sled and can’t run the same as the husband. Unfortunately, the wife gets blamed for her ability and it is really the sled that is holding her back.

Thanks again and happy trails to you.

Jack :D

SnowBunny, one other thing I wanted to mention about clothing is we have been wearing Ski Doo's dentek tops and bottoms. They are light weight and pretty much wind proof. I feel you can drop two heavier layers of clothing for one dentek. The disadvantage is they are a little pricey but good things are usually expensive.

Jack

Hi NitroFish,

You couldn't have said it any better "A happy wife makes a happy husband". The nice hotel, good food and other extras aren't a lot more money when you look at the big picture. I think it is worth the extra few dollars for a nice place to stay as opposed to an "OK" place.

After the sleds are purchased, the truck and trailer to tow them, all the clothing and everything else what is $20 more for a nice room.

Thanks for your input. Maybe we'll see you on the trails.

I see it all the time, guy gets new sled, significant other gets the hand me down and then the guy wonders why they aren't having a good time!!! +whatever to "a happy significant other = happy you". I've also found it useful that our sleds "match". Same plugs, same belts, same oil, same MPG, and on and on.

I ride a Vector and hubby has a 600 SDI Rev X.

If he’s riding full out in the twisty woods trails yes he has to wait for me a little, in fields or straights not so much. This is more about guts than the sled. (I don’t feel safe riding that fast with trees and turns.) He can keep up with 800’s and more in the woods with his 600, so it’s not all about engine size.

I absolutely HATE his sled, I know I'm an exception as everyone says get the wife a Rev and she will keep up. Not me, I was raised on the old seating style and drive like a Grandma if I have to ride his. Plus I find the Rev very cold to ride, the wind blasts me.

I love everything about my Vector no smell, gas mileage, nice color....all except the weight, if I were to get stuck without help I'd be there till the snow melted.

To answer your question, yes I'd be upset if my sled was underpowered and I couldn't keep up in the fields, but even with my Vector I'm hardly ever hitting full throttle.

Hi SnowCrazed,

Very good. I’ve thought about the same belt but haven’t gone as far as plugs and other parts. MPG's are important too. You never know when you need something and it may be on the other sled.

Do you and your wife wear the same shoes? :rofl:

Thanks, Jack :D

Hi Xeena,

What year is the Vector and what size motor is it?

Hubby’s sled is a Rev “X”. If you’re light, I can see it being a little stiff for you and the “X” may have a shorty windshield which means COLD!

Stay with what you like.

Thanks for your response Xeena.

Hi Xeena,

What year is the Vector and what size motor is it?

Hubby’s sled is a Rev “X”. If you’re light, I can see it being a little stiff for you and the “X” may have a shorty windshield which means COLD!

Stay with what you like.

Thanks for your response Xeena.

I have a 2005 Vector. It has the 3 cylinder four stroke, 120hp.

It's the steering of hubby’s sled that I hate (not the suspension) and the ride position it not the same. I'm use to leaning when needed to slide around a corner, not possible for me on a Rev chassis. The Rev suspension does rule when it gets bumpy. His windshield is plenty high, but the wind also comes around the cowl underneath the handle bars.

This thread reminds me of something that happened to us up in Mt. Tremblant Park one year. There was 8 of us in a group. We were coming back to St. Zenon from a day trip to Mt. Diablo in Mt. Laurier. We were spread out pretty good. Well as we were rolling along, cruising between 80-90 mph, anyone who remembers that park about 25 years ago knows that this was normal for that area, this red Ski Doo Formula Plus came up behind the group and quickly knocked off one spot at a time. Whoever was riding this sled was cruising well over 100 mph! They finally caught up to the leader, me, and we opened it up for about 5 miles to the big warming hut in that wide open area. At times, there ski was right under my track around bends, but, I would not let them pass. Anyway we both stopped at the hut. The Formula rider didn't get off the sled, yet. As the others caught up, they all wanted to know if he got me because of how he blew by them like nothing. I told them no and told them how we hammered together to the hut. Well, this Ski Doo MX pulls up about 15 minutes after all this and the guy gets off, walks up to the red Formula, starts talking in French and then "he" gets off the sled. "He" takes off his helmet and it's a gorgeous blond girl! Come to find out, the girl wanted to try her new boyfriends sled out and he was riding hers! He said when they switched at La Macaza, he never saw her again. He couldn't believe our story about her and all she did was laugh! Sorry so long, but I wanted to try and paint a good picture of what might happen if your woman gets on a good machine! :girl_devil:

"He" takes off his helmet and it's a gorgeous blond girl! Come to find out, the girl wanted to try her new boyfriends sled out and he was riding hers! He said when they switched at La Macaza, he never saw her again. He couldn't believe our story about her and all she did was laugh! Sorry so long, but I wanted to try and paint a good picture of what might happen if your woman gets on a good machine! :girl_devil:

:yahoo: Love it,

Hubby and I passed a group once, we stop at next intersection and woman comes up to me to yell at me. She was taken aback when she realized I was a woman. HAHA....she's like how do you ride so fast, you scared me when you passed, I told her ride a real sled with mirrors and get rid of the Artic Cat.... :good:

This thread reminds me . . . . Well, this Ski Doo MX pulls up about 15 minutes after all this and the guy gets off, walks up to the red Formula, starts talking in French and then "he" gets off the sled. "He" takes off his helmet and it's a gorgeous blond girl! Come to find out, the girl wanted to try her new boyfriends sled out and he was riding hers! He said when they switched at La Macaza, he never saw her again. He couldn't believe our story about her and all she did was laugh! Sorry so long, but I wanted to try and paint a good picture of what might happen if your woman gets on a good machine! :girl_devil:

Hi GreaseMonkey,

Great experience. One question from reading your post. Did you mean "new boyfriend's sled" or "boyfriend's new sled"? If it was a new boyfriend, it may have been a short romance if she blew him off like that. HA! HA! HA!

You also could have bowed out gracefully by pulling over and letting her pass you. Then at the warming hut you could have said you were just waiting for your slower buds to catch up. :good:

Here's to all those good riding females :drinks: .

Jack & Sandi

Hi GreaseMonkey,

Great experience. One question from reading your post. Did you mean "new boyfriend's sled" or "boyfriend's new sled"? If it was a new boyfriend, it may have been a short romance if she blew him off like that. HA! HA! HA!

You also could have bowed out gracefully by pulling over and letting her pass you. Then at the warming hut you could have said you were just waiting for your slower buds to catch up. :good:

Here's to all those good riding females :drinks: .

Jack & Sandi

If I remember, it was a new boyfriend. Like you said, he probably bowed out of that relationship gracefully. I'm sure he didn't want to be out driven by his girl.

As for me pulling over, at the time, I had no idea it was a female testing my abilities. I just thought it was one of those "crazy Canadians". I wasn't letting him outrun me. The look on my buddies faces when she took her helmet and balaclava off and the long, blond hair flowed out was priceless. Jaws hit the ground. I'm just glad that I had a more powerful sled than her!