AdmdQ safety message

Greg du Vermont

While the AdmdQ continues to promote it's snowmobile safety messages throughout the quebec print, radio and television media. I will also continue my efforts to keep safety in the minds of all my fellow QR's. I'm not a doomsdayer, but I am a realist.

From AdmdQ information, here is the current breakdown of this seasons now 6 quebec fatalities. Several non fatal accidents have also occurred.

6 deaths on snowmobiles in Quebec as of January 13, 2010

The 6 deaths occurred after nightfall. (100%)

Male victims are 5 of 6 (83%)

Drowning accounts for 50% of deaths (3 deaths of 6)

The other 3 deaths resulted from a loss of control at least 1 could be related to speed and alcohol.

50% of victims were over 35 years (46, 45 and 37 years)

50% of deaths occurred outside of marked trails

At the same time last year the balance was 5 victims

Not all are young hot shots abusing speed and alcohol are they? They seem to be people much like us. Let's have a blast, BUT.........Ride safely and think about safety, use good judgement and expect the unexpected.

In a previous post I talked about the AdmdQ efforts to get emergency services more coordinated in un-organized territories such as Parc Larentides through L'etape. These efforts may soon receive increased credibility and attention due to a recent head on accident in the park between L'etape and St Raymond. It took over 5 hours to get the injured out. Keep this in mind when traveling in these remote areas. 0 degrees and 5 hours of cold and hurt (or worse) is no way to end the day. Due to the efforts of passer byers and camp residents, the injured will recover.

The AdmdQ is still involved with promoting increased requirements for instruction at snowmobile rental operations.

If you have never joined or or have not renewed your past AdmdQ membership, please do! All Quebec riders are needed to continue and expand the work of the AdmdQ and to increase the voice of the Quebec Snowmobiler. Your $20 also includes a 10% lodging discount at over 140 locations throughout Quebec.

Keep these posts coming. They serve as a constant reminder of the dangers that our sport can have if we are irresponsible. The more you read about the unfortunate accidents that occur, the more they should help one to think. I heard about a family breaking through the ice and 3 people drowned, one a 3 year old. Are they the 3 you're mentioning? I thought that happened in Vermont, not that it matters. How and where did the ice break?

Kinda off topic, but, to anyone's knowledge, due they periodically check ice thickness on lakes and rivers that have trail crossings or connections? Everytime I'm on water, I always wonder about that in the back of my mind.

The 3 that you are speaking of are not included in the AdmdQ report as they occurred in Vermont.

In the recent Vermont accident my understading is that 3 snowmobiles followed each other onto insufficient ice and each broke through. There were survivors, but 3 drowned including the 50 the old father, his 25 year old daughter and a 3 year old granddaughter/niece. Very sad. The accident occurred on Lake Dunmore and I do not believe that it was on any organised trail.

Unfortunatly the jury is in, on several life saving issues

1) Texting while driving is bad

2) Seat belts are a good thing

3) The ice everywhere we may go is very bad this year and not to be taken lightly

Be safe, ride smart, expect the unexpected