Information request: Northern Challenge Trail

Skidor

Anyone here ever done the Northern Challenge trail from TQ 3 North to Fermont and Lab City? My riding partners and I are putting an expedition together for next winter, looking for any first hand information from someone who has actually ridden this route. I've heard a lot of stories of someone who knows someone that has done it, but I don't trust any of the info I get from those stories.

I don't speak french, so if anyone here does and is willing to do some translations for us from any french forums it'd be greatly appreciated.

So far we've contacted a few folks in Lab City, the snowmobile clubs at both ends and FCMQ, but we haven't been in contact with anyone who's actually done it.

Thanks!

• 5 months later...

Planning has gone pretty well so far. It's going to be a group of 4 of us, two Gade 4tecs and two Gade 600sdis. Conquered the challenge of gas (24-28 gallons per sled, including the tank). We're trying to decide if we should extend at least two of the sleds to 146's with at least a 1.5 or 1.75 inch track.

Has anyone done this trail from Port Cartier to Labrador City/Fermont?

• 3 months later...

We've been in touch with him and I have his notes from his 2006 (I think) loop trip from Port Cartier East, up and around the coast to Lab City and south.

Not many take this trail. When Rob did his trip they ended up riding down the road due to heavy snow. It's looking like we'll be outside at least one night.

• 2 months later...

Mike...life got in the way this year. It was looking like we would be able to squeak by and get the trip in, but by early Feb, it was obivous we weren't where we needed to be. I'm still in the middle of moving across the country, one of the riding partners is relocating his business, and one sled has been on a tow strap a few times this year (reliability issue).

Plans are put off until next year.

Mike...life got in the way this year. It was looking like we would be able to squeak by and get the trip in, but by early Feb, it was obivous we weren't where we needed to be. I'm still in the middle of moving across the country, one of the riding partners is relocating his business, and one sled has been on a tow strap a few times this year (reliability issue).

Hi Skidor... sorry to hear, hope you have some better luck next year. This is also a trip I would like to do. I am told the snow is currently good from BC / PC east, I think myself and another riding buddy might spend a few days next week and try to ride east to sept iles maybe even HSP. will see how the weather holds.

• 3 weeks later...

sorry to here it was put off a year

we have plans on doing the lab loop next season

sorry to here it was put off a year

we have plans on doing the lab loop next season

Eric...If you are looking for riders on that loop keep me in mind.

Thanks

Phil

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Buying a business and 2 kids in college has slowed things down a bit for this season but planning on riding to Lab next season in/around Cains Quest time, will either go up this route or back down from Lab City/Fermont. With the race going out to the south coast other have of the loop will go that way!