anyone see the article on ONTARIO HYDRO

grumpysanta

Yes, I read the posting also. This is a very disturbing action which makes NO sense. The power company want sthe sled clubs to pay 50% of the land taxes along with other changes. What is the justification for the sled clubs to pay 50% of the land taxes when they use only a small portion of the power company's land for 2-3 months of the year? Is the power company's finances in that bad shape that this will make a difference? Is this just another way for the tree huggers to hurt our beloved sport? If the power companies are afraid of legal liabilities in case of accidents, there are other mechanisms to handle it. If this action is passed, it will shut down sledding in the province by causing the trail system to be broken up into unconnected segments and this action will surely spread to other regions. The lawmakers better consider the TOTAL economic damage of this action by a sinlge power company and the widespread ripple effect. The last report I read stated the sport of snowmobiling brings in 2 billion dollars per season into Quebec alone, I did not see a figure for Ontario. It is getting harder for us all the time. The provinces closing off parks, private landowners closing off their land, rising gas costs, now the power companies want to "tax" us on top of milder winters. I'll never quit the sport but it does get "old".

Jim

It does get old but we MUST continue the fight. We are facing it here in NY big time all the time. We MUST police ourselves as well.

Shane, you are right, we must fight and lobby with the same strength as those that oppose our sport. I agree with policing ourseles as well. Over my 30+ years of sledding in Quebec, New York, New Hampshire and Maine, I have seen a lot of trails lost due to landowners getting fed up with the disrespect they have been shown by a minority of people in the sport. It is surpring we have not lost more trails due to the trash and litter left on the trails (cleaned up in the spring by the clubs and land owners), people "buzzing" homes near the trails with excessively load pipes, people wandering off the trail in sensitive areas like tree farms and the list goes on. It only takes a few to ruin it for so many.

Jim

Is the power company's finances in that bad shape that this will make a difference?

Pretty much sums it up. Hydro One is a Crown Corporation & is looking @ any way to nickel & dime consumers. The province used to have reasonably priced hydro rates. Not anymore. We now have some of the highest rates in Canada. The governing party has gone on a stupid green energy fit that some states have also gone along w/ while others have said no to. The province pays more to producers of green for kilowatts, than they sell it for. Yes it makes no sense but that's the way how current gov't works.

There's been a lot of media coverage about this Bill. It was 2 years old, not sure if it's been pulled back or not.

One benifit for them is we pack down access to their towers in the winter so it is less costly for them to get in and repair . I have not heard of many accidents in the tower locations ,and we are all supposed to have insurance . for damage we cause. but when dealing with the government who knows what there reasons are. We have to fight to wake them up about the benifit to the economy . P>S. if you bring it in haul it out , its your garbage , why leave it for someone else....