Mont Laurier area conditons

Duster

Rode about 500 miles in and around Mont Laurier on the weekend. Mashed potato like trails need cold weather. North of Saint Anne du Lac was better only due to less traffic.

Rode from Mont Laurier on #13 and #63 and trails were garbage. Absolutely worst washboard trails I have ever seen. Didn't seem like any grooming had been done at all in days. True up near Mekos, Devil Mountain, Chutes were very good....but getting there via #13 or #63 was brutal. No reason to stay in Laurier in my opinion....trails too beat down and nobody trying to groom them up. We have ridden since Wednesday and did not see a single groomer or signs of grooming this section since we arrived. It is clear the free weekend trashed the section of trail mentioned and no efforts have been made to clean them up.

Edited by MXZ700RIDER

With respect to those trail conditions, what were the night time temperatures?,I think I know why since we had similar conditions in Tremblant. Yes the trails were mostly trashed by heavy traffic and the free weekend. It was mild when most clubs groomed for the free weekend and mild when everybody drove on them they never got a chance to set up. It was never cold enough all week to make grooming worth while, they don't like to groom unless we get cold nights to set them up or they are ruined after just a few sleds pass. We had no grooming here all week until Fri night when it got colder, but still not cold enough for a really good set. -5 fri night. I rode Sat morning Tremblant to Labelle on freshly groomed trails and by afternoon they were beginning to get chewed up.

It was definitely cold enough to groom the trails this week. We arrived and rode Wednesday and temperatures were below 32 f 0 c all week and colder at night. In all areas up north of Mont Laurier the trails were groomed well and firm. True really cold weather would firm up trails solid, but to not groom at all for a week just because temperatures are marginally cold is ridiculous. Many people from our hotel have complained similarly and some have left early. What can you do? Complain I guess then get on with life. :aggressive:   I learned today that apparently one of the 2 groomers for Mont Laurier area is broken.....and the other groomer did the trails way up north last few days... but not near town where they really needed it due to the volume of sleds.

Edited by MXZ700RIDER

The pictures from SNOBEELER are true. We rode those same areas recently and riding was very good good to great....unfortunately it was several miles of hell to get there (#13 n/s and #63 e/w around Laurier.) Maybe it will change once groomed....for future riders I hope.

Edited by MXZ700RIDER

I rode through Mt Laurier Friday and Saturday. The trails were moguled up and there was a lot of traffic. I just assumed my timing was bad due to it being a weekend but also due to recent thaw and or groomer issue. I did think to myself not to base out of Mt Laurier because of this. Anytime it seems we get near a city during a weekend will likely be moguled  

We were 2nd tracks this morning on 43 out of St Jovite. 

2 hours ago, actionjack said:

I rode through Mt Laurier Friday and Saturday. The trails were moguled up and there was a lot of traffic. I just assumed my timing was bad due to it being a weekend but also due to recent thaw and or groomer issue. I did think to myself not to base out of Mt Laurier because of this. Anytime it seems we get near a city during a weekend will likely be moguled  

We were 2nd tracks this morning on 43 out of St Jovite. 

Yes Diable et Rouge groomed all their trails Fri waiting for colder temps and most but not all again last night. If you we the second st of tracks out of St Jovite today, we might have crossed paths. 4 of us went for breakfast in Brebuf.

4 minutes ago, Cnc said:

Yes Diable et Rouge groomed all their trails Fri waiting for colder temps and most but not all again last night. If you we the second st of tracks out of St Jovite today, we might have crossed paths. 4 of us went for breakfast in Brebuf.

Looking at your avatar might have seen you at Lac 16 isles. 

3 Apexes 1 SideWinder.  Nice riding this morning. 

1 hour ago, actionjack said:

Looking at your avatar might have seen you at Lac 16 isles. 

3 Apexes 1 SideWinder.  Nice riding this morning. 

We were a venture GT, grand touring 1200, and a mxz. We were on the other end of the 43. Left montcalm ( weir ) down the railway bed and through st Remi to Brebeuf. Yes nice riding we had little traffic and only 1-2 sleds ahead of us on a Newly groomed trail once we got to st Remi. Railwaybed was not groomed overnight, few studded bumps and loose snow but still decent.

The mountain was in very good condition this week.  everything beyond 10 miles of Mont-Laurier was groomed condition.  I arrived on Wednesday and departed this morning, canceling my last night and headed down to Tug Hill area to find some snow and grooming.  13 and 63, and around town was the worst I have ever seen it in 20 years of coming to the area.  If you want to ride the Diablo, stay in the village or somewhere else more than 10 miles from town.

As for complaining to anyone who can improve the situation....forget it. I placed 3 calls to the # provided on the website for the Mont Laurier area....left three messages to please call me (because each time I got a recorded message asking for phone # and they said they would return call) and they have not. I just wanted to let someone know that there was no way they had groomed sections of 13 and 63 leading to town of Laurier in many days (at least 4-5). I know this for fact because we rode for three days in a row over the same moguled and rutted trails and on the 4th day which was Sunday found out from other riders they still were not smoothed out or even touched. No grooming leading to town.....no club or Tourism member replies when the number they provide is called....all of this unfortunately has not sat well with me. I will most likely forgo returning to this area....and will give my business to areas I have stayed at before where the riding experience was much.... much better. 98% of the time I have stayed at and ridden the Lanaudiere region and cant remember a single time in my 15 or so years of snowmobiling there when I had a bad experience and that includes rides around St Donat, St Come, De Matha, Zenon, etc.... Yes when we would come closer to a town...the trail might be a little more worn from traffic.....but nothing like the moguls in and out of Laurier this past week. The receptionist at the hotel who spoke to the President of the club because she had gotten so many complaints from customers apparently was told by him to tell customers the trails were groomed and in good shape....when clearly that was not true. There is an old saying "fool me once shame on you....fool me twice shame on me" All you can do is learn from it I guess, but I would imagine if this continues....this area stands to lose business.

Maybe staying at Meekos or somewhere north of town next time is an option. Less civilization....but likely also less beat up trails. Enough said.:hi:

Edited by MXZ700RIDER

Well that is too bad, been there many times riding from my house and staying at either village de Windigo or chutes de Windigo. Always a variation in trail quality as we move from club to club and the amount of traffic but never that bad. 

5 hours ago, MXZ700RIDER said:

Maybe staying at Meekos or somewhere north of town next time is an option. Less civilization....but likely also less beat up trails. Enough said.:hi:

I launch from Maniwaki always saddlebag and try to go around Mont-Laurier never through and yes north of there the trails are always better...

Hey there back off with the Mt.Laurier biz.

Well it seems your not an experienced enough rider to know where to ride and when. Last week it was very warm, warm all over and not cold enough in the evenings to groom. You hit it right for riding moguls, it was the best recipe for them. By taking a look at a 7 day forecast through out several towns in different regions across Qc, there are more towns then St.Donat, St.Zenon and Mt.Laurier in Qc you know, it would've helped you make a better decision. Just because you booked the week off at the office for sledding in Qc doesn't mean that the trails are going to be at their best because you're coming to town, you need to do some research.

in all fairness I rode from Joliette to the Cabanon on Saturday and it was all garbage, even St.Zenon, mogul city, warm day, lots of snow, lots of traffic, the perfect recipe for shitty trails but it's not going to keep me from coming back, when the cold comes back trails will shape up even in Mt.Laurier.

Mt.Laurier has a lot of nice riding and places to visit, i do hope you decide to return.

Edited by Trailblazer

Received a call back from Mt Laurier tourism department and the lady could not have been nicer and more understanding. She listened to my concern and said she would attempt to contact the club responsible for maintaining the trails for the Laurier area that I noted as being so bad and imo neglected for days. My goal here was not to create controvercy, or to go negative but to hopefully prevent future snowmobilers from the disappoint my friend and I experienced recently on this 15 km  stretch of trails13 and 63 to and from Laurier.  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...