The paths less travelled, recommendations

Greg du Vermont

Before I left on my big adventure I was on a ride that would be the basis for an article being written by our friend “Belles des nieges” for a future issue of Quebec’s Sports Motorises magazine to be entitled “The paths less taken”. The tour centered around a few lodging destinations that are typically out of the limelight, operated by people who make significant personal contributions to snowmobiling, whose establishments provide a quality experience and who definitely welcome and deserve our future business. :good:

If you have not stayed at these places or experienced the exceptional riding found in their areas, you may wish to consider putting them on your short list. :clapping:

The 1st nights stop was the Chalets of Daniel Mercier, owner of the Relais Onatchiway. While many have gassed up or lunched at Onatchiway, few have made it their days final destination. Taking the orange trails that are prevalent in Mont Valin Ouest area is a rewarding experience, add in a visit to the way cool cave at Lac Lamotte and you’ll enjoy a great experience on paths less taken. The Chalets can easily accommodate 6+ humans and are affordable, modern, clean and warm. Few people know of the chalet’s that Daniel built especially for us. The trail from the Valinouet side and one of the best Summit lookouts, is wider, better and quicker than ever and the Snow stays a long time.

From Onatchiway continue all the way across the wonders of Mont Valin, explore some or all of the 5 sommets along the way and make your final destination the well marked, privately maintained Pelchat trail which is prepared by Martin Pelchat without Federation assistance. Martins multi year commitment to this trail and the quality of its experience was undertaken with the goal of making his family owned “Complex Pelchat” in Escoumins a welcoming destination. Complex Pelchat features clean comfortable rooms, a great lounge, outdoor hot tub and a very nice restaurant across the road located directly on the Fleuve. They offer a value priced snowmobile package, have gas next door and will assist you in any way possible. Many are familiar with the motel in Sacre Coeur, go a little future and experience a new place to stay and the trail that Martin made for us. I told Martin (who by the way is a really fun guy who speaks very good english) that the Americans are suckers for free beer…………. maybe next year. I’ll let you know. :drinks:

From Escoumins you can continue in the Cote Nord region and check out the huge 90’ high suspension bridge which crosses the Manicougan in Baie- Comeau or take the scenic ferry crossing in Tadoussac back to the south side of the Saguenay and return to the Jonquiere area via the new 383 or Quebec via the 3.

Many QR’s seem to be riding to the Monts, why not make a real adventure, experience the best of the best and ride through the Monts. :yahoo:

We agree Greg. Some of the best riding can be found on the yellow local and green regional trails. Riding is what we think of first when we think snowmobiling but the socializing, the scenic views, the lodging, the owners and workers and of course the food and drink all contribute so much to the whole experience.

Jack & Sandi :drinks:

Awesome you could swing into there for a lunch after leaving Onatchiway and checking out the cave and a few of the summit lookouts. The season is not over yet in these areas. For those who have called it a season, I hope everyone will make many trips of something new and adventurous next season. You can't really experience all there is to enjoy if you confine yourself to a 100 mile radius of your comfort zone.