Mt Valin trip report

arubenstein

So we decided to go up

Excuse the format of the report, but I will be doing this from my blackberry

Left NJ 11am, as I write this we are about to pass through Quebec city. Drive so far has been good, a little snow here and there.

Will keep you updated!

How about an update??

depending on where they stayed little to no connection up there for the balckberry

Yep. Didn't plan as worked. No GPRS/EDGE in Valinouet.

Anyway, so, I am home now, Here is the scoop.

We drove up on Thursday, and it took longer than expected as through the park, it was bad weather. Lots of snow, icy roads. Stopped in l'Etape, snowing like crazy. Made it to Chicoutimi, picked up our keys for our Chalet in Valinouet. We were in bed by midnight.

Woke up to about two new inches of snow. Unloaded, and decided to ride up to KM31 for breakfast. On the trail by 9AM, and it was relatively quiet and the trails were OK. We continued Eas on 93 until the last intersection (near the Chute). Again, trails we OK, not terrible, not great. We looped all around the east, trails ranged from average to bad, lots of bumps. Trail conditions were not bad because of lack of snow, but because of lack of grooming and lots of use. We came back and stopped at Chapelle, quite a few sleds there. After that, up 267, down Bras Louis, which was very fast and good. Stopped back at Valinouet for lunch, and decided to venture south west and see whats what.

Went out 93 all the way to Saint Ambroise, and we found some very good trails, especially 367 and 328 - and we tried to follow 328 back to 93, but the trail just flat-out ended around Saint David. We had to backtrack all the way back, and due to lack of signage, we did a couple circles getting back home.

Total for Friday, about 250 miles, of which about half was pretty bad, 1/4 was average, and 1/4 was pretty good.

Saturday, we headed back up Bras Louis in attempt to get to Onatchiway, we made it to within 8 km of there when the trail dumped on the road and there was no end in site. We u turned, went back down, hung a left and went to KM31 for lunch. Holy cow, there had to be 50 sleds and standing room only for lunch. We decided at this point we had enough, made our way back to Valinouet over a terrible TQ 93. We loaded up, drove home. I was back in NJ in bed by 3AM Sunday.

Overall, not a bad trip, considering it was Dec 1. But, if you are limited in the time you can go up, there, one word: wait. It's not worth a trip. I was happy to put 350 miles on my new sled to dial it in. We saw an amazing amount of Mach Z's and REV XP's, strangely. I think I was about the only English speaker except for our Ontario neighbors in the chalet next to us (thanks for letting me borrow your cigarette lighter to thaw my lock, btw)

Good news is, if things continue on like they are already, we will be in for a really good season. Staying a chalet (No. 147) in Valinouet was very cool, excellent accommodations. Careful, there is a lot of grooming going on, even during the day.

See you up there around Dec. 26th.