Duramax Motor - Block Heater - Type of extension cord?

Wow! So you've had 5 diesels in what - 12yrs? Doesn't sound like you ran them the 200,000+ miles they should last so maybe you didn't own them long enough for problems to show up?

Gasoline is a solvent; diesel (and kerosene) are oils. Adding a solvent to a diesel engine can cause many issues but the primary one is injector pump damage. It may take awhile but sooner or later it is toast and the repair is usually expensive. Also, even the "less than 5gals" of gasoline you say you used changes the flashpoint of the fuel. This causes the equivalent of pre-ignition in a gas engine but because it is diesel you don't hear it.

I wouldn't want to try to make a warranty claim for a diesel that had gas in the fuel. I'd make a friendly bet that coverage would be denied as soon as they tested the fuel - which they WILL do these days.

Far safer to use an additive to prevent gelling than to take a chance IMO -

(sorry RMK)

I respectfully disagree with your opinion. Yes the chemical difference between fuel oils and gas are different. No the percentage won't cause pre fire. Yes the warranty will still cover injectors. Yes prolonged usage might have an effect but not catastrophic causes like you mentioned. Injectors are covered by gm for 100,000 miles most rigs show signs of Injection issues in or above that. Yes gm will replace the injection systems. No the computer systems wont pickup the fuel cutting like mentioned of 10 to 12 percent tank volume but will record the motor going into salvage mode if field with gas. My 06 and 09 both had injection done near 100,000 miles. The ford no the dodge the entire system was junk design and made by dodge not Cummins. That truck was an 02. The fuel would be the lube in that system but failures in supply to the system was an issue. I replaced 3 before dodge figured it out.

Now the big wow yes all rigs are still on the road I typically ran them 100,000 plus then pass them on to employees to run. You obviously made an assumption there. Now for the biggest wow the main reason I did this and understand what the manufacturer would and wouldn't care to know is all the trucks came from stockurger chevy in Newtown pa. We held stock in the company through are corporation as they did mine. They are family. But before you use that card all the warranty work was performed in Florida were we are based zero Influences from the for mentioned

Now this topic is about how to make the truck start in cold not typical exposed to south in his case the thread originator. That fuel system will have high percentage of moisture In fuel winter cut or not. Most say block heating yes that keeps the oil and block hotter than unplugged and some but not all heat the tank but not the delivery system. That requires assistance by owner. Now we all know what makes any car run fuel but it has to have a path.

The suggestion isn't the boggy man as you suggest. But a perspective of individual opinion. To you my method seems dangerous but that doesn't make it wrong it works with zero cause and effect.

At the time, diesels were rare in anything other than heavy equipment and trucks. The fuel suppliers didn't do much about filtering/quality b/c most everything using diesel usually had multiple filters and water separators w/drains. GM should have known better but rushed those things to market with inadequate filters AND poor build quality (remember: this was late 70's early 80's and everyone had trouble meeting emissions with all the 'smog pumps', etc. tacked on to engines breathing through new-fangled catalytic converters) Those motors were under-engineered and soon showed it. The later ones got better but by then it was too late.

I am guessing mice carried that dog food into the air cleaner of Dad's Caddy(?)

Our first thought was mice but we checked & there was a GM part number for it...LOL...they new it was a dog

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to each of you. I appreciate the advice.

Great images of the other trucks & best of luck to those of you also running diesel.

Paddy O