For GM Diesel Owners

vt_bluyamaha54

Here is a link regarding a class action lawsuit filed against GM for DuraMax engine failures they say were caused by the Bosch injection pumps failing b/c they weren't designed to run on US diesel fuel. It seems a stretch to me that Bosch would supply an injection pump to GM that they knew would be used in the US and not be aware of potential fuel differences - if indeed the fuels are different(?)

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/business/autos/general-motors/2019/08/07/lawsuit-says-gm-sold-trucks-not-compatible-american-diesel-fuel/1943084001/

I know many here have had issues with their diesels and it seems to be across all brands - not just GM. Ford now 'recommends' injector replacement/rebuild at 100k, Dodge/Ram have had many diesel issues for years, etc.

My 2 cents.  I've got a 2014 Chevy 2500 that I haven't had any problems with.  Knock on wood.  It has 180,000 miles on it.  It is maintained but nothing out of the norm.  I typically use the same brand of diesel but not a fanatic.

Is the Bosch system used on all Duramax engines or only some?

Jack & Sandi

The bosch CP3 has been used all through the duramax (cummins late 5.9l 24 valve and the 6.7l also use the CP3 style), although i am not sure if its the  same or not... its just pressure, the common rail is pressurized, and the injectors are electronic and do the rest, the first run of D-max injectors(2000-2004.5) were prone to cracking, and were under the valve covers and are quite a job to R&R...

Edited by turbonator