• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited


About kgallis

  • Rank
    Advanced Member
  • Birthday 08/04/1973

Previous Fields

  • Club
    NE PA Snow Trails

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
  • ICQ

Profile Information

  • Location
  • Snowmobile
    Skidoo Rev

Recent Profile Visitors

2,649 profile views
  1. I agree the key is preventative maintenance. It makes things complicated when the sled is still covered under an extended warranty. Do you preemptively replace drive/driven clutch springs and jack shaft/ drive axle and idler wheel bearings as normal maintenance? I do, but a friend helps with the ones that are pressed on. It's a tough call for someone that cannot do the work themselves....
  2. That Yamaha old fashioned riding position really sucks, at least for me if the trails are less than perfect. They are heavy as hell as well. I'll give you the Yammy engines are reliable, but the rest of the sled is just as much a POS as any of the other brands. Fuel economy not as good as the doo's as well. The phazer and nytro are more comfortable, but are tough to saddle bag with with the 5 gallon gas tanks. They are all non-reliable, but are fun as hell to ride. They are getting impossible to fix yourself with all the computerized BS on them nowadays. My 10,000 mile 500ss has the same likelihood of going down as anything else.... Just my 2 cents. Karl
  3. Agreed. We have scripted things in advance in the past, but don't do it anymore. We follow the nice groomed trails for a ~250 mile day. It really sucks to have to ride sub-par trails or have a really long day in -40 temps just to get somewhere for the sake of a reservation. 90% of the time the trails are great, but there have been times when a groomer has been broken, etc., it made for an afternoon of bumps. Not anymore.... Good luck!
  4. I would recommend getting a camera with nickel metal hydride (NiMH) batteries. They hold up much better in the cold than litium ion batteries, and you can buy them anywhere (usually just AA's). I have a Canon camera that works well in the cold (it is one of the cheaper powershots) and the batteries will usually last the whole week. Nikon and all the other major players make cameras of this type. Good luck! Karl
  5. Hi Forest, When you say touring, do you mean a saddle bagging trip where you make a loop over the course of a week? This is the way that we (Scranton1 and I) like to ride in QC. Is it feasible to think that you can attach your saddle bags to a rental sled and return a week later? Anyone have any experience trying to return a damaged sled? What happens with wear items like blown belts and bearings in idler wheels, etc. Is the renter responsible for these items? Thanks, Karl
  6. Here is a shot of "Johnny GPS" waiting for us to come back with wheels/bearings. It took us 6 hrs to find the parts. I think he fell asleep for a few hours and got a bad sun burn!!
  7. Agreed- we gave our buddy a hard time the entire trip- called him "Johnny GPS". We told him if the F-cat popped up north where it would take days to retrieve, it was staying there!! He's going to try to get an XP for next year. Chris- Have you touched the engine on your sled? Renegade 600 SDI if I remembered correctly? What are the plans for next year?
  8. Friday March 6th We began the trip by parking at Auberge Bealeau in St Joseph de Mekinac. We left Scranton about 5:00 pm and arrived at Jean's place at ~ 2:00 am and got a few hours sleep. March 7th- Lac Mekinac to Roberval We began the trip by leaving at ~ 10:00 am and heading to La Tuque and then 355 to Lac Eduoard. We had lunch at the place on the lake and were watching people ice fishing. They said the ice was 48" thick and watching a gasoline powered auger nearly bottom out before it reached the water confirmed the ice was thick as hell. We continued on 355 and made it to Roberval well before dark. I believe we finished the day with around 195 miles. 355 right around Lac Eduoard were really narrow with a lot of turns, but after a few miles everything was great again. The trails were very good. March 8th- Roberval to Chibougamau We got on the trails around 9:00 am and headed out on 93. We topped the sleds off in La Dore and then headed out. The trails were great and there was a ton of snow as we got 30 or so miles outside of LaDorre. This was the first time we made the trip to Chibougamau and it was a fair distance between LaDorre and the little relias outside of town. Our buddies firecat ran out of gas about 15 miles south of the relias, but we carry extra fuel on the doo's so it was not a problem. After a few fully dressed pizzas and some fuel, we rode the final 30 or so miles to the Nordic. We forked out the extra few bucks to keep the sleds in the heated garage for the night. A great day of riding, somewhere around 220 miles for the day. March 9th- Chibougamau to Sennitarre We started the day early, since we were in bed by 8:00 pm the night berfore. It was -30C at 5:30 am when we pulled the sleds out of the garage. Our buddy on the firecat was having a problem with hitting speeds over 70, so we did a little bit of wrenching before the ride on the driven clutch. Even though his sled was not running perfect, he insisted on taking it on the trip (instead of our spare rev) b/c of the new Garmin Zumo GPS that he had installed on the sled. The GPS was really cool with the trail maps overlayed on the screen, but he couldn't find his way out of a paper bag with that thing. Anyway, this was our first time on "piston alley" and it was great. There was three or four inches of fresh snow on the trail and we made really good time cruising at speeds of 60 to 80 mph, until the firecat took its first dump. About 30 miles outside of Qinnalin (the town that starts with a Q before Sennitarre) I smelled burning plastic. I had recently had replaced my 121" track with a 136" and tunnel/rail extensions from tracks USA. I checked my hifax, wheels, etc and everything was fine. My bro's "09 TNT was also good to go. A few miles ahead we caught up with the firecat and sure enough, the burning plastic smell. The bearings were spun out of the rear wheels in the suspension and the wheels were basically disintegrated. BJ and I headed into Quinnalin (I really wish I had a map infront of me for the proper spellings of these places) to look for parts. After some running around, we found a fellow that worked at the local lumber yard named Michel Lords- he had a sled shop in addition to his day job and we were able score two wheels/bearings from him and headed back to the sled. It was a quick fix, but resulted our buddy being stranded on the sled for about 6 hours. We got the sled fixed and gassed up and decided to make the rest of the run to Sennitarre. We arrived just as it was getting dark and finished one of the best riding days we ever had. I had to make three round trips (60 each) getting the sled parts, etc. and finished the day with 384.9 miles on the odo. BJ finished with 340 miles and Johnny GPS on the f-cat with about 240. They were busting my balls to get the last 15 miles I needed for 400 by riding around the lake behind the hotel, but I didn't want to get it that way. There will be plenty of more times to cross the 400 mile mark. Still, it was a personal best for me. March 10- Sennitarre to Clova This was another really great day. We got on the trail around 11:00 am b/c of some more wrenching on the dam firecat. The trails on 83E were great. It was a warm, bright sunny day. We took our time riding, taking pictures, just enjoying a beautiful day. It was really great. Interestingly enough, the firecat would only go 60 mph today (more on this in tomorrow's section), but it ran well enough not to slow down our pace. We arrived in Clova before dark and got the dinner/room package. Clova was great. The food was excellent and the basement of the hotel (old school) was a very comfortable place to hang out and watch some TV. We finished the day with ~ 175 miles. March 11- Clova to St Anne du Lac This was an iteresting day. It was warm, windy and raining. We wanted to head toward Mt Laurier, so could get ourselves back into a one days ride of the truck. We gassed up and hit the trail by 9:00 am. The f-cat started really running like crap today. It would only reach 50 mph in the morning, but we had no choice but to continue on. We took 83 toward Parent and then headed south on 13. Around lunch time, we arrived at a place to gas and get out of the rain for a while. After a few sandwiches, the rain stopped and we continued on. I had a feeling something bad was going to happen b/c the firecat was going slower and slower and when I would ride close behind, my eyes would water with the heavy smell of unburned fuel. About 30 minutes later, we had to stop to look things over. There was some metal on one of the plugs (probably burned a piston before the trip when he overheated the sled on a lake back in PA), but we had no choice to keep going. About 10 miles later the sled would not go uphill, but we kept pushing on. 5 minutes later it seized. We had to tow the sled to Hotel Tourista at St Anne du Lac, about 40 miles away. It took a about 2 hours, but we took our time and made it ok. We had about 190 miles for the day. No pic's for today b/c of the rain. March 12- St Anne du Lac to Lac Mekinac We left Johnny GPS and his blowed up firecat at the hotel and headed toward the truck. We weaved our way toward rt 63 and the Mt Tremblant park. It was slow going, b/c it got cold and the trails were very icy. My sled was actually running hot and it was sometimes difficult to ride off the side of the trail to lubricate the slides and cool the sled. After a few hours, we hit Mt. Tremblant park and there was enough snow for lubrication and cooling. The trails were flat and fast with very little resistance. We flew through the park and stopped at St Michael de Saints for lunch. All the trails around st. Michael de Saints sucked. They were not groomed and I felt like I was riding in Tug Hill again. We fueled up and after 155 miles, my rev took 31 L and my bro's TNT took 29 L, in a little over 3.5 hrs of riding. That fuel mileage is fantastic. We drove past La Cabenon and picked up trail 360 toward the Mattawin reservoir and then over to Lac Mekinac. It was a great day of riding, 274 miles for the day with no issues with any sleds, just pure enjoyment. We finished up the trip with about 1400 miles for the trip. It was one of the best ones that we have taken to date. The trails up north are absolutely great. I also reached 9000 miles on the sled. Unlike some of the guys on here, it took me 5 seasons to do it, but not too bad for a guy that lives in MD. We loaded up the truck and started driving on the 12th at 6:30 pm. At 12:30 pm, we arrived at St Anne du Lac. We loaded up the blowed up sled and headed for home. With the 9 hr sled recovery detail, we arrived back in Scranton PA on the morning of the 13 at 10:30. It was a great trip and we are looking forward to doing it again next year. Happy Trails!! Karl
  9. Pump gas was between .70 and .75 CAD/L in the St. Come, St Donat, St Michael de Saints area. It was as high as 1.09 CAD/L at the stations near the gates of the Mt. Tremblant park. Karl
  10. Here is a summary of the trip: Following last years season, I decided to keep the '05 500 SS for another year or two (dealer wanted my sled and $6800 for an etech b/c a sled with a little over 7k miles is not worth shit in our area) so I had a friend help give the old girl an overhaul. We put in pistons, rings, gaskets, thermostat, y-pipe (old one cracked), front suspension hats/bushings, upper and lower ball joints, drive axle bearings (jackshaft ones were still ok), driven and drive clutch springs, higher handle bars and a new windshield (not installed yet- waiting for hardware). One carb boot was borderline (small crack but not all the way through the boot and the other one was fine), but the new one was not in intime for the trip. We finished up most of this work at 11:00 pm on Christmas night. We fired the sled, checked for leaks and loaded it onto the trailer and headed for L'Esterel. After driving all night and getting about 3 minutes of sleep, we parked the truck and got the sleds fired, saddle bags loaded and headed out onto the ice in front of L'Esterel and my clutch started slipping. I coasted to a stop at the end of the lake and white smoke was pouring out from under the hood. 0.7 miles, WTF? The coolant reservoir was empty. Upon further inspection, the coolant hose between the carbs was off (must have been my buddy that didn't tighten that one!, LOL...). It took about 15 minutes to remove the driven clutch, air box and carbs to get to the line back on and tightened. I also noticed at this time the crack in the carb boot was a little worse than I remembered, but it was still ok. We re-filled the sled with coolant and it fired right up. We made our way up through St Donat to St. Michael de Saints and got a hotel there for the night. Everything ran good, including the other 500 SS, a '95 Arctic Cat Cougar with M-10 and BLT-10 suspensions and my bro's new TNT. The next two days were kind of shitty- periods of rain, but at least it was warm out. We did a one day trip from the hotel around the lake that starts with a "T" (I can't remember the name right now), across the Mattawin and then toward La Tuque/Shawinigan. The trails were great, 9/10 and it was warm with not nearly as much rain as was expected. The next day, we were greated to another warm day with light rain (it had rained hard all night). We decided to head back into Mt. Tremblant park and head toward Mt. Laurier. A few minutes into the ride, I noticed my idle hanging at 4k and not dropping. I checked the carb boot and noticed the crack had really opened up. I threw on some duct tape and it seemed to help- (with the warm temperatures, I was not too worried) and we headed to the Doo dealer in St Donet. It really started raining at this point. The Doo dealer didn't have the part, but the dealer near St. Come did, so we headed back into the park and over to St Come. We were soaked at this point (with the exception of BJ- his coat worked good) so we got a hotel in St Come for the night. Trails 9/10. The next day, the rain turned to snow and we had about a 1" on top of the frozen base. The trails were surprisingly good, and we made it to the doo dealer in about 2 hours (La Pointe Sports, I believe). They had the carb boot and I got it for $50 Canadian since the package was open (I guess it retailed for $90.00). The secondary clutch, airbox and carbs were off for a second time and the carb boot was replaced in the parking lot of the dealer in ~ 20 minutes. We rode back up into the park and then got back to the Hotel by about 2:00 to watch the NC State Game (BJ's brother in law was playing in his last game for them). Trails 6/10, since they were hard from all the rain. Overnigth, it snowed about 3-4" and the temperatures dropped. We decided to make a loop through the park, heading back to L'Esterel through N-dame de la Merci. Everything was running great until the Cougar gave up the ghost. I pulled the plugs and one of them had metal on the bottom. She was probably running a little lean and melted a hole in a piston. We got her started and ran her on one cylinder the remaining 25 miles back to the truck. Trails were a 10/10. It was about 5 F at this time. After sitting for about 4 days without being plugged in, the Cummins fired right up. We loaded the sleds and headed back to PA. It was nice parking at L'Esterel, easy to get to, nice gated lot and a very nice facility. Plus, it was only about 7.5 hrs back to Scranton, PA. We will be using L'Esterel as a departure point for our remaining trips this year. All in all, it was a great first trip. We had a few minor mechanical problems and lost the Cougar on the last day in an ideal spot- only 25 miles from the truck. I think we finished with just under 700 miles. We are planning another trip for late Feb/Early March and we hope to maybe get one more in there sometime between now and then (maybe a long weekend in the Mt. Tremblant park region). A few pic's are attached. 36 hrs with no sleep... Mattawin Dam Lookout in St. Come Catching a little air with the new sled