What GPS

Bill

I'll sell you one with the Quebec maps already loaded. They are RWS' maps and very accurate. I have a Garmin 60CS with altimeter, compass and mapping capability. I'm upgrading will sell for $245 shipped with maps and Ram mount. Unit is perfect, have all the cords, disc and manuals. Works awesome, got us home in a couple blizzards when I wouldn't have tried to find my way otherwise.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-GPSMAP-60CS-5...d/dp/B000189W8M

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...equestid=114889

Edited by S pump

OK , What would be the Best GPS to buy to load all the trail maps/waypoints into. How much are they and could I pay someone here to load it all in for me??

Thanks for any help.

Bill

Unfortunately Bill if you let someone do it all for you, you will never learn to do it yourself, and you will miss out on MANY of the benefits of having a GPS on your sled. It's called paying your dues. You have to know the unit inside and out. You gotta be able to add waypoints on the fly, get rid of things in there you don't need anymore, navigate the menus, use tracks, all kinds of stuff. Otherwise you will be nothing but frustrated when you try to extract some data you know is in there but just can't fine it . Don't ask me how I know. Are you old enough to remember trying to program your VCR???

The good news is you can take the thing anywhere with you between now and then and start to understand all the inner workings way before it becomes "mission critical" out on the trail in the dark at an unmarked intersection where if you only knew how to switch from "north up" to "track up" you would see why all your right turns seem like they're on your left and vise versa.

I've been using one for about 4 years now and I will say I still don't know it all but I feel very confident in my ability to use it and get what I need out of it and then some. Didn't start out that way that's for sure. I bet by the middle of your first season you won't believe how much you have learned and how much enjoyment you are getting out of it. Oh there will be a few time when you want to throw it in a brook, but don't. Anybody want to add to that??

I agree with easyrider 100% You have to do some of the loading and such to learn how it works and where stuff is found on it. They really are not that complicated. I have only had mine one year and will never be without one now. Yes I still have lots to learn on the operation yet.

OK , What would be the Best GPS to buy to load all the trail maps/waypoints into. How much are they and could I pay someone here to load it all in for me??

With you there Bill, its even worse for me. I'm in the U.K. and although I use a TomTom GPS on the road here, it seems you actually need a Garmin to download the trails onto or an SD card that only works in a Garmin ! So I decided I would buy a cheap Garmin just to use for the traials and I did start to read everything about downloading and overlaying etc. but closed the thread down and went and got a beer instead and started thinking 'do I really want the trails on a GPS' - unfortunatly I do!

Gary :sad:

It's really easy and makes sense once you get a GPS in hand............True most people don't use half the features(Bobler) but they are invaluable once you get the hang of it............

Don't need all the features, I could care less where I have been, I want to know where I am going, and I always know where I am, snowmobiling :D