Heading to Mt Valin Friday - Any Suggestions?

snowpromod

Hi All,

Love the site and we are leaving Cleveland, Oh Friday night for Mt. Valin - we should arrive at Auberge Carcajou Saturday evening! This is our first time to the area and were looking for any suggestions of must see/do places to visit that are within a day loop. I hope the weather holds out and we have good conditions!

Thanks

Hi Snowpromod,

We are going to the HI (Holiday Inn) Jonquiere late Thursday night. Where you are staying I think is closer to Mt Valin, St Honore / St David area. We are riding Fri, Sat and Sun and then trucking home Monday.

Look thru the thread in the Regional Forums / Saguenay Lac St Jean / Trail Conditions 2011. Bill has posted many of the places he stops at for lunch, rides, views, etc.

Mont Valin East is what most people call Mont Valin but there is a Mont Valin West which people ride but really don't refer to it in the same way.

Mont Valin East has 5 fantastic lookouts. I've got a thread in the above forum "Pics from the Peaks" that will give you an idea of what it looks like but it doesn't do it justice. Auberge 31 (KM 31) and La Chapelle are the 2 eating spots up on Mont Valin. Both are on trail 93.

Mont Valin West has Relais Onatchiway and a little further west is Scoobyraid. Both are good pit stops.

Don't be afraid to venture on the yellow trails. They aren't traveled as much and you will get good riding and good scenery.

The green trails are usually just as good. Unfortunately, trail 328 which is near where you are staying, is one of the trails that doesn't get groomed as often as it should. 328 from St Rose du Nord (the east end of 328) thru St David until it hits 367 is usually so so. If it is, don't let it discourage you. There are plenty of great trails you'll be on.

Heading south across the Saguenay River there is also plenty of good riding too. Trail 23 to Relais Apica or Trail 83 are botth good rides.

How many sleds in your group? What is your mileage range before you need gas? How many miles are you comfortable doing a day?

Jack & Sandi

Hi again,

I just looked at the weather forecast for this weekend. It is suppose to snow on Saturday. If you are driving to Quebec city and then coming up route 175 there aren't a lot of gas stops for the truck after Quebec city.

We always gas up in Stoneham which is a little north of Quebec city. You'll be on a four lane divided highway and then it will drop to two lanes. Shortly after the road changes to two lanes, there will be a McDonald's and Petro Can on your right. This is the last gas stop for 100 miles. The next stop is L'Etape. Route 175 is being rebuilt from a 2 lane road to a four lane road. Most of it is done but the weather can get nasty up in the park that it goes thru.

Jack

Jack,

Thanks for the info! We have 4 in our group, we try to plan around 250 a day - some days more and some less! Not sure on my range, new to me sled - I am thinking around 120 miles per tank is safe - but we will see for sure!

Hopefully they get some snow and the weather stays cold!

Thanks Again!!!

To give you an idea of distance, from where you are staying, a trip around Lac St Jean is about 240 miles or more depending on which trails you take. You can make plenty of 200 mile loops on the mountains or south of the Saguenay River.

We gas the sleds before we hit the mountain in St Honore or gas them at Valinouet at the base of the ski slope. There is gas at the relais that I mentioned before but it is a little more expensive and maybe not quite as fresh.

Jack